Need tips on building quiet case with good airflow

FearBunny
Level 7
Case: corsair 550D
Mobo: M7 formula with planned 4790k
Gpu: 780 maybe 780 ti Asus dc2
After-market cooler: h100i corsair closed loop
Psu: rm850 corsair
SSD: Samsung 830 pro 256, plextor 128, and some random 240gb ssd (not worth mentioning :p)

Trying to decide on airflow and fans to use, as well placement to create a fairly well air cooled and quiet case under load and medium load. The last system I had built was a inside a corsair 600T, and I had intake from the front and side panel facing the gpu/CPU and exhaust from the top and rear. I felt it could've been a lot better, so this time around I'm seeking guidance on the matter and would appreciate any input :).

I have the case now, and have yet to open the box, but what will likely occur is removing the middle hard drive cage, and leaving only the lower cage for my ssd's. The rad will likely be on top. The rear of the case, I may cut the mesh panel to increase airflow (read somewhere that the mesh can reduce airflow with higher flow fans), but I may forgo this if I have alternative solutions.

Side Questions regarding the matter also:
I've read that when using aftermarket coolers and dealing with rads, you're better having air from outside blow in (air is usually cooler outside of the case than inside), but how much of a difference am I looking at? And should I be using high pressure or low pressure fans?

Thank you if you got any input and tips.
7 REPLIES 7

Antronman
Level 10
As far as the case goes, if you want maximum airflow altogether, then you need a Carbide Air 540. But if all you want is good rad airflow, then any case that fits it will do.

Rads tend to do best in the top of the case, fans pulling air through it (air from the outside, fans on the inside). High StP fans are always best on a radiator.

You picked a bad case for max airflow. I would've recommended exhausting from the front.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

FearBunny
Level 7
All right, that's good to know. I may end up changing cases at some point, so the Carbide Air 540 may be something that I'll look into more.

I'm wondering about air pressure inside the case vs outside. For example, to have the air coming out of the case to cause a vacuum inside that wants to suck more air in, with the understanding that stagnant air remaining in the case would cause rising temps inside the case as heat is generated? And if so, how much of a vacuum do I want to achieve?

kkn
Level 14
the m7f may be a e-atx formfactor board in size but atx standoffs so take notice on this.
the last mxf boards have been e-atx form factors.

kkn wrote:
the m7f may be a e-atx formfactor board in size but atx standoffs so take notice on this.
the last mxf boards have been e-atx form factors.

Just to clarify first that this is correct, M7F and M6F stand for maximus 6 and 7 Formula. So I'm not understanding what you mean by standoffs part regarding form factor. From what I've seen, they say it is an ATX formfactor, and when looking at the measurements compared against the VII Hero model, they're the same. Now as for the shielding found on the VI Formula this video here shows one problem I will encounter if I were to use that model of the Motherboard, part of the heat sink block for the chips around the CPU reduces room for fans that go on top of a h100i radiator. The guy ends up using thinner 120mm fans that are 15mm instead of 25mm. here's the vid link for that http://youtu.be/EDwmj4dVRag.

Sorry if I misunderstand, but I need more clarification on what you meant by that, but thanks for commenting, as I did find out about possible room issues I may enounter =).

kkn
Level 14
its generation yes and formula.
the m5f was e-atx form factor
but the m6f is atx form factor
but what the m7f will be no one knows as of now since there is nno specs or enny thing out on it.

Oh ok, Thanks for that clarification.

TenBlade
Level 11
I modified a CM Storm Stryker by putting the optical drive at the very bottom, where the utility box used to be. So drive bays are all empty, and I got three fans in the front. And all SSDs are out of the way, velcro´d to the other side of where you put the mainboard. That makes for one roomy case, with very good ventilation. Make sure you get fans where you can control speed, although each of them being quiet, all those fans do catch your ears...