cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Gene VII has fewer audio capacitors than before

seryat
Level 7
I can't help but notice that the new Gene VII has only 7 capacitors on the new separate audio riser card, compared with over twice that many on the previous generation's Gene VI motherboard, even though both use the same ALC1150 codec. Also, it has half as many capacitors than are on the built-in audio card of the Impact VI also using the ALC1150 codec. The Hero VII looks to have 15 capacitors on the motherboard. It seems like this generation's Gene VII audio is better in some ways (separate audio riser card for less interference) , but has fewer audio capacitors than before for less sophisticated filtering of the audio. Does having more audio capacitors on a motherboard generally mean that the sound is better in some particular way?
4 REPLIES 4

kwelz
Level 7
The quality of each Capacitor is more important than the number. I am not saying that these are that much better or not. Just saying that it is often the case where half the number is better as long as the quality is there.

Considering how atrocious the sound is on the Maximus VI Gene, I don't think it could get much worse. It looks to me that it may have less capacitors because it only has half as many audio ports as the previous model.

Raja
Level 13
The number of caps used depend on a number of factors.

1) Anything post regulation needs to be chosen carefully to compliment the bandwidth of the preceding regulator. Failure to do so can lead to oscillation in the regulator or too many caps on its ouput actually worsen the regulators performance and power supply impedance.

2) Pre-regulation, it really depends how much attenutation is required and the noise frequency being decoupled.

3) The number of caps required for a given task depends on their rated storage, ESR and possibly ESL as well.

Conclusion therefore is that more caps does not = better sound 🙂

cekic
Level 7
@seryat: Hi, it is not like that the number of capacitors will decide the sound quality until we are not sure about the purpose of the capacitors and usually the capacitors are used for filtering and there are other parameters of the capacitors also like capacitance, rated voltage etc. which affect the working of circuit. For example, if I will connect ten 1uf capacitor in parallel then the total capacitance will be 10uf. So it is same either I use 10 1UF or 1 10Uf capacitors. Therefore number of capacitor doesn’t matter.

electronic manufacturing services