Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

So I just got a G750JS-DS71.......

So I got my G750JS-DS71 today and I had some major issues with it (Battery charging issue and Boot issue), so the company I got the laptop from is overnighting me a new one. So I been browsing the forums and I see that a lot of people are having issues with these notebooks. So my question is. Anybody having good experiences with it ? Anything you did to make the laptop more effective and to run with less problems, I did see some of you disable the fast boot, and others disable driver signature enforcement.

any feedback is much appreciated

thanks guys

PS: sorry for my grammar, English is my 3rd language.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

It seems the new G750 (JS, JZ and I forgot) have more problems than the previous ones, maybe because they run hotter. Strange way to do business for Asus, imo.

Anyway, I was surprised at how many people complain about their new G750 model 2014. I could be wrong, of course.

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno2284 View Post
    So I got my G750JS-DS71 today and I had some major issues with it (Battery charging issue and Boot issue), so the company I got the laptop from is over-nighting me a new one. So I been browsing the forums and I see that a lot of people are having issues with these notebooks. So my question is. Anybody having good experiences with it ? Anything you did to make the laptop more effective and to run with less problems, I did see some of you disable the fast boot, and others disable driver signature enforcement.
    any feedback is much appreciated
    thanks guys
    PS: sorry for my grammar, English is my 3rd language.
    Bruno2284, for the thousands of laptops built and sold, many of the problems come through here to find a solution before going back to the seller or to Asus for repair. This is a user support forum, so the owners of G750's try to help new owners through the process of getting to know their laptop's idiosyncratic behaviors, and try to separate those behaviors from actual problems.

Around the release of a new laptop design, like the G750JM/JS/JZ that now has Optimus there is a period of time where we need to recalibrate our understanding of what is "normal".

For the new G750JM/JS/JZ the new normal is that the CPU is under greater load with the Intel GPU enabled on the same die as the CPU, and the temperatures are up considerably from what we expect as normal on the G750JW/JX/JH.

Even with the JW/JX/JH most new owners aren't used to having 2 fans for cooling, and don't immediately get that the CPU side fan is the only one that normally runs most of the time, while the GPU fan doesn't run unless pushed hard by a game or CUDA processing.

The Optimus tuning is adding a level of frustration because you now have to be aware and check to make sure that on AC power everything you want to get processed on the Nvidia GPU is really running on the Nvidia GPU - and if it is running on the Intel GPU that means the CPU is now doing double duty as is the CPU cooling system.

So if the Intel GPU is being used most of the time, as is the CPU, then the CPU cooling system is running hotter, and the fan running faster and longer - making more noise.

The battery issue started a while before the new G750's released, and new G750JW/JX/JH's were reporting the same charging / power issues, so that seems to be related to that shared section of the old/new versions.

Then take into account the problems of starting a new production run for the G750JM/JS/JZ, you are going to get some fallout with G750's that are failing to cool adequately - and need to be returned to the seller or RMA'd back to Asus.

And, it is busy with lots of excited people spending big $ on something they expect to work correctly out of the box, and rightly so.

The good news is, the people that are returning their non-functioning G750's are getting good ones, eventually

The same thing happened with the JW/JX/JH in different ways at different times. And there are lots of happy owners of the G750JW/JX/JZ.

I was fortunate that my first JW was perfect, my 2nd JX was perfect, and my first JH was perfect. This JH is still running great, since November last year. I bought a 2nd power adapter from the Asus estore.asus.com and will likely get a 2nd battery at some point soon - those are the long term elements I would suggest getting a good backup.

Please come back and let us know how your replacement G750JZ runs!

And, while you are waiting you can read up on all the vast knowledge stored here in the forums

Welcome to the ROG forums!
    Last edited by hmscott; 06-24-2014 at 11:35 AM.

New ROGer Array

mine runs as cool as a cucumber. I've played Crysis 3 and BioShock Infinite on max settings the heat is minimal and what heat there is goes strait out the back. I love my JZ.

New ROGer Array

I order mine (ASUS G750JS-DS71) from xotic pc, I have no issues whatsoever. I do play Guild Wars 2 and it gets pretty warm (not hot) but playing other games it stays cool.

ROG Enthusiast Array

So I got my new laptop this morning, Battery/Charger issue is gone, everything is going great until I started to load some games... Stupid intergraded card is taking priority on everything.

try installing beta drivers
    try to disable integrated card
    try to use the NVidia inspection software to manually override the game
    try to set high performance as default
    try to load game from NVidia experience

nothing works..... I have gotten ASUS ROG laptops for every one in my company since 2011 and I never seen anything like this. Please for the love god someone help me fix this, I really don't want to send this back after it's all set-up with my stuff now.

