cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install - Hero mobo error A2, post takes a minute to load

chad711
Level 7
I just switched over to this ASUS mobo today. Did a fresh install of windows 8.1. Bios up to date. In the last few hours my restarts are taking any where from 45 seconds to 3 minutes to get to desktop. Not sure what is up but I see A2 code during this hanging period.

Also when desktop finally loads the code A0 sits there. Guessing this is normal?

Specs:

Hero mobo
GTX 770's in SLI
OS on Samsung 840 SSD
Two more storage SSD's
1 DvD drive
Corsair H100i on CPU
Kraken X40's/G10's on both GPU's

Only thing plugged in right now is kb, mouse, headset and three monitors.
11 REPLIES 11

Kasapin5033
Level 7
The A0 code is normal, it sits all the time my PC is on. The manual indicates that the A2 code stands for "IDE Detect". It just takes it some time to detect all the SSD's you have. And if you do a hard restart it will hang anywhere from 30S to 1min, but not 3 min.

chad711
Level 7
That doesn't sound right. I have fast boot enabled and this restart should take no more then 20ish seconds tops from the time I hit restart until when I am back to the desktop. These times are not normal but from your reply you make it sound like they are. This board replaced a MSI board and my restart times never took this long and I had more stuff attached. I have not attached the other two HDD or my other USB items yet. There is something wrong here with the restart, start up times.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

There is most likely a connected device or a UEFI misconfiguration slowing the POST process. Please list all connected components, internal and external. including model numbers.

Praz wrote:
Hello

There is most likely a connected device or a UEFI misconfiguration slowing the POST process. Please list all connected components, internal and external. including model numbers.

Razer Naga 2012 model
Sennheiser PC 363D headset
Two ASUS VS278Q-P monitors (one plugged in to HDMI, one DVI)
One ASUS VG278HE plugged in DVI

One of the 60Hz monitors and the 144Hz monitor are plugged into first GTX 770
The other 60 Hz DVI is plugged into 2nd GTX 770

Corsair K70 Keyboard and the Naga are plugged into the first top USB connections in the back of mobo.

As I mentioned in my first post I have Corsair H100i on the CPU without the usb connector because the software for this cooler and windows 8.1 do not work well together. I then have two NZXT coolers on both GPU's.

The only thing I have removed since this install was a 1 TB HDD that Smart technology said it was going bad. I ran a WD test on it and it also failed so I will be returning that. I still have the Sata plugged in however because that sata cable connects to the bottom of my Corsair Air 540 case for quick connect. Would a connected Sata cable with no device connected to it matter? I would think this wouldn't even detect since it's just a cable.

Just a update too. This morning it restarted much quicker but it's still hit or miss. One time it restarted in what seemed like less then 10 seconds and then the next time it was about 35 seconds. Odd. I will keep restarting and doing cold starts to see what happens.

Sorry I didn't list SSD's. Give me a few mins...on a work call and then I will list them

Praz wrote:
Hello

To follow up on my other post here, I''ve tracked my last 10+ restart times today. I'm most likely just taking this back to Microcenter tomorrow. I've never had a issue like this w/ any motherboard. I've built 10+ computers so I know it's not some sort of issue with what I installed. All components on this mobo are the same ones I had on my other mobo and it restarted fine. Here is my restart times. Note that the times when it was quick this was the times that when I installed software or drivers it asked me to restart and I clicked the restart option with in the driver/software UI.

40s, 15s, 74s, 24s, 51s, 13s, 57s, 62s, 53s, 75s (seconds). I would like to get this resolved but I have tried everything I can think of.

I've reset the bios, loaded optimized and even loaded any settings that would increase boot times. The problem is the delay in the post time, not windows starting. Once the post shows up then I see a blinking cursor for about 3 seconds and then it drops down a few lines and blinks and then windows starts.

I've tried removing all devices beside KB/Mouse. I've tried removing each GPU and starting with just one of them in the first slot. I''ve tried removing all sata connections besides the OS.

I'll check back here tonight. If nothing works I will just return it tomorrow. I switched back to ASUS because I will never buy MSI stuff again (had to RMA every single MSI product I've bought (mobo and two gpu's) but I must say this isn't going as I thought it would. ASUS has always been good to me in the past!

desolator4u
Level 7
After Enabling Fast Boot, ensure SATA is set to Boot Device Only, and USB is set to Partial Initialisation. You can Enable Hardware Fast Boot since you have Win 8.1
Also, check the Boot Priority. Ensure they are set to UEFI and disable all except the SSD your OS is on. If that fails to work, you might wanna try Enabling Launch CSM as there may be a compatability issues with some of the devices connected to the board since it hangs during PSOT
8700K / Noctua U12S / Maximus X Hero / 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti / Seasonic Prime 650W / 4 x 1TB SSD / 970 Pro 512GB M.2 / Game Zero Headset / K95 Platinum / Logitech G502 / Win 10 x64/ ViewSonic XG2701 1080p 144Hz

chad711
Level 7
Edit: It was my Sennheiser headset that is delaying the post. Not sure why this mobo doesn't like my headset but this is the issue

Subzzz
Level 7
Hello,

I got the exact same problem, asus hero motherboard and the sennheiser pc 363 headset.

The sennheiser pc 363 has a USB souncard for virtual surround, i suspect this is the cause of the problem.
Altho as far as i know it has no problems with other motherboard from other manufactures and maybe even not with other motherboards from asus, but the Hero version is definitly affected as this thread shows i'm not the only one with the problem.

So when connected the a2 error pops up and it takes a long time to post, sometimes after a quick restart it will post like normal but usually it takes allot longer then normal.
If any mod could forward this problem to any technical staff maybe they could have a look at it and maybe a firmware update could fix the problem.

In the mean wile i wil just keep unplugging my headset for boot.