cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme raid set up SSD's problem

samarlian
Level 8
I have just purchsed 2 x Samsung Evo 840 Pro ( 256Gb )

Never set raid up before on this board need a little help

Also whats the best Intel drives and which ports are Intel on the board , is the sata 3 6gbs cables that came with the board best to use or purchase different ones

Will be installing w8.1pro via UEFI mode from a bootable usb stick

thanks in advance
18 REPLIES 18

taderater
Level 7
samarlian wrote:
I have just purchsed 2 x Samsung Evo 840 Pro ( 256Gb )

Never set raid up before on this board need a little help

Also whats the best Intel drives and which ports are Intel on the board , is the sata 3 6gbs cables that came with the board best to use or purchase different ones

Will be installing w8.1 via UEFI mode from a bootable usb stick

thanks in advance

1. Can't help you with the drives. It's a function of a lot of things like price vs budget vs speed vs reliability vs size etc. However, those EVOS are really good drives. I used them in a build for a friend on his RIVE IV. Perhaps others will weight in on this for you.
2. Do a uefi windows install per link here; (sticky on forum home page)
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30520-RAMPAGE-Windows-8-7-UEFI-Installation-Guide&country=&...=

3. RAID install is detailed here;
http://rog.asus.com/tag/raid-uefi-setup/

4. The cables with the board are fine.
5. If you don't have the manual get it from the ASUS site for the board and that will detail the sata ports. I don't have the RIVE IV any more so I don't have the manual.

Hope this helps and all the best.
Rampage IV Extreme BE, Intel 4960X, G-Skills Ripjaws Z F3- 2133C10Q2-64GZM, 2 ADATA SX900 512 GB SSD RAID 0, 4 Kingston Hyper X 120 GB SSD RAID 0, Pioneer BDR 2207, Segate 500GB HD, WD Velociraptor 600 GB (2), HD XSPC Cooling Push Pull c/w Heatkiller 3 CPU Block, Asus GTX690 (2), Asus VG278H, Asus VS208N, Xonar Phobus, Corsair 1200AX, Win 7 Ultimate UEFI

thx for that all i need to know now is which sata ports are the intel ones and the best intel software to install for motherboard

Melting_Point
Level 10
The 4 black sata ports are Intel sata 2, and the 2 red ones right next to them are the Intel sata 3 ports. The remaining 2 (red) ports are the ASMedia sata 3 ports.

P.S. You can download the manual from the ASUS website.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

samarlian
Level 8
thx for info

samarlian
Level 8
Ok had a bad evo ssd now I have 2 new Samsung Evo 840 pro , got w8.1 pro installed via uefi bootable usb and using ctrl and I. Got Windows up and running been onbtonasus website for w8.1 drivers . It does not like the chipset driver and it wont install the IRST drivers says platform not supported . Any ideas

samarlian
Level 8
Can anyone point me in the right direction for the IRST and X79 chipset drivers for w8.1 as the ones on the product support site are not working

HiVizMan
Level 40
Go directly to the Intel download centre for drivers for your system. Win8 if installed with a internet connection will do all the drivers for you by the way. The IRST I do get from Intel and not ASUS.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

samarlian
Level 8
thx for help I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff so will Intel search my system and install the required drivers

HiVizMan
Level 40
Like I said very few drivers actually need installing with Win8 The OS does it all if you have a internet connection during the install.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.