cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GTX690 + UEFI Bios update = stuck at x8 for GPU2

weimin108
Level 7

Hi Boys,

All the info is in the screenshots provided. Big mistake on running the Asus UEFI update as
it's permanently made one of my GPU's stuck at PCIE 3.0 x8.

For the CPUZ screenshot on the mainboard-tab; Link-width will say 8x depending on which
DVI port I plug it in.

Lastest Bios, chipset drivers, display drivers, all tried to no avail.

**would also like to add that I cannot see my card displayed in Bios menu "GPU Post".

Tried running lower GEN (1+2) -- playing with the PCIE toggle switches (shutting off other empty slots)... etc..

Because the card is hooked up to hoses for the GPU waterblock, I was only able to test the
video card in Slot-2 (1 slot below the main 16x_1 slot) -- which gave the same results.

I tried another air-cooled video card I have lying around and it can do 16x in slots 1 + 3.
Note that this spare card is single GPU though.

**Spoken to many techs about this as I have a case open with Asus Tech support. Tried many
different Bios settings, different display drivers.

I tried used Dos NVflash and reflashed both GPU's -- but still no success in changing GPU2 back to PCIE 3.0 x16.

All power saving options in Nvidia Graphic settings and Windows power settings have been changed -- I even
tried the Force 3rd Gen Dos executable -- but it does nothing as it's not for GTX 690.

They already set me up with a RMA number but I'm very reluctant in doing this as I need to remove my xspc
waterblock and put back on the stock heatsink/fan -- which is a hideous mess when I first removed it.

Just putting this out there to see what kind of help I can get. Asus tech support has been SUPER about all this,
really appreciate your help and time.

The result of this? about 20-30 frames lost in BF4 --- my 3Dmark score has gone down just a bit over 2,000pts.

Who would believe, all this for video games? lol...

Thanks!

Wei Min
1 REPLY 1

weimin108
Level 7
Anyone else with this problem - just call into tech support and get it RMA'd.

Got my card back in about 1.5 weeks. Even gave me time to do some huge upgrades/mods for
my watercooling. Thanks Asus.