Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flight Sim Rig

RickSinGA
Level 11
Budget:$1,200 USD
Main uses of intended build: FSX, P3D, iRacing
Parts required: MB, Processor, Ram
Previous build information (list details of parts): i7-2600k, Asus P8Z77-v Deluxe, 16GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 CMX8GX3M2A2000C9, EVGA GTX-780Ti-sc, 4x512GB SSD's, 1x1TB internal Sata drive, 2xUSB3.0 ext 3TB drives, 3xGateway 1680x1050 (5040x1050) LCD monitors, CoolerMaster HAF932 case, CoolMax CUG-950B PS, Triple H60 Water cooler system.
Monitor resolution:
Storage requirements:
Will you be overclocking: yes
Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
Extra information about desired system:

I want to build a system primarily for Flight Simming. Since upgrading from a Asus P8P67 Deluxe I cannot run FSX above 3.8GHz without crashing although I can run OCCT and Prime 95 for hours without problems. I think it must be motherboard related and my old board, which I sold, ran fine at OC's up to 4.6GHz.

If I am going to upgrade I want to be able to run at 4.8 to 5.0 without problems. I would love to be able to select the 4-way optimizations I have seen and let the system do the work! I am not wanting anything that has to be de-lidded.

I hope to be able to reuse everything with the exception of the MB, Processor and Ram; although I am open to recommendations.

Thanks
Rick S.
18 REPLIES 18

Antronman
Level 10
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 760 2GB Enthusiast Edition Video Card ($212.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.25 @ Mwave)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($25.31 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) ($105.50 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1258.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-09 14:12 EDT-0400)
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

kkn
Level 14
well to be having a OC at 4.8 - 5.0 it all comes down to the processor and how friendly it is to OC, the majority of the CPU's is hard to get past 4.4 and 4.6 normaly.
its a lotto so to say if you get a good or baad CPU.
and to get that high clock over time you need good cooling and i think air will not do it., but you may go on to custom cooling like custom water cooling to get the temps down.
and THAT will be a expensive route.
i would say you dont have to go past 4.4-4.6 ghz to get good game play.
and the TIM on the current CPU range is crappy to be honest.

the H60 is it on CPU and GPU or what?

I cannot run FSX above 3.8GHz without crashing although I can run OCCT and Prime 95 for hours without problems. I think it must be motherboard related and my old board, which I sold, ran fine at OC's up to 4.6GHz.

that can be memory that is causing it, or the OC that may need more voltage, or it may be other things.

there is a new line of MB coming out now, the Z97 range.
if you dont want to get that you can get the Z87 that got out last year.

CPU i7 4770K
memory: g-skill -> http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-19200cl9q-16gbzmd
motherboard: the maximus 6 formula -> current board out, but the maximus 7 formula is coming out this summer.
if you are interested that is, this is a bit prizy boards but are made of OC'ers generally, the formula and hero is more aimed for the gamer side and option for SLI.

kkn wrote:

motherboard: the maximus 6 formula -> current board out, but the maximus 7 formula is coming out this summer.
if you are interested that is, this is a bit prizy boards but are made of OC'ers generally, the formula and hero is more aimed for the gamer side and option for SLI.

Is this the board you are referring too?

Thanks
Rick S.

kkn wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CLysvPTQn74CFenm7AodHEIAQg&Item=N82E16813132125&nm_...

Is this the board you are referring too?

Thanks
Rick S.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You want a top end processor for FSX most of the framerate comes from that...GPU only 25% http://www.jetlinesystems.com/performance.php

I would wait a short while and get a top end devil's canyon and Z97 board should be more OC friendly than current CPUs

Opp's, sorry. I do have a custom Water Cooler System. XSPC Raystorm D5 EX280 with an additional Aplhacool NexXxoS UT60 420 Triple 140mm Radiator. I don't know where that H60 came from?

Is the 4770 the one that needs de-lidding? Do not want to deal with that!

You could be right about the memory on my current setup but I hate to spend the money to find out that wasn't it as it worked fine on my old board. I have tried hundreds of different settings based on the Z77 ROG guide. I think I will be happier with a ROG board going forward.

The new Z97 board sounds good and I wonder should I wait for the new Haswell as well or is something better in the works?

You are right about FSX needing more CPU than GPU. There is a big difference in 4.6 GHz to 4.8 and from what I hear 5.0 is way better. There are many visual options that cannot be run at their maximum until you get to around 4.8GHz.

Thanks
Rick S.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well the idea is that the top end Haswell refresh will have soldered IHS. The mainstream chips lately have had some cra**y thermal solution under the IHS prompting people to delid etc. but even then I don't know if many get 5.0...

If you don't want to wait and since these sims are so CPU dependant and don't run SLI and you already have a great single GPU...I wonder if it might be worth you getting a RIVE and 3820K or RIVBE and 4820K I know many managed good clocks on the 3820K or even get a six core chip 3930K? 4.8+ was easy on these chips and on IB-E you get same performance from 300MHz less so 4.5GHz....

Okay Arne, now you did it!

What is the Rive and the 4820? I guess I have been under a rock!

Thanks
Rick S.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
That's the Maximus VII Hero...above that will be Maximus VII Formula and above that the top OCing board maximus VII Extreme...but these last two have not been formally presented yet