cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Slots Issue?

KeydanSaal
Level 7
First time builder here, so I'm sorry if my question is obvious or if my terminology is off.

I just recently acquired my ASUS Maximus VI Hero mobo and the guide recommends that I put both of my RAM chips in the same-colored slots (red or black). However, everytime I do that I get the 55 q_code error indicating that it's not recognizing any of my RAM. I'm able to use the 1st red slot and the 1st black slot together, but my PC won't boot if I use the 2nd slot of either color.

Do I need to somehow open up the last 2 slots in order to use them or could this indicate that something is faulty with the mobo?

I've also gotten a couple BSOD's, but didn't have a pen and paper handy when I got them so I wasn't able to write the code down so I don't know if they're related or not, but I'll update this issue as soon as I know for sure one way or another.
8 REPLIES 8

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, KeydanSaal.

Please list your complete system specifications for me. Try to make it as detailed as possible.

KeydanSaal
Level 7
Case: CM STORM TROOPER
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 RipjawsX Series for Sandy Bridge (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB)
Display adapter type AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (HD 7850 Direct CU II by ASUS)
Total available graphics memory 5856 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 2048 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3808 MB
Display adapter driver version 14.100.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10
Network Adapter Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V

Disk Drives: WDC WD5000AZLX-00k4k SCSI Disk Device
DVD Drive: HP DVD Writer 1265d ATA Device

Do you need anything else?

KeydanSaal
Level 7
Stock heatsink.

Chino
Level 15

KeydanSaal
Level 7
No bent or missing pins.

Is this troubleshooting the RAM slots or the BSOD's?

Chino
Level 15
We'll start with the slots then make our way to the BSODs. Please do the following.

1. Download the latest BIOS for your motherboard.
2. Put it on an USB pendrive and make it's FAT32 formatted.
3. Boot up your system with just that single memory stick in your first red slot.
4. Once in your BIOS, update your BIOS through the EZ Flash utility.
5. Once you're done, press F5 to load the optimized defaults.
6. Save and shutdown your computer.
7. Remove your memory stick from your first red slot and put it in your second red slot.
8. Power up yorur system.

Do you see any QCODEs on the DEBUG LED? And look beside the 24 pin power connectors and locate the 4 QLEDs. Do any of them remain lit? Report back your findings.

twisted1
Level 12
Like Chino said, 55 is usually a pin or bad contact between a pin and a contact pad on the cpu.

Did you try the mem ok button?