cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Boot After disabling ASMEDIA Controller In Bios

Off2War
Level 7
Hi all, I recently built a new system and upgraded to an SSD. Reading a few of the posts on this site I learnt that disabling the ASMEDIA controller in bios (ASM1061 Storage Controller) would make the SSD boot even faster. After doing this my system now double boots upon cold start, just wondering if this is normal and if it happens to anyone else after disabling this in the bios?

I have the latest bios version installed and am using the Intel ports on the motherboard

System Specs:
i7 4770k
Gigabyte GTX 770 OC
Asus Maximus VI Hero
G. Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB 1600
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Samsumg 840 Evo
150Gb Raptor HDD (storage)
250Gb Seagate HDD (storage)
Pioneer DVD burner
Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIt
13 REPLIES 13

clubfoot
Level 7
No this is NOT normal. I was actually using the ASMEDIA port for the removable drive on the top of my case and just switched it so I am only using ALL the Intel ports. I have two SSDs in RAID0, two HDDs in RAID0, a BD drive and an SATA laptop drive all plugged into the Intel ports and I disabled the ASMEDIA controller in the BIOS and it boots up first time,....no issues.

Your system is pretty close enough to mine that we should experience the same behavior,....except you have a dedicated sound card installed!!

Did you disable onboard sound when you installed the SB card? Remove the SB card and test the boot up? If it works normal, move the SB card to a different slot.
The Asus Maximus VI Hero Club

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO, i4770K@4.5, Corsair H100i, 16G G.Skill Trident X @2400, MSI7950 xFire, C: Samsung EVO 250G SSD RAID0, BenQ XL2420Z, LG BD burner, Corsair RM1000i, Antec DF-85.

Off2War
Level 7
Yes onboard sound was the first thing i disabled upon setup. Funny you should say that because the first boot up after disabling the ASMEDIA port i had no sound at all so I restarted the pc and then had sound.

The double boot only happens after initially changing this setting (ASM1061 Storage Controller) in the bios, and on a cold boot (after ac power has been switched off)

Why and how would the sound card placement in a PCI slot possibly cause this as it has nothing to do with the ASMEDIA ports???

Off2War
Level 7
Removal of sound car makes no difference on cold boot, just tried it..

Also found this
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1006789/

Would still like double confirmation from people on here that this happens only on cold boot (when pc has been unplugged from power point or psu switched off)

clubfoot
Level 7
OH,...you are totally turning off power to the PC power supply?!!! Why?
I your intention is to save energy by having the PC power supply off all the time,...it will be miniscule at best and would definitely result in odd boot ups 😞

I don't disconnect the power to my power supplies on any of my PCs. I just turn them on and off as needed or in the case of my son's PC it powers itself off when not used for some time.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO, i4770K@4.5, Corsair H100i, 16G G.Skill Trident X @2400, MSI7950 xFire, C: Samsung EVO 250G SSD RAID0, BenQ XL2420Z, LG BD burner, Corsair RM1000i, Antec DF-85.

Off2War
Level 7
All i would like is confirmation from other users that also have this feature feature disabled, that yes if you shut down your pc properly from windows, then for whatever reason turn the psu off or remove power cable from the wall that the computer will double boot (turn on then turn off then turn on and startup normal) upon next start up due to this feature being disabled. Just to put my mind and others at ease

Off2War wrote:
All i would like is confirmation from other users that also have this feature feature disabled, that yes if you shut down your pc properly from windows, then for whatever reason turn the psu off or remove power cable from the wall that the computer will double boot (turn on then turn off then turn on and startup normal) upon next start up due to this feature being disabled. Just to put my mind and others at ease

I have Asmedia disabled and on cold boot I get the double start as well. I think a double start on cold boot is common with this board based on reports in several forums.

I am not sure if it is related to the Asmedia being disabled or something else. This is just one of several gremlins that this board has, the worst being the clock freeze. Be thankful if you don't have that.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Unlike what other peeps said the Mobo does still have standby power to it in a modern PC.

Powering down the mains can make my boot take longer but not checked if I have same issue as OP as do not use the 3rd party add ons (any of them).

Pentium4
Level 7
Off2War, yes I have this annoying problem on my pc as well. I always do a total shutdown (including switching the power off) when I am not using the computer, and unlike clubfoot's suggestion that it is to save power, which is totally off the mark. I have always done this with every pc I've had from day one, if I'm not using the pc then there is no power - period!!. So to recap, and confirm your question Off2War, on a total power off, I always get the double boot.
INTEL INSIDE
* Asus Maximus XI Hero * Intel i9 9900K CPU * HyperX 4000MHz Predator RGB 16Gb DDR4 Ram *
* ViewSonic VX3211 32" 4K Monitor * Intel UHD 4K Graphics * Samsung 970 EVO 1Tb NVMe.M2 *
* A-Jazz GTX USB Gaming Mouse * ROG SupremeFX 5.1 Audio * Cougar Vantar RGB USB Keyboard *
* Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Mid Tower Case * Corsair RM1000i Power Supply (100% Modular) *

Pentium4 wrote:
Off2War, yes I have this annoying problem on my pc as well. I always do a total shutdown (including switching the power off) when I am not using the computer, and unlike clubfoot's suggestion that it is to save power, which is totally off the mark. I have always done this with every pc I've had from day one, if I'm not using the pc then there is no power - period!!. So to recap, and confirm your question Off2War, on a total power off, I always get the double boot.

Why do you consider my response "off the mark"?

Why else would anyone switch off their power supply after shutting down their PC? You realize that unless you actually pull the power cord from the power supply there is still power going to it,...right? Just not the motherboard!

What if the Z97s come with the same "feature"?

At the end of the day it's your PC,....rock on.