cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which of these G74SX is better?

Retired
Not applicable
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on the ROG forum. I have been doing some research on which G74SX to buy. my budget for a laptop is $15k. Plus maybe ~$250 extras like RAM, HDD, backpack(a must!).

My main problem is that I don't live in the states, so the decision to buy the right model is very crucial to me. So far I have seen on two sites three different models, and frankly I don't know which to pick up, I can't afford to ship back a laptop in case it's not the right type.

Can anyone provide me will enough information to know which is the best of these three? and if possible please tell me also which backpack will fit this thing?

The first G74SX I have found is on newegg. here is the link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230100
model: ASUS G74 Series G74SX-XN1
the price is: $1,299.99
2630QM CPU and no blueray drive from what I see in the descriptions

The second and third model G74SX were found on Tigerdirect here are the links:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=637440&CatId=4938

model: ASUS G74 Series G74SX-XT1
the price is: $1,499.99
2630QM CPU with blueray drive/super multi burner

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1219120&CatId=2511
model: ASUS G74SX-TH71
2670QM CPU with blueray drive (not a burner?)

All three has 3Gb GTX560M a 500Gb HDD and 12Gigs of RAM

but I don't know if:
- the ribbon cable for the second HDD is included
- Why is the 2670QM lower priced? could it be that it's really got no burner?
- Newegg is the cheapest but what is the difference between XN1 & XT1??
- which model backpack will fit
- maximum HDD capacity (per bay) supported. I prefer capacity over speed because my work load demands heaps full of storage.

My main reason for wanting this computer is not primarily for gaming but for CG ART, I am buying it as a desktop replacement (aging core 2 Quad Q6700). I'm constantly on the move with my work and I can't bear lugging a desktop PC with me always. I've been saving my money for ages to get this laptop and I want to make sure I get the right one. I don't have enough for the 3DE or A1 models. Thanks in advance
24 REPLIES 24

Yahooligan
Level 7
For a CPU comparison, check this out. http://ark.intel.com/compare/52219,53469

The 2630QM actually supports up to 16GB, so the biggest difference I can see is simply the clock speed.

- The cable for the 2nd HDD is included, it's in the box.
- The 2670QM is cheaper because they're offering $50 off, otherwise it would be more.
- The difference between the XT1 and XN1 is the BluRay drive. It's not a BluRay burner. It's a BluRay/DVD/CD player and DVD/CD burner only.
- Backpacks are discussed in other threads here, search and you will find. 🙂 I have a SwissGear that barely fits my G74
- The max capacity per bay is whatever the largest 2.5" drive out there is, currently it's 1TB.
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:

Retired
Not applicable
Woot! thanks very much for the prompt reply 🙂

so if one bay handles 1Tb then I can knock 2 1Tb's in there without worrying about incompatibilities?

I've been doing the math last night about the extra's like mouse and backpack, I stumbled on a link to an G74SX-A1 model that seems to be cheaper (when counting the fact that I get 1.5Tb storage, mouse and backpack in the package). it's priced at $1,589.99 from thenerds.net

I've been patient about buying this baby, I might have to hold out another two months to rack up enough greens to finally get it.

I'm open to suggestions, so if anyone has a better plan on how to get similar A1 results in price, please by all means post them here. 🙂

thanks again Yahooligan for clearing up the XT1~XN1 features for me.

Retired
Not applicable
Hello everyone, it's me again. I have decided to go with the G74SX-A1 version. Will be buying from amazon.com as most of the upgrades for the laptop are visible there: I'll be upgrading the RAM to 16gigs, and buying a 1Tb drive that I would like to put in the ODB (optical disk bay) via an adapter, I do a lot of 3D modeling and renders in my work so I need all the drive space I can lay my hands on for the output images and video edits.
So the question is what is the measure of the ODD converter that will work with the G74SX-A1? is it the 9.5mm version or the 12.7mm version or neither? also if I am to go with this ODD converter where might I find an external USB adapter that will work with my Optical drive? as I would like it working eve if I swap it out for a HDD.

honestly I can't wait to get this laptop. I've been saving for months. I don't mind the problems people states about it, all I can think of is that if anyone is to buy a laptop of this caliber they should already be prepared (mind and body) to put some real love into it, and by that I mean coping with the updates and the workarounds, not to mention the needed technical skill to remedy before complaining. In my years of owning a MAC then transitioning to PC I actually love how the PC tests you to keep it healthy, I get tremendous satisfaction from getting something into working order. 🙂

spectroplasm wrote:
Hello everyone, it's me again. I have decided to go with the G74SX-A1 version.

Good choice. 🙂

I don't mind the problems people states about it, all I can think of is that if anyone is to buy a laptop of this caliber they should already be prepared (mind and body) to put some real love into it, and by that I mean coping with the updates and the workarounds, not to mention the needed technical skill to remedy before complaining.
Are you serious?? You really think people spending that much money on a computer should EXPECT it to be a fixer-upper?? You really think they should EXPECT to be diagnosing complex hardware and software issues? They should EXPECT to have to take apart their brand new computer and do repairs in the first few weeks? EXPECT to probably scuttle their warranty in the process? Wow.

I think most people would consider "a laptop of this caliber" (i.e., in this price range) a high-end or even TOTL model. In fact, that's exactly the way Asus markets it...as their ROG flagship.

I honestly don't know anybody who would equate "high-end" with "fixer-upper" or think buying "high-end" presumes the technical expertise to do one's own repairs. (That's a little like expecting a Lexus or Mercedes buyer to know how to rebuild the transmission. ;))

Retired
Not applicable
lol, I didn't mean the fixer upper, what I meant was that these types of laptops aren't the fire and forget type. If you're in the extreme gaming thing or in a serious market where you are constantly wanting more our of a product, you'd more than be prepared to get your hands dirty. I for one sure aint going to use it as is out of the box, it's what makes each user's PC unique, by the way you treat it and customize it.

I'll make an example of cars since you made the Lexus Mercedes example. I think MAC computer's are like luxury sports cars, were you pay the bill and drive the unit as is, expecting it to perform as it is stated. whereas ROG and PC are more like race bred track racers, where everything is custom tailored by the "driver" (user), on a race track you can *hit happens like a piston breakdown or a misfire, but since you're in the league already you should be prepared for these type of things, when it goes well nothing can stop it, and you want more power, when it doesn't you troubleshoot. 🙂 that's what I meant

Maintaining and tweaking are one thing, that's fine. But the darn thing should work as advertised out of the box. There should be no reason to search for wifi drivers or touchpad drivers, especially outside the notebook manufacturer's support page, for MONTHS. At most, maybe a new graphics driver or sound card driver to keep up with a game that was released after the notebook was manufactured.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Does anyone know offhand if particular configurations use Sentelic touchpads and others use Synaptics? Or whether it's all just a mix'n'match with whatever the assembler happens to grab off the shelf, like it is with HDDs and memory modules?

well, I do know that some G74's have the synaptic and some the sentelic.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Apparently, as Chastity has mentioned that. But I'm just wondering if they are used interchangeably during assembly. I can't imagine why they would spec one over the other for certain configurations, so I'm curious if there's any rhyme or reason to how owners end up with either one.

Asus seems to use different parts all the time.....except for those damn Atheros cards! Of all the manufacurers to be loyal to......:rolleyes: