New ROGer Array

Question Maximus VI Multi GPU & SSD Caching

Hi Everyone,

I got some queries and concerns with my current build. Lets start with what I have right now.
    Apologies in advance if I have posted on the wrong Forum

Mobo : Maximus VI Formula
    CPU : Intel i7-4770k
    RAM : 16GB (2x8) Gskill Trident X - 2400Mhz (XMP enabled)
    GPU : Asus GTX 760 DCU2 2GB OC (plugged in on 1st PCI-e x16 slot)
    SSD (BOOT DRIVE) : ROG RaidR Express (plugged in on 3rd PCI-e x16 slot)
    PSU : Corsair RM1000

Everything is currently running stock as I haven't gone around to water cooling it.

So here's my queries:

1. I read somewhere that you cannot run SLI anymore if you have a non graphics card occupying the third x16 slot (in my case, an SSD) but you can still run Crossfire.. Is this proven to be 100% true? If that is so, then should I be ok if I run two R9 290X's on Crossfire (1st & 2nd slot) and still keep the Raidr on the 3rd slot?

2. I also plan on populating the NGFF slot with maybe a 64gb NGFF card and use it as an SSD cache for a SATA3 HDD.. Is this even possible? Shall I plug the HDD on the Asmedia or the Intel controller? and would this not conflict with the GPU + SSD since the NGFF also uses PCI-e lanes?

Thanks in advance for your clarifications!

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array jab383 PC Specs
    jab383 PC Specs
    Motherboard24/7 rig : Maximus VI Extreme
    Processori7 4790K
    Memory (part number)16GB Mushkin Redline 2400 10-12-12-28 + 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 10-12-12-31
    Graphics Card #1AMD Firepro W5000
    Sound CardM6E Supreme FX
    MonitorDell U2413
    Storage #1Kingston SH103S3240G SSD
    Storage #2Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB
    CPU CoolerCustom water loop, Delidded, Liquid Metal TIM
    CaseCoolerMaster HAF XM
    Power SupplyCorsair HX-750
    Keyboard Logitech G710+
    Mouse Logitech M705
    OS Windows 7 64 Pro

The 4770K has only 16 lanes of PCIE3 available. When anything is plugged into the 3rd PCIE3 slot, these 16 lanes are split among the slots x8/x4/x4. SLI needs x8 per slot minimum, so what you read is correct -- anything in that third slot, graphics or not, precludes SLI.

The ngff slot uses PCIE2 lanes from the z87 and will not conflict with the GPU. Look among the ROG guides for recent write-ups on ngff cards -- size, keying etc to fit ROG cards.

Jeff

New ROGer Array

Thanks!

Yes, I am already aware of the physical dimensions of NGFF that I must consider for it to fit and work properly..

As for my last query, any ideas if setting the NGFF as an SSD cache for a Sata3 HDD would work like a charm? or is it useless and it would be better if I use a common Sata3 SSD as my Cache?