cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD only 98 GB IS IT NORMAL?

Eixen
Level 7
Hi i got, my g750jz in may 10, and what was my surprise when i notice the partition of my ssd has only 98 GB when it shpuld have 256 of space (2x128GB) i havent opened yet to see if i got only one or something, why it only have that space, anyone has the same problem?
4 REPLIES 4

BIOHAZARD9519
Level 7
If possible, screenshot how the drives look. I can't really get a clear picture of what you are seeing. Can't tell if you see two partitions for the SSD or you are actually missing one.

In my case, my JS has a 256 GB SSD (not mSATA like yours) partitioned into 2 drives, one is 95 GB and the other is 121 GB. The 95 GB partition carries the OS and other essentials for the computer that can't be removed. In a way, it's like saying how my previous laptop had a 750 GB hard drive, but only about 686 GB was usable.

well i feel like a noob, yeah i have the 121 gb too, thanks for the info... i tested it copying a file like yesterday and i saw a low speed of data transfer, but now i tested it again and it had like 130 mbs/second so yeah, thanks a lot 🙂

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
It sounds like yours is set up in RAID as well. Unfortunately advertised capacities are misleading.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

hmscott
Level 12
Eixen wrote:
Hi i got, my g750jz in may 10, and what was my surprise when i notice the partition of my ssd has only 98 GB when it shpuld have 256 of space (2x128GB) i havent opened yet to see if i got only one or something, why it only have that space, anyone has the same problem?

Eixen, Asus breaks up the 128x2 RAID0 256GB into several partitions, making the C drive 98GB - silly, right 🙂

What I did was to backup the Recovery Partition using Asus Backtracker onto a USB 3.0 16GB flash drive - I recommend spending the extra for a fast USB 3.0 drive because it makes the creation and recovery process so much faster.

Then you can blow away partitions, and combine the free space into the C drive.

And, you should be getting much better throughput on the RAID0, what does CrystalDiskMark show?

If you install Intel Rapid Storage Technology, you can change the cache method from the default of None to Read, Write Back, or Write through. The Help tab in the app explains the differences. I use Write Back for benchmarks, and live under Write through cache mode as it provides better data integrity.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology - current version 12.9.0.1001 - you want the SetupRST.exe
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23496

Write back cache write speed improvement

Lots to do to get a handle on the RAID0 🙂