Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Windows 7 startup/freezing problems with FX 8150 CPU + Crosshair V Formula

PROBLEM
    Hi everyone.

I recently purchased a Crosshairs V Formula motherboard and paired it with an AMD FX 8150, 8GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance RAM and a Corsair TX750 PSU. I am unfortunately using the stock cooling on this otherwise awesome setup... Anyway, I managed to install windows 7 ultimate just fine on my new rig, installed the drivers (all up to date as of the ASUS website right now).

About two weeks ago, the rig started behaving strangely. During bootup, it freezes at the 'Starting Windows' splash screen and everything just stops responding. The lights on my mouse (Coolermaster Storm Sentinel) when clicked would blink but there would be no other response. The only way out from this would be a hard reset.

On the subsequent reboot, the machine would seem to be on with all fans spinning and all the lights on but there would be no signal on the monitor. The CPU LED however, would come on and stay lit. At this point, the only way of coaxing a response from the machine would be to randomly cycle power and pressing the RTC button. After a few resets (varies between 4-10 attempts) the PC boots and logs into. It functions normally for a time (up to 12 hrs even) then freezes. Trying to reboot takes you back to the 'half booted' state. After a random number of attempts, it logs into windows again

SYMPTOMS
    It seems almost guaranteed to freeze:
    1. First time boot
    2. Entering Sleep mode.
    3. When the PC is idle for more than 15 mins
    4. Driver/Update Restarts
    5. Sometimes during games

ATTEMPTED FIXES
    1. I have tried all the common RAM tests with no results. The RAM is from my previous AMD 955 +M5A88 build and has been working OK. 6 hour memtest in both DIMM banks did not find any error. Tried it again on my old build and on my friends Intel build

2. I updated the BIOS from the default (07xx) to 1503. Didn't work. Went back to 1402, still didn't work. Went back to 1503 coz i didn't have the original backed up.

3. I tested my power supply on my friend's setup and everything seemed OK.

4. Windows re-installation. Still hangs occasionally, even without installing drivers. Frequency increases after i have installed the drivers. It is still erratic however.

5. Swearing/Weeping/Praying. Not much luck.

MISC INFO
    During the freezes, i have noticed the HDD LED light stays off (if outside windows environment) or stays solidly lit rather than the ocassional blink (if in windows). The hard drive is a 2TB WD Green, no RAID config. I also have a 1TB drive and a SATA LG DVD drive.

Any ideas. Sorry for the large amount of text.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Details are good, that way we know what is going on. So all good for the long post.

If possible please try to borrow a CPU and swap it out with your one.

Does the problem, remain when you are at defaults? And that includes the ram.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array stock12to32's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by infernus42 View Post
    5. Swearing/Weeping/Praying. Not much luck.
    Ha Ha, I think we all include that step in our diag steps. very funny.

To add what HiVizMan has suggested. To rule out your hard drive. When you get in to windows, try going to "My Computer" right click on your drive and select the "Tools" tab and run a error-checking and see if you come up with anything.
    3dMark11: P13350
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6105510

System:
    ASUS Crosshair V Formila BIOS 1703
    AMD FX 8350 @ 25x 200 = 5Ghz (water cooled)
    16Gb Patriot Vipper Xtreme DDR3 2133Mhz
    x3 ATI HD6970 trifire @ 920Mhz GPU and 1400Mhz Memory
    x2 128Gb Samsung 830 Series SSD RAID-0
    128Gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD
    x2 1Tb 7200RPM Hardrives RAID-0
    LEPA 1600W PSU
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow
    x3 27" ASUS LED LCD (eyfinity)
    LG Blue-Ray
    Logitech G110 Keyboard
    Logitech G500 Mouse
    Windows 8 64 bit

Sorry for late reply. The problem occurs when i'm at stock. I haven't overclocked anything at all and I have disabled Auto-tune and Turbocore in BIOS. The RAM is at default as well. Strangely, when i boot it up after pressing the RTC button it says 'Overclocking Failed' even though i have disabled turbo core and auto level up. Why would it try and overclock even when disabled in BIOS?

As for the hard drive, its fairly new... and disk tests using hiren's boot CD doesn't seem to find any errors. The only connection i can put between the hard disk and this error is that the HDD light does not blink when it freezes, showing that there is no hard drive activity at all. Is it possible that this motherboard intermittently cuts the power to the SATA ports? I really i'm at my wits end here... if this motherboard doesn't work I am well and truly screwed. RMA from where I am would take months at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    If possible please try to borrow a CPU and swap it out with your one.

Does the problem, remain when you are at defaults? And that includes the ram.
    I will be getting back my old 955BE CPU a few days from now so I will try replaceing it and see what will happen.

Cheers mate.

The easy way to test is things run at defaults is to simply clear cmos or press F5 and enter.

And then F10 to save and post.

If you make any change to the system, even just disable Turbo settings I think the bios thinks you are overclocking.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Sounds a bit like a RAM problem. How many sticks are there and in which slots are they located?

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array Rockford's Avatar

voltages?

vtt/vccsa?

I was able to get an FX4100 and an old Athlon II from a friend of mine and swapped out the 8150. The FX4100 has the same issue though to a much lesser extent, as it only has problems during bootup but once its in windows, it runs without freezing up. The Athlon II however, runs just fine. No lockups, no freezing at boot time, nothing.

So now I am completely at a loss. Is it the motherboard that is acting up or what? /

@Xpack
    I am using default/auto settings. I can't remember the exact voltages of the CPU and since I've given out the 8150, i can't do a screenshot. I do remember seeing it hovering around 1.368v @ 3.6Ghz last time i was in there (F5 optimized btw). The RAM is on auto everything.

@Myk SilentShadow
    I have a 2x4GB configuration of and the sticks are plugged into the black slots. I've already tried moving them to the red slots to see if the problem would go away but it still occured.

@HiVizMan
    I use optimized defaults all the time. Didn't want to OC till i got a proper cooling solution. Had my eye on the Thermaltake Frio but this issue might make it difficult to grab one now.

Right - I am perplexed that the older CPU did not present any of the symptoms.

The fact you ran such an exhaustive session of memtest86+ has to some extent foreclosed my thinking on ram as being a cause. And since your system is all at stock, well optimised settings could you please test out how things work with only one stick or ram and defaults selected, not the optimised version if you do not mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast