cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ - Boot Failure

KazariK
Level 7
Hey all..

So I have an issue with my new G750JZ laptop..
A few weeks ago I ran into this problem but thought it was just doing an update but now I believe this is a REAL ISSUE and havent seen any other posts on this (maybe I am just not searching correctly).

The model I have came with the 500 gig ssd and 750 hd.
During boot up from a shut down, the laptop FAILS to reboot.. I get the harddrive light and Wifi light flashing back and forth. I am suspecting something has gone bad with the SSD. It DOES reboot ONCE in a blue moon and I had it running for a few days and I came home yesterday, my FIRST day I have had time to sit down and talk to Tech support and as I sat down at the laptop it flashed up a notice that it was about to reboot in 5 seconds for an update and then well.. You get the idea.. It hasnt restarted since.. I completely turn it off and tried to reboot, nothing, took out battery, powered down for a day, same thing.. I have some tech experience so I have some ideas on what to do, but this has me stumped..

Is this an issue with these models? Or just something with mine?

Kaz
42 REPLIES 42

Ace0751
Level 7
Which drive has the OS? Try taking the drive without the OS on it and boot it. If the OS is on the HDD then it might've went but if the OS is on the SSD that would be very unusual to have a boot failure.
Intel I7 950, MSI Radeon 290x, Corsair Dominator GT 12GB 2000mhz, 256GB Samsung pro, 2TB WD Black, Danger Den Custom Case, Liquid Cooled

hmscott
Level 12
KazariK wrote:
Hey all..

So I have an issue with my new G750JZ laptop..
A few weeks ago I ran into this problem but thought it was just doing an update but now I believe this is a REAL ISSUE and havent seen any other posts on this (maybe I am just not searching correctly).

The model I have came with the 500 gig ssd and 750 hd.
During boot up from a shut down, the laptop FAILS to reboot.. I get the harddrive light and Wifi light flashing back and forth. I am suspecting something has gone bad with the SSD. It DOES reboot ONCE in a blue moon and I had it running for a few days and I came home yesterday, my FIRST day I have had time to sit down and talk to Tech support and as I sat down at the laptop it flashed up a notice that it was about to reboot in 5 seconds for an update and then well.. You get the idea.. It hasnt restarted since.. I completely turn it off and tried to reboot, nothing, took out battery, powered down for a day, same thing.. I have some tech experience so I have some ideas on what to do, but this has me stumped..

Is this an issue with these models? Or just something with mine?

Kaz

Kaz, yes, my JH did it when new too. It is called the 2 step boot. Power on, it powers off - push the power button again, it boots up fine.

After a few weeks, gradually doing that less and less, it completely stopped and it hasn't happened since. Annoying yes, but it seems to cure itself. 🙂

KazariK
Level 7
hey guys,

Ok, couple of quick notes.. 1 - The laptop is a G750JH-DB72-CA not the JZ that I mentioned earlier. Sorry about that..

@ACE0751 - The SSD has the OS.

@hmscott - Its not an issue of 2 steps.. It just doesnt boot.. I have tried rebooting multiple times and nothing.
Last night, I tried 20 boots straight, nothing.
Here is a video of what happens when it starts (or technically DOESNT start).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTllMme208w

And for me, its gotten worse, now it wont boot at all.. I am pretty sure I just need to send it back.. Its funny, I dont want to be with out my laptop, I have SOOOO much to do! lol but right now its absolutely non-functional so its not much difference lol..

Maybe one of the tech reps from Asus will see the video and have a better idea of the issue??

Kaz

KazariK wrote:
hey guys,

Ok, couple of quick notes.. 1 - The laptop is a G750JH-DB72-CA not the JZ that I mentioned earlier. Sorry about that..

@ACE0751 - The SSD has the OS.

@hmscott - Its not an issue of 2 steps.. It just doesnt boot.. I have tried rebooting multiple times and nothing.
Last night, I tried 20 boots straight, nothing.
Here is a video of what happens when it starts (or technically DOESNT start).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTllMme208w

And for me, its gotten worse, now it wont boot at all.. I am pretty sure I just need to send it back.. Its funny, I dont want to be with out my laptop, I have SOOOO much to do! lol but right now its absolutely non-functional so its not much difference lol..

Maybe one of the tech reps from Asus will see the video and have a better idea of the issue??

Kaz

Kaz, it is a boot failure, but I can't tell if it is a hardware issue, or just a software boot problem.

There is a Bluetooth driver issue that causes a slow boot/shutdown, and that is fixed by updating to the latest Windows 8.1 BT driver for your hardware, which can be downloaded from the G750JM JS or JZ download areas - the old JW/JX/JH download areas haven't been updated to the same recent updtes.

