cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JM poor build quality

Games_Bond
Level 7
Hello all,

I just signed up to express my utter disappointment with recent Asus G750JM series of laptops. I went through three of them in under a month and I can now safely confirm I'm extremely unsatisfied with their poor build quality and lack of quality control on Asus' part. I have encountered a number of various obvious or hidden flaws that keep popping up once you scratch under the surface of this otherwise properly specced machine and every unit I regrettably owned had at least one serious or more of the less serious cosmetic and/or usability defects.

The first one came with pre-scratched screen out of the box. It also produced various creaky sounds coming from the hinges, but I haven't bothered to investigate further 'cause I was already fed up with the scratches. And, by the way, speaking of hinges - on all three units right hinge plastic cover wasn't snugly fit to the underlying hinge - check yours up if you want, I'm not sure if it means something in the long run... Anyway, I took this laptop to the store and was granted a new one later on.

This second one was better built, creaks-wise and so... BUT... Just when I was about to keep it, I realized the DVD drive was faulty, poorly calibrated or something, and you can clearly hear friction-like noise emanating out of the drive because of the DVD disc rubbing against something inside when spinning. I recorded the noise, sent to local Asus representative and was once again granted another unit.

Finally, the last one, which I still have in my possession, is a sort of a compilation of the worst of previous units plus more. Unfortunately, I'm out of my seven days return period (Asus' policy here in Croatia) and I'm stuck with this, no help or anything.

Here we go:

Battery already has 6-7% wear level, but I consider this to be acceptable although it was completely charged maybe three times altogether (it started up at 3% wear level out of the box and then gradually but inconsistently rose up - hopefully it won't rise any more).

The top of the laptop (display and its casing) doesn't sit exactly the way it's supposed to on the keyboard - it is skewed a tiny few milimeters to the left, just enough to be visible and detectable to the touch. Furthermore, hinges on this unit, although still functional, are the weakest of the three tested units and this particular unit generally feels somewhat fragile and cheap - unacceptable for the laptop of this calibre, if you ask me.

Further on, left touchpad button somehow manages to slightly rub against the touchpad itself when being pressed. Well, congratulations, Asus! You nailed it! Literally.

HDD and memory door/cover on the back of the laptop isn't sitting flush with the rest of the housing. Why is that, you ask? Because it has, again - out-of-the-darn-box - one of its plastic clips/hooks broken. That's why the one and only screw holding it is basically screwed up - it was fixed so tightly (probably in order to compensate for the broken clip) that it took me north of ten minutes to loosen it up!

Well, I then finally started installing my new SSD drive... And... Another unwelcome surprise: while handling and rotating the laptop, one of the three screws holding the drive bay just fell off, immediately. Wait, what?! The fact is - it wasn't even slightly turned and fixed at all because the corresponding screw slot is too wide, missing some part or something! Moreover, this screw fell into some hole in the housing and I guess I won't be seeing it very soon... However, in the end I managed to tighten the SSD drive up using the remaining two screws and I hope it'll stay in its place, which, of course, can't be said for the aforementioned screw roaming freely inside...

And there you have it.

I just can't believe they consciously "overlooked" all this and sent such unit (or complete batch, if you want) to the market. Honestly, I almost find it to be deliberately fraudulent behaviour, what else? Can you really put the back cover on and not see it is already damaged? The packaging was intact, so... They did it in the factory, but didn't care.

Luckily, I am yet to discover overheating features of this JM model and possible dead pixels that some of users reported in this forum, but that being said, I'd still take the risk and gladly exchange this laptop as-is for the new one, that is - if I only could. Too bad nobody would really listen to me - authorized service centre can only replace housing and disassemble pretty much everything and I don't find the idea of messing up that hard with the new machine particularly attractive. Local Asus representative, on the other hand, understands my problems and apologises and cares and all... And that's it, they likely won't do anything. But, hey, guess what - they offered me a mouse and a t-shirt! Well, thank you, but after all this I don't feel like walking with the ironic "In search of incredible" on my chest. Maybe I could tie the back cover up with it, though.

