cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW DD + SSD, how to install windows on SSD?

zecari
Level 7
Hello everyone!

I'm very happy to join the G750 community, this laptop seems to be amazing, but asus was not so intelligent when they prepare it!

I have two hard drive:

HDD
SSD

Of course i would like that my Windows 8 version go to the SSD, but asus installed it on my HDD, and i research since 3 hours how to erase all, and install properly on the SSD, but i havnt any CD.... Ans when i launch "ASUS Backtracker" that told me that it's only compatible with asus laptop, so i couldnt access to it ... (lol)

Help me please 😞

Thank you
10 REPLIES 10

Ace0751
Level 7
You could use the backtracker which there is a thread for that. Another option is to clone the HDD to the SSD just need to know what SSD cause that company may have a program that will clone the drives. I bought the new JM series a couple weeks ago and bought a 256gb samsung SSD and I cloned it instead of using the backtracker.
Intel I7 950, MSI Radeon 290x, Corsair Dominator GT 12GB 2000mhz, 256GB Samsung pro, 2TB WD Black, Danger Den Custom Case, Liquid Cooled

zecari
Level 7
thank you, i'll try the clone, which log did you use?

About the Backtracker, like i said, that doesn't work for me...

zecari wrote:
thank you, i'll try the clone, which log did you use?

About the Backtracker, like i said, that doesn't work for me...

zecari, Backtracker shouldn't give you that error message, which version are you running? v3.0.3 is newest here, for Windows 8 - there isn't a Windows 8.1 specific version...

http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS%20Backtracker/HelpDesk_Download/

I would complain to Asus that Backtracker isn't working, and give them a screenshot of the error message. I would ask them where the Windows 8.1 version can be downloaded - please share their response here.

You can register a login and your laptop here and file a Technical Inquiry:

http://vip.asus.com

Using Asus Backtracker to build a fast USB 3.0 flash drive is the easiest way to restore to a new SSD, very fast.

Update: zecari, I found a newer version of Backtracker in the JM download area - v3.0.4 and it is in the Windows 8.1 download area - under Utilities 🙂

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G750JM&hashedid=hk9WNtlEOFPl0Q7s

Before Asus Backtracker I used Macrium Reflect to clone from a 1TB drive to a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro, which also was very fast. Macrium reflect lets you resize the destination partition size, which makes it easy to clone to a smaller drive than the original.

Pull the drive from the 2nd bay and put the new SSD in the 2nd Bay, clone, and then swap the new cloned SSD into Bay 1 to boot - it is easier to swap it physically than to go through all the BIOS Secure Boot changes required.

I put the old 1TB boot drive into an external USB 3.0 to use the free space, but I kept the original partitions and boot for future use - in case I need to return the laptop for service - I don't want to send my own personal boot drive.

Macrium Reflect
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Thank you for this answer 🙂

I'll go to the VIP to regist my machine, but i was surprise to, i had v3.0.3 so i should try the v3.0.4 but i really think that will not change something.

I cloned the HD to the SSD, now i'll try to change the boot setup to boot directly to the SSD, then i'll format my HD to be clean 🙂

I actually have windows 8 and, after that i'll try to install the windows 8.1

zecari wrote:
Thank you for this answer 🙂

I'll go to the VIP to regist my machine, but i was surprise to, i had v3.0.3 so i should try the v3.0.4 but i really think that will not change something.

I cloned the HD to the SSD, now i'll try to change the boot setup to boot directly to the SSD, then i'll format my HD to be clean 🙂

I actually have windows 8 and, after that i'll try to install the windows 8.1

You don't need to be "clean", but you might need that boot drive / recovery partition to recover from a problem in the future, so I would suggest leaving it as is, and use the DATA partition space if you need it.

Drives are so cheap you can put that original drive on the shelf to use as a boot drive to send back to Asus for laptop service in the future, or put it back in to boot from and make a new Asus Backtracker recovery flash drive.

It is a false economy to blow away your only recovery method - it would be like throwing away your recovery DVD's, if they still shipped those 🙂

Ace0751
Level 7
Just swap the drives, don't need to do any boot setups.
Intel I7 950, MSI Radeon 290x, Corsair Dominator GT 12GB 2000mhz, 256GB Samsung pro, 2TB WD Black, Danger Den Custom Case, Liquid Cooled

zecari
Level 7
It's very easy to do, so i'll prefer to do properly on bios, i'll try and come back 🙂

zecari wrote:
It's very easy to do, so i'll prefer to do properly on bios, i'll try and come back 🙂

zecari, it isn't easy to do in UEFI with Secure boot, and it traps a lot of people, why not just swap the drive positions? It is safe, quick, and it works. 🙂

zecari
Level 7
i would like to use Backtracker but it doesn't work 😞