cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog G750JZ Fan issue

Xectich
Level 7
Alright, So i recently bought a new Asus Rog G750JZ like a day ago with windows 8.1 on it ofcourse. The first boot and the first day of usage went flawless. The second day i go on and turn on my brand new machine and it`s normal, entil 10-15 minutes of usage and the fan started going really loud [ i could bearly hear it before that] and that was all from browsing the web and not doing anything. So i thought it would stop eventually, but it kept going till it stopped and started periodicly going from loud to quiete. So i went on the forums to search for a solution. I tryed tweaking the power plan, frankly that didn`t do quite alot... I tryed monitoring the temperatures and it was all good and dandy, nothing unusual. Tryed a factory reset on windows 8, that didn`t do all too much. Tryed using Intel Extreme Tunning Utility, but that didn`t help as well. As I`ve said before, the laptop is bearly used, mostly to research the problem and music along with it. So if anyone can offer me a solution, It`ll be gladly apretiated!

P.S Forgot to mention: The noise is mainly from the left fan, asuming it`s the CPU one.
32 REPLIES 32

hmscott
Level 12
Xectich wrote:
Alright, So i recently bought a new Asus Rog G750JZ like a day ago with windows 8.1 on it ofcourse. The first boot and the first day of usage went flawless. The second day i go on and turn on my brand new machine and it`s normal, entil 10-15 minutes of usage and the fan started going really loud [ i could bearly hear it before that] and that was all from browsing the web and not doing anything. So i thought it would stop eventually, but it kept going till it stopped and started periodicly going from loud to quiete. So i went on the forums to search for a solution. I tryed tweaking the power plan, frankly that didn`t do quite alot... I tryed monitoring the temperatures and it was all good and dandy, nothing unusual. Tryed a factory reset on windows 8, that didn`t do all too much. Tryed using Intel Extreme Tunning Utility, but that didn`t help as well. As I`ve said before, the laptop is bearly used, mostly to research the problem and music along with it. So if anyone can offer me a solution, It`ll be gladly apretiated!

P.S Forgot to mention: The noise is mainly from the left fan, asuming it`s the CPU one.

Xectich, the fan/cooler, when working properly, respond to increased heat coming from the CPU - for the CPU cooler - and the JZ CPU also uses the Intel GPU onboard, so when you do something CPU intensive, and now GPU intensive that runs on the Intel GPU, the cooler will spin up the fan to move more heat out of the laptop.

If you aren't doing anything at the time the fan spins up, then a background process has started that is generating the CPU usage, creating more heat, and the fan spins up to cool things off.

Use the Windows Task Manager, Details tab, sort by CPU usage, and find out what is running in the background.

For me it was the media indexer that is part of the Asus / Cyberlink DVD - I went into the preferences and removed all the folders configured for indexing, and that stopped the frequent background running of that indexer.

Let us know what you find is the background process causing the CPU fan to spin up, others might benefit by knowing too. 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Xectich, the fan/cooler, when working properly, respond to increased heat coming from the CPU - for the CPU cooler - and the JZ CPU also uses the Intel GPU onboard, so when you do something CPU intensive, and now GPU intensive that runs on the Intel GPU, the cooler will spin up the fan to move more heat out of the laptop.

If you aren't doing anything at the time the fan spins up, then a background process has started that is generating the CPU usage, creating more heat, and the fan spins up to cool things off.

Use the Windows Task Manager, Details tab, sort by CPU usage, and find out what is running in the background.

For me it was the media indexer that is part of the Asus / Cyberlink DVD - I went into the preferences and removed all the folders configured for indexing, and that stopped the frequent background running of that indexer.

Let us know what you find is the background process causing the CPU fan to spin up, others might benefit by knowing too. 🙂

I checked the task manager and nothing unusual. It went from silent to loud, but nothing changed in the cpu % usage in the task manager and the heat of the CPU was around 40C and proccesor usage was aprox. 3-4% tops at the time i was monitoring it, so I assume it`s not from a backgroud app that is running =\ [ tested it with only chrome and task manager oppened from a fresh boot]. Anything else I might try?

Xectich wrote:
I checked the task manager and nothing unusual. It went from silent to loud, but nothing changed in the cpu % usage in the task manager and the heat of the CPU was around 40C and proccesor usage was aprox. 3-4% tops at the time i was monitoring it, so I assume it`s not from a backgroud app that is running =\ [ tested it with only chrome and task manager oppened from a fresh boot]. Anything else I might try?

This isn't a mystery causing the fan to increase and decrease, it is increasing and decreasing in speed due to temperature sensor change showing an increase in heat, that triggers the fan to increase in speed, and when the temperature goes down and the sensor shows this decrease, the fan is slowed down.

It is possible that the JZ fan map has a trigger point very close to your idle temperature, so a small increase / decrease causes it to spin up and down. The JH has this problem.

This is a known issue for the JH, like your JZ, except the JZ is also using the Intel CPU onboard GPU - which may mask the cause of this problem because the increased GPU usage may not show in the Task Manager - it may come from GPU requests from the OS or other processes that won't register as CPU usage in the Task Manager.

I don't have an Optimus G750 yet, so I can't research this, but one of the first things I would do is to set every tweak I can find to force use of the Nvidia GTX GPU instead of the Intel CPU/GPU. To reduce the GPU heat load on the CPU and CPU cooler.