The BT driver boot issue is frustrating because it takes 5-10 minutes to actually complete the boot / shutdown. Be patient, and just let it sit there till it finally goes into Windows, then download the update to fix it.

The interim fix, until there was an updated BT driver, was to disable BT or put it in Airport mode, you can try that too to get it to boot quicker until you get the updated driver installed.

If that isn't it, I would try a last ditch recovery restore, either from the Asus Backtracker flash drive you made, or from the F9 recovery refresh/restore.

You can boot on the Asus Backtracker USB Flash drive by powering up and tapping the ESC key till you get this dialog, and select your USB recovery drive from the list to boot from it, mine is the Sony in this boot option list:

I already absorbed the recovery partition into my C: drive, so I can't show you the F9 recovery / restore dialog. Power up and hold the Fn key and keep tapping the F9 key till you get the restore dialog.

You can try a Refresh first, or do a complete Reset your PC.

Let us know how that works out 🙂

Hello everyone,

I had the same issue with my G750jh-db71 (where the computer would only boot up only once in a while, with the same flashing lights as shown in the Youtube video linked by Kaz). This morning, the computer completely failed to boot after many attempts. I am happy to say that I found a solution that actually works without requiring booting into windows. It turned out after manually flashing the BIOS using a built in failsafe, the computer always boots correctly now. I would like to credit the author of the thread below:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38669-G750JW-Blank-Screen-after-BIOS-changes-SOLVED

What I did to solve the problem:
- Format a flash drive (I used a 4 GB) to FAT
- Place the latest appropriate BIOS from Asus's support site onto the flash drive (Make sure to differentiate between G750JH and G750JHA). In my case, I needed the G750JHA bios.
- Rename the file appropriately (e.g. G750JH.bin, G750JHA.bin)
- Place the flash drive into the defunct computer
- Hold down CTRL+HOME, and then press the power button while continuing to hold down the keys
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Reboot, and wait ~20 seconds, and it works

Hopefully anyone else with this problem can try this before they send off their computers.

goomba2352 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I had the same issue with my G750jh-db71 (where the computer would only boot up only once in a while, with the same flashing lights as shown in the Youtube video linked by Kaz). This morning, the computer completely failed to boot after many attempts. I am happy to say that I found a solution that actually works without requiring booting into windows. It turned out after manually flashing the BIOS using a built in failsafe, the computer always boots correctly now. I would like to credit the author of the thread below:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38669-G750JW-Blank-Screen-after-BIOS-changes-SOLVED

What I did to solve the problem:
- Format a flash drive (I used a 4 GB) to FAT
- Place the latest appropriate BIOS from Asus's support site onto the flash drive (Make sure to differentiate between G750JH and G750JHA). In my case, I needed the G750JHA bios.
- Rename the file appropriately (e.g. G750JH.bin, G750JHA.bin)
- Place the flash drive into the defunct computer
- Hold down CTRL+HOME, and then press the power button while continuing to hold down the keys
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Reboot, and wait ~20 seconds, and it works

Hopefully anyone else with this problem can try this before they send off their computers.

goomba2352, that's great, thanks for the detailed steps 🙂

KazariK hasn't logged in since his last Post, but you might PM him with your steps just in case he has "Receive Email Notification of new Private Messages" enabled.

Goomba

How do I figure out which one I need..
Is this something I can see by opening the bottom panel?
The website says look at the motherboard or the screen (cant look at screen, it doesnt boot lol)..
Just trying to figure out how I determine which bios I need.

goomba2352 wrote:

hmscott - I havent had a lot of chance to log in, my laptop is/was my only real source of computer at home.. I do have an ipad now so Im able to do some stuff.. But thankfully for work I was able to get in and see this today..
I havent really taken a look at what you posted, but will do so tonight.. HOPING to try this bios thing tonight!!! if that worked Id be SOOOOO HAPPY!

KazariK wrote:
Goomba
How do I figure out which one I need..
Is this something I can see by opening the bottom panel?
The website says look at the motherboard or the screen (cant look at screen, it doesnt boot lol)..
Just trying to figure out how I determine which bios I need.

KazariK, if you have a RAID0, you have the JHA, but either way, it won't load a wrong BIOS, so try first with the JHA and if that doesn't take, try the JH.

Yea I dont believe I have RAID0.. When I got the laptop the SSD was divided into 2 equal portions, but I went through and joined them together. Personally dont know why they would do that, but they did.. Not a huge issue..

Based on this and the email from goomba I will try the JH bios and see how that works.. Hope I can find a USB floating around here to play with lol.

hmscott wrote:
KazariK, if you have a RAID0, you have the JHA, but either way, it won't load a wrong BIOS, so try first with the JHA and if that doesn't take, try the JH.