cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7-3970X immediately throttles under stress testing

gabriel21st
Level 7
Edit: I'm back now and I've updated this post with more information!

Hello ROG,
New to the forums, just signed up early today while reading all I could about overclocking (new to it as well).

So my issue is that I'm trying to OC my i7-3970X on a Sabertooth X79, latest BIOS. After spending the whole day reading random OC threads and watching that video with JJ on Youtube, I decided to venture into the BIOS and make the changes.
Then I run Prime95 (small FFT), and on my first few tests, the stress test runs at the 46 multiplier I set for about 10-12 sec, then it's throttled down to 36-40x. Any tests run after those ones caused the CPU to immediately throttle upon starting. Using AIDA64 Extreme to measure temps/voltages, I noticed that when the throttling occurs the CPU Package wattage seemed to be capped at ~150 W, the TDP for i7-3970X.

I've reset all my settings to stock now, but here was what I was tried to run:
- Rosewill THOR V2 case (front intake, 2 120mm side intake, rear exhaust)
- Corsair H105 liquid CPU cooler (mounted on top as exhaust)
- 4x 4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 (not overclocked)
- Of course, the i7-3970X and Sabertooth X79
- Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W PSU
- GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 780 (not OC'd either)

- Idle core temp: ~36 C at stock settings (this was the temp of core 6...the others were around 30-33)
- Load core temp: ~67 C (under throttled stress test)
- Load core temp: ~51 C (under stock stress test)
- 46 multiplier
- Tried both offset/manual voltages.
Offset: +.025 V
Manual: 1.375 V (IIRC)
- Disabled some power saving stuff. C-states, EIST, anti-surge, Intel Thermal Monitoring. Balanced power under Windows settings
- CPU LLC medium, 110-130% current capability
- VCCSA LLC regular, 100-110% current capability
- RAM forced to DDR3-1600, optimized phase, no voltages/timings altered
- BCLK untouched, CPU strap auto
- CPU Clock Gen Filter enabled

Sorry again if I forgot to list anything of importance. I did watch that ASUS Youtube video on OC'ing a Sabertooth X79 for a while, so my settings were very similar to his.

I've noticed that the voltage is not what I set it to when it is throttled as well. For example, on Manual it should have been around 1.375 V, but during throttle it was around 1.23 V.
VRM temps were fine. I don't recall the exact temperature during "OC" stress testing, but it was well below concern. Somewhere in low 60s. VRM idle temp at stock is 30 C.

More information in my next post in response to Arne.
Please share whatever thoughts you can, thanks a lot!
13 REPLIES 13

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi gabriel 🙂

Can you list your computer specs so people have an idea of motherboard BIOS version for example...RAM

Do you have the VRM actively cooled? Like a fan blowing on it directly?

What ambient temperature do you have 36 idle seems a bit high already. Where are you getting VRM temp from?

Can you feel the tubes next to the pump block and see if one or both are warm?

is the cooler mounted properly with good contact...maybe check this by looking at TIM coverage....make sure it is only a thin (see through) layer when you take pump block off. Power to pump fans to pump block and connected to CPU fan header etc.

Arne, thanks for the response. I've updated my original post so it should be more informative.

VRM is not actively cooled. The radiator is pulling air out right above it though. VRM temps on stock during idle are around 30 C, on stock stress test is about 52 C.

Not sure what my ambient temperature is in my room, but I can tell you that the temps on this new build of mine are much much better than my previous build's (..I had a Radeon HD 5770 that idled at 67 C).

I was able to slide open the side door and feel the tubes. I would say one feels very very slightly warm, the other just feels "room temperature". But I suppose you might consider both warm then.
At this very point in time I'm not able to check thermal compound coverage (let's just say, my room is small). I can get to it tomorrow if you would like me to check. The pump block power is connected to CPU fan header. The fans on the radiator are connected to a chassis fan header with the Y-splitter Corsair provided.

Here are a few screenshots of AIDA64, measuring stress test at stock. This issue has also brought to my attention that under stock stress testing, the frequency is also throttled to about 37 multiplier. As you can see the wattage seems to be capped near 150 W.
Personally, I feel that temperature is not the issue, but of course I'm new to overclocking and I might just have no idea what I'm talking about. 😛

edit: I really hope this doesn't have to do anything with this issue, but every time I shut down my computer, there's a *click* that sounds from my computer right when it shuts down completely. Is that bad?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well I'm not sure but throttling is often temps and often VRM temps...I don't know if your VRM temps are accurate or what is being read....easiest thing would be to jury-rig a 120mm fan at full blast on the VRM and see if things change....often incidental airflow is not enough for OCs especially when you are going over 4.5GHz

The tubes next to pump block should not be appreciably warm..if they are close to pump block but less so near radiator there might be flow problem...but it does not sound like this from your description...

gabriel21st
Level 7
Hm, ok. I'll see if I can get to that tomorrow.

ASUS Thermal Radar also gives me similar readings for VRM (30 C idle).
The thing is, throttling is occurring even at stock while stress testing with Prime95. Immediately after starting the test. Frequency gets capped at 3.7 GHz, not even the stock 4.0 GHz boost frequency.

This is just puzzling, temperature just doesn't feel like an issue to me because I've read about people going to 70s (normal on load of course) on their CPU and 80+ on the VRM. My temps aren't even anywhere near that. And not to mention my previous build was very poorly cooled, but still lived up to its expectations. So seeing everything in 30-50 C is amazing for me, haha.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm just a thought...have you updated to latest BIOS recently? Some people have had throttling using SB-E for no reason from the later X79 BIOSes since they have been tweaked for IB-E compatibility....maybe clear CMOS and use BIOS flashback and go back to a strictly SB-E BIOS....maybe 3501 for example...?

Worth a try....

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

gabriel21st
Level 7
Interesting idea, I will get to that right now. Hopefully I'll be back soon and update you. Thanks!

gabriel21st
Level 7
Ok, I have flashed the BIOS successfully, but unfortunately the throttling still occurs. I'm running Prime95 on stock settings and it's still getting capped at 3.7 GHz. Disheartening..

Alright, I set up a 120mm fan at 100% over the VRM area:

After running Prime95 again for about 20 minutes, temps leveled out and the VRM is a couple degrees cooler than before. It also took much longer to get to 50. But the CPU multiplier is still throttled down to 37. I guess it's not VRM temps?

gabriel21st
Level 7
Alright, I set up a 120mm fan at 100% over the VRM area:

After running Prime95 again for about 20 minutes, temps leveled out and the VRM is a couple degrees cooler than before. It also took much longer to get to 50. But the CPU multiplier is still throttled down to 37. I guess it's not VRM temps?