cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g750js Recovery Partition needed

Yurong
Level 7
So I made a boneheaded mistake when trying to dual-boot windows 8 and windows 7 which resulted in losing my entire recovery partition. Since ASUS in their infinite wisdom does not provide recovery media anymore, I am hoping that some very kind forum member might make an image of their recovery partition and upload it to my FTP. I realize that it is over 20gb and will take awhile, but I really don't want to have to RMA my new machine.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

hmscott
Level 12
Yurong wrote:
So I made a boneheaded mistake when trying to dual-boot windows 8 and windows 7 which resulted in losing my entire recovery partition. Since ASUS in their infinite wisdom does not provide recovery media anymore, I am hoping that some very kind forum member might make an image of their recovery partition and upload it to my FTP. I realize that it is over 20gb and will take awhile, but I really don't want to have to RMA my new machine.
Thanks!

Yurong, did you contact Asus to see if they now offer a flash drive or other media to get you the recovery partition? Asus normally sells recovery media via the estore.asus.com - but I don't see it yet. Also, Asus might let you RMA the drive and they can restore it for you and send it back - you could use another drive in the interim to boot from on your laptop - without sending in the whole laptop.

Create an account here, sign in and register the laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry asking for help on getting back the recovery capability either through re-cloning your drive, or Asus sending you flash media (for cost?) made with the Asus Backtracker recovery program.
http://vip.asus.com

I don't know why Asus doesn't provide a flash media recovery device with every laptop. It would save so much time, disappointment, and aggravation.

Let us know what you work out with Asus.

HomieOC
Level 7
i Have the flash drive copy on my FTP server.. private message me, and i'll give you my server info and you can download it.. it's only 10 gb though not 20 gb.. smaller then you think

HomieOC wrote:
i Have the flash drive copy on my FTP server.. private message me, and i'll give you my server info and you can download it.. it's only 10 gb though not 20 gb.. smaller then you think

HomieOC, did you use a 16GB flash drive for the Asus Backtracker backup? If so Asus Backtracker backs up about 13GB on the 16GB drive. If you use a smaller drive, Asus Backtracker backs up less stuff.

Asus Backtracker has options that show up with a larger Flash drive that copy over additional stuff - backing up the eSupport dir docs/drivers.

What imaging tool did you use to copy over the flash drive bootable image for ftp? Is it compressed down to 10GB? What tool does Yurong use to recreate a bootable flash drive from the image?

Or did you make an image copy of the recovery partiton? In order to have that work, the disk needs to be partitioned with additional configuration to allow F9 to work. If Yurong reformtted, he is not just missing the recovery partition, he is also missing the partitioning and F9 bootable configuration. So Yurong needs the Asus Backtracker bootable flash drive.

Just in case someone else needs to do this in the future, it would be nice to document the process 🙂

did you still have your restore partition on you ftp ? I'll be interested to get it... I've try to pm you but my account doesn't seem to be fully activated

HomieOC
Level 7
i have a 32 GB flash drive.. dunno it only is 10 gb.. i have windows 8.1 64 bit.. and the backup also has the drivers automatically in OS

HomieOC wrote:
i have a 32 GB flash drive.. dunno it only is 10 gb.. i have windows 8.1 64 bit.. and the backup also has the drivers automatically in OS

HomieOC, what about documenting the process to create the image from the flash drive and then create the bootable image onto another flash drive? Does Yurong need a 32GB flash drive, or does the tool you use resize the image to fit onto a smaller flash drive?

HomieOC
Level 7
i just copied my flash files into my server... he just needs a 16 gb flash drive.. and i think if he copies it over and it should work... i see boot files in the folders.

HomieOC wrote:
i just copied my flash files into my server... he just needs a 16 gb flash drive.. and i think if he copies it over and it should work... i see boot files in the folders.

You can't just copy files onto a disk or flash drive and have it magically became bootable.

You need a program to extract all the structure that makes up a bootable image and recreate it on the other flash drive to create the bootable drive.

Here is a good tutorial, there are quite a few, if you have/find another one please post it:

http://www.techfeb.com/how-to-clone-bootable-pen-drive-to-another-one-tutorial-and-uses/

Here is the imageusb tool they reference, their link no longer takes you directly to the imageusb page:
http://www.osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html

If you just copy the files, it won't work, and you will have wasted the upload/download time to find out that it doesn't work.

I am also not sure if the imageusb tool will take a 32GB image, and allow a smaller flash drive to be made - like the 16GB that will hold the size of image you have for Windows 8.1.

That is why it is always good to try to walk through the whole process yourself and make sure the process generates the desired result.

If you already ftp'd the files, you might be able to make a UEFI bootable flash drive and copy the files to it, modifying this technique for making a bootable Windows installer.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

Once you have done it once yourself successfully, you can write the instructions that will allow the recipient to have success too 🙂