cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z87 Deluxe 802.11ac, how to tell if its connected to AC signal?

carlosriosness
Level 7
Hello,

I have a deluxe board, i hope i am still allowed to join the community.

The board comes with AC built into it, and i have a netgear 6300 v2 AC router. I have enabled the AC on the router and even played with disabling the other bands.

How do i know if i am actually connecting using AC? The Windows built in Wifi connection panel in the task bar labels it as "N". I have installed the latest Wifi Drivers/software from Asus.

example:
connected - HomeWifi - N

Should there be an Asus wifi program over the stock windows networking one? should it say AC?
IX Formula and Z390i
19 REPLIES 19

Praz
Level 13
Hello

In the Network and Sharing Center click on the adapter and check the connection speed.

117Mbps - 144Mbps - its alternating, but staying around 130Mbps mostly. I am hardwired to a 100mb switch, so its staying faster then my LAN1 (100mb), i guess its time to upgrade that switch.

I know AC isnt going to hit the numbers on the box, but i do have an "excellent" connection, should it be more?

thanks for the tip!
IX Formula and Z390i

Tokens210
Level 10
The easiest way I do things like this is thru the names

Currently I have a netgear b/g/n/ac dual band router, I believe I currently have ac off as until recently I didn't have a device to use it but with wireless I named the networks

NetgearN-5.0
NetgearG-2.4

That way when selecting networks I know exactly which I'm choosing

When I turn ac on that will become
NetgearAC-
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Thats what i did in my different test. I named the AC "CastleWifiAC", and disabled the other option (i forget if it was G or N). I also tried both Wifi networks "CastleWifiN" and "CastleWifiAC" at the same time. now they are both on with the same name. "castleWifi"

in every test to every SSID it showed the same thing for "Radio Type",. if i place my mouse over the "CastleWifi" it shows the following

Name: CastleWifi
Signal Strength: excellent
Security Type:WPA2
Radio Type: 802.11n
SSID: CastleWifi

NOTE - i do not live in a castle, i happen to live on a street with the word Castle in it.
IX Formula and Z390i

Tokens210
Level 10
That's strange, windows maybe renamed the WiFi, my PC has done it where I connected to a WiFi, then no matter what I did wired connection or a different wireless one it all had the same name

Windows like to pull that a lot, windows network connection setup and even how it works has sucked since xp, vista was absolutely awful at it, 7 has gotten better but still seems to have vista issues like just changing things itself lol

Personally never tried anything else as I don't own a touchscreen so there's no point in using the windows 8 with it billboard android type tiles lol
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Praz
Level 13
Hello

It is about 45 - 50 feet and 3 walls between my router and AC adapter. I get a connection speed between 460Mbps and 550Mbps.

nice to know. i am way off then. i am probably around 30 ft away with a thin door (that is usually open) between my computer and the router.

what model MOBO do you have, is it an Asus with the wifiGO feature?
IX Formula and Z390i

carlosriosness wrote:
nice to know. i am way off then. i am probably around 30 ft away with a thin door (that is usually open) between my computer and the router.

what model MOBO do you have, is it an Asus with the wifiGO feature?

Hello

I get these speed with quite a few ASUS motherboards. The screenshot below is from the Z97 Deluxe. From an elevated command prompt type the command shown below to check that your router is configured for 802.11AC.

thanks for the tip. yeah mine shows up as Radio Type: 802.11n still. i will play with the router later and try again. if you have an extra Z97-Deluxe laying around you can always ship it and i can do some better testing, haha.

update, kept playing with the router, changed SSID to CastleWifiAC (which i have done before). now under adapter settings it shows up as 468Mbps, but with the cmd entry it shows up as 802.11n.

Is it better to have 2 separate SSID's? I thought the whole point was to combine them into 1 extra fast connection.
IX Formula and Z390i