cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX-BBK7 (Best Buy version) LCD Upgrade complete!

Retired
Not applicable
Greetings Everyone!

A few weeks ago I made a post requesting information on upgrading the LCD of the G74Sx Best Buy revision--and received lackluster response (are none of you guys modders?) So I ended up setting out on a search and exploration mission to successfully upgrade my LCD.

Background:

The Best Buy model of the Asus G74Sx comes with a cheaper LCD panel, one that is roughly about half the cost of the stock 1080P panel that comes with these systems. Looking around the internet, the model that I found inside my G74Sx is a Samsung 17" panel that costs roughly around $60-$70 to get a replacement. This panel's native resolution is only 1600x900, which sucks.

Upgrade:

I went to a website for laptop screens (can I even link here what I bought due to spam? I won't unless someone requests it) and looked at the panels they had available for the Asus G73JH. I ended up picking out a Glossy 1920x1080P replacement that they list, total cost including shipping was $140-$150 or so.

Process:

You don't need to take the whole laptop apart to do this upgrade, however if you want more working room feel free to do so--I didn't want to rip out 30 some odd screws from the bottom of the case to disconnect the monitor portion.

1. Remove Screws from beneath rubber feet in front of the monitor.

2. CAREFULLY, AND I DO MEAN CAREFULLY use a flathead screw driver to unclip the front panel plastic of the monitor itself. There are lots of little clips in here that can break very easily, as in, I broke a few (more on this later). You want to be careful with this and try to find each with the flathead to push in JUST ENOUGH to not break the clips.

3. Once the panel is off, you can undo the screws that hold the LCD in place. There are a lot of them.

4. Careful remove the LCD from the housing.

5. On the back of the LCD is a video cable held on with some tape. Undo the tape, and pull down on the cable to free it from the back of the LCD.

6. Remove the side mounting brackets from the LCD.

7. Install on new LCD.

8. Reverse whole process.

9. Completed!

This accomplished having a new, higher viewing angle, higher resolution LCD for my Asus G74Sx--hopefully the same or a similar panel that comes stock on the higher end Asus devices.

Caveats:

So the plastic clips are very very easy to break. I don't think they intend to actually remove these even for LCD replacements. The more likely method they use to replace the LCD is to replace the entire monitor housing at once, only pulling the LCD out if they wish to salvage that for re-use.

Notes:

If Asus would be kind to send me a new plastic housing for my LCD that'd be awesome. I broke a number of the clips on the bottom and lower right side of my monitor housing. This was due to me being overzealous on wanting to get it off, and had I been more careful this wouldn't have happened. Hey, you live and learn!

Pictures will be forthcoming!

And yes, other than the broken clips, which if I can't get replacements, I'll use double sided sticky tape to help resolve, the LCD looks and performs great!
25 REPLIES 25

Retired
Not applicable
Past upgrades to laptop:

1. Removed Intel 6150 Wimax card and replaced with Intel 6205 Dual-Band N card.

Future upgrades planned:

2. Double the RAM
3. Add SSD

Retired
Not applicable
such an enthusiastic modder should buy a desktop! haha xD Could you explain in detail were you found the screen cable? (the LCDV - cable) because mine is eighter faulty or just a bit loose and it would be awesome if i could just give it a push instead of RMA'ing the laptop !!

Symb
Level 8
Daring modding, well rewarded it seems. 🙂
Keep up the good work!

-Symb
*** G74SX-TZ226V (European model) | Kingston HyperX SSD 120gb Sata-III
"STOCK" BIOS 202 (If it's not broken, why fix it.) *** <- Sold 😞

Lorca
Level 7
You must be at least a pc technician aficionado! Even with your nice instructions I really don't recommend the average joe to do this. Is like telling a poor dude out of the blue, hey dude my wife is in labor , look, just do this; do this....do that...be careful when you pull.......Ok..... got it? -----(you) "uh.......ok"

irdmoose
Level 10
I'd rather buy the entire assembly. I'm kinda lazy like that. Plus, I want to upgrade to the 3DE screen and have the integrated IR emitter.

To me its not worth it...You buy a BBK7 model then end up replacing the LCD later on preety much ends up costing the same as getting a G74sx with 1080p screen anyway, but you end up loosing warranty and possibility of screwing up your system...
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

Retired
Not applicable
@irdmoose

I would have preferred the entire assembly also, but when I contacted Asus they told me they don't sell them openly. I had to take matters into my own hands if I wanted this to work.

@jorlanm

Actually, purchasing the LCD replacement with a BBK7 model ends up being a bit cheaper than going flat A1 since the A1 comes with upgraded hardware as well (more RAM, more HD space). So if you wanted to go with a smaller hard drive or spread the cost of the components out over time, getting the LCD itself is cheaper in the short term.

You couldve gotten an G74sx-XR1...which is like $100 more than the BBk7...Kept your warranty and everything...Not to mention getting a 192-Bit GPU instead of a 128-Bit GPU on the BBK7...

BBk7 looks cheap but specs wise its not...
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

Retired
Not applicable
I suppose you could do that.

Admittedly, Asus does not make it easy to find nor distinguish all of the available models and they're continually releasing new models to different channels.

Marketing-wise, it's a sham.

Either way, the BBK7 version works reasonably well and for those that want to eventually maybe upgrade some parts, it's decent.