cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximums VI Formula OR Waiting for Maximus VII Formula

Beowulf_ROG
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I am going to build a new PC. At the Moment I am choosing the mainboard and am undecided about the mainboard, better to say which version of a particular mainboard. I like the Maximus VI Formula really and would go to buy it, but I am unsecure to build it up now or to wait for the new Maximus VII Formula.

What would be your advice? Would it be better to wait for Maximus VII Formula (coming in early june, I guess) or should I buy the Maximus VI now?

From my point of view there is not really much that changed from the Maximus VI Hero to Maximus VII Hero except the new RJ45. Am i false with that?
If I am right, I guess there would not be much changes from Maximus VI Formula to Maximus VII Formula. Right?

Any advice is aprreciated.
Thank you.
17 REPLIES 17

jab383
Level 13
There are also a few little things on the M7H. For instance, the specs list an external temperature sensor and, presumably, one of the chassis fans is controlled by it. As for PCIE and SATA ports, no change. In fact many of the other Z97 cards are cutting back to two PCIE3 slots like the Hero so that none of them run with less than 8 lanes.

If I had your dilemma, I'd also consider the CPU. A few M7 motherboards are out - for sale and in stock at Newegg - but there are no Haswell Refresh CPU available yet. The poor Z97 is an orphan.

It may be even worse for the M7F. I'd be really happy if it wasn't, but ... The overclockable, unlocked Haswell Refresh CPUs with K in the model number aren't due until even later than the M7F. That would be the big reason for me to try the M7F - overclocking. Without a K CPU, im' afraid it will be a long wait. It isn't that much more wait until X99 boards and the Haswell Extreme Edition.

Really want someone from Asus to say I'm wrong.

Jeff

jab383 wrote:
There are also a few little things on the M7H. For instance, the specs list an external temperature sensor and, presumably, one of the chassis fans is controlled by it. As for PCIE and SATA ports, no change. In fact many of the other Z97 cards are cutting back to two PCIE3 slots like the Hero so that none of them run with less than 8 lanes.

If I had your dilemma, I'd also consider the CPU. A few M7 motherboards are out - for sale and in stock at Newegg - but there are no Haswell Refresh CPU available yet. The poor Z97 is an orphan.

It may be even worse for the M7F. I'd be really happy if it wasn't, but ... The overclockable, unlocked Haswell Refresh CPUs with K in the model number aren't due until even later than the M7F. That would be the big reason for me to try the M7F - overclocking. Without a K CPU, im' afraid it will be a long wait. It isn't that much more wait until X99 boards and the Haswell Extreme Edition.

Really want someone from Asus to say I'm wrong.

Jeff

Actually, Z97 k-series is coming very soon.
Haswell refresh (like i7-4790k).

Broadwell is 2015 tho.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Chino wrote:
Wait for the Maximus VII Formula. You will not be sorry.

How do you know? :confused:
Just kidding. Thank you all for your advice.

Do you also know (maybe just your personal presumption) which additional price I approximately have to calculate for it compared to the maximum vi formula?

Beowulf_ROG wrote:
How do you know? :confused:
Just kidding. Thank you all for your advice.

Do you also know (maybe just your personal presumption) which additional price I approximately have to calculate for it compared to the maximum vi formula?

Nope. Can't tell you how I know. LOL

Maximus VI Formula + $50 more or less

Thank you. Thats not that much I thought. So I will wait until July. I guess then it should be in stock.

HappyBuddhaman
Level 7
I'm in that same dilemma, finishing buying all the parts this month / early next month, but, been without a PC since February, so I'm tired of waiting. If it doesn't launch and have retail availability by the first week of June (after 4 months, that's my absolute cutoff date), I'm going with the Formula VI and the 4770k. Gotta pull the trigger sometime, their will always be something better being released 6 months down the road.

Really tired of the "Hey here's some new stuff we're releasing, you'll see it in six months if you're lucky" announcements by manufacturers.

Haha, I'm just having this same dilemma too, and I've opted to wait, especially for the M7 Formula.

I've just went out of my way spending hundreds on parts, and left out the mobo, CPU and GPU, all in anticipation for z97, haswell refresh and 780/780ti 6gb cards. And from what's been said here, and seen else where, I'd also insist you wait. Even if you don't see HUGE improvements, you'll at least be prepped for broadwell processors for future-proofing.

Antronman
Level 10
It's being announced at Computex. Expect it to be in stock a week after.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me