I've owned a Transformer netbook in the past and at the moment still have and use MemoPad and Nexus 7 tablets, all Asus' electronics. They are all good products, but because of this awful G750 experience, I promise they'll be the last products of this brand to cross my door. I feel Asus cheated me with this expensive piece of sh... equipment, but I've learned my lesson and won't come close to Asus no more.

Thank you, Asus, and good luck.

Others are welcome to chime in if they have similar experiences (and I hope they don't).
12 REPLIES 12

sasuke256
Level 7
Bestbuy ?
Laptop : ASUS G750JW : i7 4700HQ - 16Gb - 2Tb HDD - GTX 765M OC (+135/500) - Full HD Matte - Win 8.1
Retiered : Toshiba L670 i5 560M/8Gb Corsair/1TB/HD5650 1Gb @ 625/800 /WD 1Tb USB3/Win7

sasuke256 wrote:
Bestbuy ?

No, local computer shop here in Croatia...

sasuke256 wrote:
Bestbuy ?

Are you saying this makes a difference?

I have bought 6 ASUS ROG's from Best Buy 2 x G73, 2 x G75, and 2 G750 laptop's (for me and my son) and every one has been rock solid, both build quality and stability/performance. In fact all are still working perfectly.

As for the OP, sorry to hear about your issues. There will always be a few duds, and a select unlucky few will have extreme problems (with anything). It seems that you are one of the select unlucky few...

rdiscipio1 wrote:

I have bought 6 ASUS ROG's from Best Buy 2 x G73, 2 x G75, and 2 G750 laptop's (for me and my son) and every one has been rock solid, both build quality and stability/performance. In fact all are still working perfectly.

As for the OP, sorry to hear about your issues. There will always be a few duds, and a select unlucky few will have extreme problems (with anything). It seems that you are one of the select unlucky few...

Calm down 😉
Another topic talks about a person who got like 5 G750 (2014 AND 2013) models all with a kind of problem, I was expecting to find another vitim..
People do ask questions sometimes you know 😄
Laptop : ASUS G750JW : i7 4700HQ - 16Gb - 2Tb HDD - GTX 765M OC (+135/500) - Full HD Matte - Win 8.1
Retiered : Toshiba L670 i5 560M/8Gb Corsair/1TB/HD5650 1Gb @ 625/800 /WD 1Tb USB3/Win7

rdiscipio1 wrote:

Bestbuy is known to sell Bestbuy specific models which a lot of the time are lower in specs from normal ROG laptops. This only applies to those that have different model numbers from their retail counterparts. (I believe one was model # "GXX-RBB" or something along those lines.)

I only know this because one of my first Asus ROG laptops was a BestBuy model, I think my G51 (or G61? I cant remember), which ended up having a different motherboard in it from the retail versions which would not accept a Core2Quad Core when the non Bestbuy retail model would. From that point, I decided to stay away from the BB Models.

Not that the BB models are bad in anyway, normally if they have a model # that differs from a standard retail version of the same laptop, then the parts inside could be different and may not support the same as the retail model.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

I've got some private messages in my inbox but, for whatever reason, I can't seem to find a way to reply. Now I can't even open my inbox no more! If you want me to reply, please send me a p.m. with your email address inside, I'll reply to that (if I manage to open my inbox, that is...).
Thanx!

Check this:

"Games Bond has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Games Bond from the recipient list and send the message again."

This is what I get when i try to send you a message, it looks like you disabled it.
Instead of you trying to reply to any messages, just go to my profile and send me a message directly from there.

Thanks for information, but sorry, I just can't - there's no option to send messages and I've looked everywhere, in your profile, my profile, settings... I didn't change anything in the settings and it seems like everything there is as it should be. I could read my first message, but since then, all I get when I try to open inbox is this:

" Games Bond, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. "

Something's not right here... I guess anything with "Asus" logo on it doesn't work for me, ROG forum included. 🙂
If the administrator is reading this, please check if everything's ok with my account!
If some senior Asus product manager is by any chance reading this, please do not hesitate to replace my laptop with the new one immediately as I'm really sick and tired of all these lemons you sold me.

thesting
Level 7
Mine came with screen scratched too. But it's barely visible... I'm more pissed about the bad screen quality.
And my HDD makes a loud single clicking noises every now and then.. but I guess that's still considered normal?