It is a known problem with the G750JH that the fan curve is such that near idle the CPU fan can be triggered at the slightest increase in CPU usage - browser refresh, opening folders, etc. The solution was to reduce the voltage to the CPU which brought the heat down enough to be below that trigger point. It solved the problem for me, and I only had to set the voltage offset to -25mV for CPU/CPU cache with XTU.

Try that with the JZ, along with finding all the processes using the Intel GPU and setting them to use the Nvidia GPU, maybe you can cure the problem on the JZ, maybe not.

This might reveal Intel GPU usage, but I can't test it, please give it a try and let us know if it is useful:

Using Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzer (GPA) to analyze Intel® Media Software Development Kit-enabled applications
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-graphics-performance-analyzer-gpa-to-analyze-i...

Download pdf
https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/m/d/4/1/d/8/intelmsdk_gpa.pdf

Download monitoring, analyzing, server, app
https://software.intel.com/en-us/vcsource/tools/intel-gpa

Installing creates a systray icon that allows you to start analyzers that connect to the server monitoring the GPU/CPU. I don't get the GPU options on my JH, only the CPU options:

What do you see on your Intel GPU enabled system?

Xectich
Level 7
I have already tryed the tweak with XTU with -25mv, -50mv and -100mv, but nither seemed to solve the issue. I`ve set everything to run with the Nvidia GPU, but that didn`t solve anything as well. With the Intel GPA analyzer i don`t get the GPU options. Still trying to figure if there is a background proccess that is causing it, but can`t find anything unusual. Starting to feel desperate now, is there anything else i might try 😞 ?

Xectich wrote:
I have already tryed the tweak with XTU with -25mv, -50mv and -100mv, but nither seemed to solve the issue. I`ve set everything to run with the Nvidia GPU, but that didn`t solve anything as well. With the Intel GPA analyzer i don`t get the GPU options. Still trying to figure if there is a background proccess that is causing it, but can`t find anything unusual. Starting to feel desperate now, is there anything else i might try 😞 ?

Xectich, all you can do is to reduce the load on the CPU through every option available, and to leave up a process tracker to watch for intrusive processes running in the background causing random load on the CPU which triggers the fan.

I was hoping to give you a tool to look at Intel GPU usage, which the Task Manager doesn't do, perhaps you can keep looking for something that provides a monitoring view into the Intel GPU usage, if you find something post it here.

Have you looked at the system monitoring logs for anything interesting around the times you are idle and the fan randomly kicks in?

If you can run at -100mV reliably, keep it there, I wish mine would. My JW would run stably at -125mV, give that a try too 🙂

Also, in Intel XTU, there should be additional tools, settings, monitoring for Intel GPU activity, what do you see? There may be settings to lower GPU load, or even disable it? If you find stuff, please use snipping tool to post what you are seeing.

Xectich
Level 7
Alright as I kept playing with settings and such I noticed that the fan was constantly going on, even in idle mod when i`m doing absolutely nothing. So i switched back through all of the settings i previously tried and there wasn`t any change at all. The temps are normal, the usage is normal, nothing unusual. I`ve added the XTU settings and the tasks running at the time the fan goes on in the attachments. Hope that helps to figure it out =\ It`s curently still going loud.

Xectich wrote:
Alright as I kept playing with settings and such I noticed that the fan was constantly going on, even in idle mod when i`m doing absolutely nothing. So i switched back through all of the settings i previously tried and there wasn`t any change at all. The temps are normal, the usage is normal, nothing unusual. I`ve added the XTU settings and the tasks running at the time the fan goes on in the attachments. Hope that helps to figure it out =\ It`s curently still going loud.

Xectich, you aren't looking at the Processes in a useful way... you need to click on the tab above the CPU column to sort by CPU usage - your list is sorted by name - the default.

You want to sort by CPU usage, so that the high CPU usage processes are on top. You use the scroll bar to the right and move the list to the top - so you can watch the top usage process come into the #1 CPU usage process.

You can also slow down the refresh of the list with the menu View => Update Speed => Low so you can see the high usage process and read it before it drops down again after it's cpu usage drops.

The way you have the process list sorted, and scrolled, you can't see anything useful 🙂

The good news is the XTU cpu graph is catching the process kicking in every so often. Those blue humps of CPU usage occurring at regular intervals is what is kicking up the CPU usage and making the fan run, then cpu usage drops down again, and the fan slows down again.

You just need to find the process by using Task Manager effectively to see what it is 🙂

Xectich
Level 7
These are the proccesses that were running and causing CPU usage at the time the fan kick started and I have no idea what is causing it to speed up 😞 :

Xectich wrote:
These are the proccesses that were running and causing CPU usage at the time the fan kick started and I have no idea what is causing it to speed up 😞 :

Chrome allocates a new process for every tab, and it looks like 4 tabs were active during that snapshot of the task manager. The CPU usage of those 4 tabs is 12% of all 8 cores, and that means they were taking 1 entire CPU core, which is 100% of 1 CPU core, that's a lot of CPU. 8 cores x 12.5% = 100%

For me, I use firefox, with a number of extensions and tuning to stop reloading tabs, or other background stealers of CPU, like ad's constantly reloading / flipping / etc. chrome has such extensions and tuning too.

You will need to figure out what is running on those tabs that is causing the CPU usage.

At this point, to stop the fan, quit Chrome 🙂

Now you know what is causing the problem, you only need to learn how to control and fix it.

Here are my minimal Firefox extensions to keep things from taking CPU, my private data, and wasting my time forcing ads in my face.