cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please can we have a 100% definitive answer to the 8Pin / 4 Pin CPU header question

cdcbr3
Level 7
I have been reading numerous forums and there seems to be a lot of confusion on when to use 4 pin, 4+4 (8pin) or 8+4

I am planning on over clocking at about 4.5GHz on a Maximus VI Extreme with a 4770K.
I had been having a lot of BSOD just running at 4GHz recently and suspect my 8 year old PSU has finally decided to give up.
So, with that I bought a new Haswell Certified, Corsair HX850 and am in the process or running the cables in the case.
The old PSU had a single 4+4 for the CPU header, but the new one has 4+4 and a second Modular connection for another 4+4.

As I plan to run normally around 4GHz daily, am I correct in assuming the 8Pin is enough to supply the CPU?
If I want to try running 4.5GHz, should I add the extra 4 pin supply?

Can it cause issues if both are used together?
Is it recommended?

If like the CPU fan header, these are wired parallel, then it should help spread the load right?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide
14 REPLIES 14

Chino
Level 15
Normally using only the 8 pin power cable is sufficient. But if you have the extra 4 pin power cable, it is recommended that you connect that as well.

meankeys
Level 13
I always run with both 4 and the 8 pin power connector if provided. It will not hurt anything and buy using both you will never over heat the 4 pin connector

Well,
I connected the 4Pin and 8Pin from my Corsair hx850 and the system would not Post.
The Board lit up but was totally unresponsive. I removed the 4pin and all was well again.

Retired
Not applicable
install the 4 pin in the right direction..

you dont need the 4 pin on that board, for normal use

If you plan to use LN2 you can connect the 4 pin..

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, make sure you are installing correctly. 8pin must be connected and will run stock and OC. But for smoother power delivery plug in 4pin (correct half of 4+4) too for higher OCs and stable power...

🙂

I plugged it in the correct way round (yes i checked before i pushed it in.
Still wouldn't power up with 8+4
went back to 8 only

Retired
Not applicable
cdcbr3 wrote:
I plugged it in the correct way round (yes i checked before i pushed it in.
Still wouldn't power up with 8+4
went back to 8 only

see Arnes post.. and listen please when we tell you..

You must plug it in correctly.. they fits in more ways than only 1/ its a split 8 pin EPS connector

you dont need the 4 pin.. thats the 100% answer

ewind
Level 10
if I'm not mistaking you only need the 4pin if you're running a high over clock (5GHz) or muilt GPU's (3 or 4) and stander OC 4GHz to 4.5Ghz an 8 pin should be all you need.
Corsair 200R
Intel i5 4670k
Corsair H75
Maximus Hero
8GB G.Skill RipJaws (1600Mhz)
EVGA GTX 760 SC
Seagate 240GB SSD
WD 750GB Storage Drive
EVGA NEX 750 Gold PSU
Windows 7 64bit

I've always had the 8 Pin and 4 Pin connected, also went as far as connecting both the EZPlug 1 and EZPlug 2 to the PSU.
I7 4770K @ 4.6GHz, Custom Water Loop
Asus Maximus VI Extreme-Z87, BIOS 1603
EVGA GTX 780ti SLI x3, Vulkan 356.43 Skyn3t VBIOS
Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1866MHz, 16GB
Samsung 850 250GB SSD (OS)
Samsung 840 120GB SSD
Corsair GT 120 SSD
Corsair Performance Pro 128 SSD
OCZ Vertex4 120 SSD
PSU EVGA SuperNova 1300W
ASUS Swift PG278Q 144Hz G-Sync
Oculus Rift DK2 + Leap Motion