cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M5A88-M !!! Beyond Awesome !!!

chrsplmr
Level 18
I had the best motherboard experience of my life.
Yes, it was that easy.

I had to replace an ASUS M4A88-M LE, an AM3 light edition micro atx board.
I thought well, upgrade it to an AM3+ board and future proof it a bit.
I was changing the board anyway.
What a surprise I was in for.

I switched out boards, hit the power, updated a driver or two, windows re validation..arrggh!
Lapse time? 45 minutes. Runs off the hook. All the bells and whistles are in the bios.
(Not that I had to touch them, but, well I had to touch them..hahaha)
I can not say how pleased I am with this experience..and I will be reaching for this
board for any non ROG builds I touch ...The ASUS M5A88-M has it all.
It is a super Multi Media BluRay ready Dual Digi Lil' Monster.
It has built in 1080p hdmi, 8 Channel audio, 4 Memory lanes, 8/16pcie...LOADED.
This is like discovering a sleeper AMD ROG Gene.....almost. The 'very next' best thing.

The Build:

ASUS M5A88-M | AMD Phenom II x4 955 (Stock Cooling)| G.Skill Sniper 2x4GB 1333 (Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR) | Asus DVD/CD | CoolMax 500 PSU | SeaGate 1TB 7200 | Black Apex SuperCase (My favorite Everyday M-ATX) Win7 Pro64

Asus makes many great boards... Some stand above the others,

This ASUS M5A88-M is one of them.
Only one question. Does it come in Black and Red?
Thank You ASUS.

Cons? Not enough tweaking needed.
Too easy.
7 REPLIES 7

raisethe3
Level 7
Very nice review.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Thank You RaiseThe3... I know its not ROG...but this board didn't know it, and the blue didnt make me puke or noth'n...ahhahhahaa.c.

Where is the VRM heatsink? I would not overclock at all without one.

chrsplmr
Level 18
JC,
OK, You got me. Where is it? This is factory, right out of the box, right into the case, no mods, all Asus.
Are you saying that you look at this board and see something is missing? Or you are saying that
this is really not an overclocking board? Well, It 'aint' black and red brother. hahahahhahaa.

I ran it up to 3.8..playin with it...but this machine will live its life in an accounting and insurance
office, and maybe part of a presentation or two along the way.
OC and Gaming not big on this builds list of 'things to do'.
So, Please, fill me in.

Trust me, unless this board refuses to boot, it is staying right where it is at...hahaha (looooooong story.)
But for the next one, is there something I should know...or were you making lite?

Some might even say.
VRM Heatsink? What VRM Heatsink? I dont need no stink'n VRM Heatsink. hahahahaha.c.

I thought you were planning to do some over clocking on this board because of the AMD Black edition CPU.

Mason
Level 10
great review! i'm in the same boat. i'd love to see an AMD Gene. just need to collect enough feedback from others who do as well 🙂

chrsplmr
Level 18
John, ThankYou....Im glad you thought that or I wouldnt have seen the AMD video, all the amd guyz should see that. HERE
No, just protecting the owners investment, the most for the least, leaving play options open to him, inexpensively.
I left out the Estate Investor part, he is fascinated by doing much with little, tickled really.

I saw this somewhere long ago:
"We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing at all"
I didnt think I would ever see it for Real until I saw,,,,,ROGmembers in action.

Mason, Thank You Sir.
There are several polls ... and wish lists throughout the forum. Cryekk is one of
the leading voices....but there are many echoes....and now Yours...let's do it. hehehehe
There are alot of exciting Asus mAtx AMD AM3+'s, just not ROG.
and it sounds to me that JC, most others probably too, thought well, looks good, except
no Vrm Heatsink....or 2nd pcie for that matter....and that blue....aarrrggghhh.

If not ROG, How about this: >>> ASUS AMD BLACK or BULLDOZER or FX EDITION GENE <<< All Black or Red (Junkie-White)
All RED..that would be fitting both themes///it could still be ROG...
A dual FX Extreme...could be very tasty too.
I would so love to walk in with the above case..and hopefully hear a few snickers....until I lite it up..hahah..
yea..its a ROG...SleeperROG..(I can only settle for second best now, Intel..hahahahahhaa)

SuperMan Vs. SpiderMan..... SuperMan has that blue beating on his chest, but Spidey....Black and Red all
the way through....and I guess we all know about...BatMan.