cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at a TUF Motherboard

JimmyH
Level 10
I live in a dusty, humid are of Australia, well during the summer it's pretty humid.

Anyway, I am weighing up purchasing a Z87 Sabertooth.

What I am confused about is the memory capability. I am only a novice when it comes to OC ing a pc, and enjoy it as I get to learn about it as I go, but this one has me stumped.

In the tab data or characteristics if you want to put it that way, it says 4 X DIMM Max 32 GB 1866/1600/1333/1066 Non ECC, unbuffered.

What does that actually mean? Will my G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10Q-16GTX (4x4GB) work.

Is the Sabertooth OK to Overclock?
2 REPLIES 2

philly_cheese_s
Level 8
You should be fine,
Either it boots or it don't right. So try it unless the memory say it is made for a certain board which is not your Tuff board. That board is made for over clocking so...........

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
JimmyH wrote:
I live in a dusty, humid are of Australia, well during the summer it's pretty humid.

Anyway, I am weighing up purchasing a Z87 Sabertooth.

What I am confused about is the memory capability. I am only a novice when it comes to OC ing a pc, and enjoy it as I get to learn about it as I go, but this one has me stumped.

In the tab data or characteristics if you want to put it that way, it says 4 X DIMM Max 32 GB 1866/1600/1333/1066 Non ECC, unbuffered.

What does that actually mean? Will my G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10Q-16GTX (4x4GB) work.

Is the Sabertooth OK to Overclock?

Hey mate, basically what it's saying is; with Haswell CPU's 1866 is not considered an Overclock on your RAM, providing your RAM is 1866 and beyond. Non ECC means there is no Error Checking & Correcting, which is usually reserved for Workstation/Server RAM...it's a stability requirement. And unbuffered; DDR3 has no buffering on desktop systems. It's a chip that helps deal with large quantities of RAM for Server/Workstation builds and adds latency to RAM, so you don't want to be using it in a desktop build.