Level 7
Hi community,

To begin my configuration :):
ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
I7 4930K @3.4 OC at 4.4
2x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400 Mhz
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked

I owned a news nice pc since 3 weeks.
In the early days I looked naively temperature provided by ASUS.
"Cool, 45 degrees full load"

Finally I discovered the core temp, and I disappointed.
72 degree full load.
I must say that I overclocked the processor with a vcore of 1.300.

The temperature is it normal for watercooling?

2x140 mm fans are placed at the top with the incoming air for watercooling and one 200 mm fan to the HDD.
There is a fan to the rear.

How can I improve the cooling?

Thanks for help
43 REPLIES 43

Antronman
Level 10
It depends on the chip.
You could be overvolting. Or you just have one of the worst chips in the history of X79.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

dorianbz
Level 7
Really? 😞

I lowered the default vcore because it was much more high

Maybe I can increase the cooling process by changing the stock fans of add 2 more fans to make a push pull.

Heini
Level 11
dorianbz wrote:
2x140 mm fans are placed at the top with the incoming air for watercooling and one 200 mm fan to the HDD.
There is a fan to the rear.
How can I improve the cooling?

I had similar problem when a cooler mfg said to have fans incoming. On a whim I reversed the w/c fans to exhaust and the cpu and gpu temps dropped to normal range. It just didn't make sense to push the hot air from the radiator back into the case. It may be worth a try?

Heini wrote:
I had similar problem when a cooler mfg said to have fans incoming. On a whim I reversed the w/c fans to exhaust and the cpu and gpu temps dropped to normal range. It just didn't make sense to push the hot air from the radiator back into the case. It may be worth a try?

What do you mean? The fan pulled the air from the radiator? I could try indeed.

Push / pull should yield an improvement when compared to the same RPM with one set of Fans...what size of Rad? Generally increasing Rad Real Estate and fans helps

My rad has the size of two 120 mm fan side by side. (I made a mistake it's not 140mm but 120 mm)
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/seidon-240m/

That does seem a bit high for that clock and voltage. What is your ambit temp? what are your idle temps? Typically the fans and rads will bring the water temp in your loop to ambit temp. So if the air outside the case is cooler that the air inside the case your water temp will drop and so should your cpu temp.

My IDLE core temp are about 31°c and ambiant temp 20°c

Of course this is the temps of the core, the package temp is different and the cpu temp provided by asus is different again.
I don't know where the sensors are placed.
The Tjunction of cores are 95°C

dorianbz wrote:
What do you mean? The fan pulled the air from the radiator? I could try indeed.
My rad has the size of two 120 mm fan side by side. (I made a mistake it's not 140mm but 120 mm)
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/seidon-240m/

I have FX9590 that came with an Asetek cooler. The instructions said to set the fans to pull air from outside the case to cool the radiator. I didn't like the temps so as an experiment I reversed the fans to pull air from inside the case and exhaust it outside. The result was a 12-14dC temp drop on the cpu so I left the fans blowing outwards and all went well.

EDIT to add....... My Cooler Master HAF XB EVO case allows for a lot of air to enter from any/all directions. So if you set yous up to exhaust through the radiator be sure it has ample cool air entering from elsewhere to get some positive air flow..

rjbarker
Level 11
Push / pull should yield an improvement when compared to the same RPM with one set of Fans...what size of Rad? Generally increasing Rad Real Estate and fans helps 😉

meankeys
Level 13
That does seem a bit high for that clock and voltage. What is your ambit temp? what are your idle temps? Typically the fans and rads will bring the water temp in your loop to ambit temp. So if the air outside the case is cooler that the air inside the case your water temp will drop and so should your cpu temp.

meankeys
Level 13
So your using AI suite to monitor your temps? Try using core temp or real temp but only use one program at a time as you will get misleading readings using more than 1.

meankeys wrote:
So your using AI suite to monitor your temps? Try using core temp or real temp but only use one program at a time as you will get misleading readings using more than 1.

When I started Yeah I used AI Suite to monitor.
Now I use core temp or real temp that gived me of course higher temperature.

Fan expert use the Asus temperature to adjust fan rpm.

Moreover, it is with these more specific software I've seen the cores temperatures.