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno2284 View Post
    So I got my new laptop this morning, Battery/Charger issue is gone, everything is going great until I started to load some games... Stupid intergraded card is taking priority on everything.

try installing beta drivers
    try to disable integrated card
    try to use the NVidia inspection software to manually override the game
    try to set high performance as default
    try to load game from NVidia experience

nothing works..... I have gotten ASUS ROG laptops for every one in my company since 2011 and I never seen anything like this. Please for the love god someone help me fix this, I really don't want to send this back after it's all set-up with my stuff now.
    Bruno2284, you may be the guy perfect to pursue this with Asus, escalating as needed up through engineering / managerial to get the word to them you aren't happy / functional, and need a fix. File a detailed Technical Inquiry, and take it from there

You may also want to start similar technical requests through Intel and Nvidia, since the core problem is the interaction with Intel/Nvidia hardware/software outside the control of Asus, except to have decided to integrate that crap into our previously awesome laptops
    Last edited by hmscott; 05-22-2014 at 12:59 AM.

ROG Member Array

Just curious, are you running a WoW gold-farming operation or similar so that you got your employes gaming laptops

just kidding

My 750JS has been amazing and I've own it for a month now. I haven't had any Optimus issues yet - apart from the games I play I have Sony Vegas 10 & 12 and all automatically detected the NVidia. The one thing I have forced to use the NVidia is Google Chrome, everything else detects it automatically. I don't see what the problem is - you open the NVidia control panel and select the card to use it takes about 5 clicks.

There are a few things you can't select the NVidia for (like the Windows Explorer) and I don't see why I would need the discrete GPU for that. No mater what people say, the 4600 Intel GPU is quite potent for mundane tasks, you just need to have the latest drivers (15.33xxx) and have it installed correctly. It handles all basics like a breeze.

Hell, I have even tried a few games on the Intel card and it runs them amazingly well (World of Warcraft) which was a surprise. When people say that the Windows Explorer stutters on the Intel GPU or something like that, take it with a grain of salt. 80% of the laptops in the world have a worse GPU than the 4600 and are running windows quite well.

When I'm not processing video or playing a game I have never ever had any of the 2 fans on, no exceptions. When I play a game the CPU fan starts spinning and about 5min later or so the GPU fan comes on. When I quit the game both fans slowly wind down and stop emitting audible sound within 15 sec. Never had the 2 fans stay on for more than 15 secs after quitting a game or finished processing video.

The JS has been amazing so far, this is RoG after all. My other laptop is G73 which I bough back in 2010 and is still a freakin beast albeit much, much slower than the JS. Never had any problems with both laptops and that's why I only go RoG.
    Last edited by Hegemon; 05-22-2014 at 12:25 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Ive had 3 Asus g750 jm models, all of which during gaming on any game hit 100+ degrees on CPU. All of which were returned to best buy for replacement, with the 3rd one just returned for refund.

I then went to amazon and stepped up to the g750js model. While this one gets up to 100c, its normally around 95c max. Hasn't thermally throttled yet. So I'm beginning to think this is just the new CPU temp since the gpu is also used with this model. Plus the copper pipes vs before maybe that has something to do with it as well. Idk. But I'm keeping this one, as yes it runs hotter than id like, it doesn't throttle at all.

One somewhat concerning thing about my j's model though. Is that for where the CPU usage is, it seems to run warmer. Example, upon boot and later with only one chrome tab open (CPU at 10% max), I'm sitting at 65-70c. Gaming results in 85c. Video editing or rendering results in 95-98c. Again nothing throttles, and I love the overall laptop as its solid and I feel perfect, so I'm willing to deal with a warmer than should be running laptop since it leads to no thermal throttling and fan noise still isn't loud.

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by Hegemon View Post
    My 750JS has been amazing and I've own it for a month now. I haven't had any Optimus issues yet - apart from the games I play I have Sony Vegas 10 & 12 and all automatically detected the NVidia. The one thing I have forced to use the NVidia is Google Chrome, everything else detects it automatically. I don't see what the problem is - you open the NVidia control panel and select the card to use it takes about 5 clicks.

There are a few things you can't select the NVidia for (like the Windows Explorer) and I don't see why I would need the discrete GPU for that. No mater what people say, the 4600 Intel GPU is quite potent for mundane tasks, you just need to have the latest drivers (15.33xxx) and have it installed correctly. It handles all basics like a breeze.

Hell, I have even tried a few games on the Intel card and it runs them amazingly well (World of Warcraft) which was a surprise. When people say that the Windows Explorer stutters on the Intel GPU or something like that, take it with a grain of salt. 80% of the laptops in the world have a worse GPU than the 4600 and are running windows quite well.

When I'm not processing video or playing a game I have never ever had any of the 2 fans on, no exceptions. When I play a game the CPU fan starts spinning and about 5min later or so the GPU fan comes on. When I quit the game both fans slowly wind down and stop emitting audible sound within 15 sec. Never had the 2 fans stay on for more than 15 secs after quitting a game or finished processing video.

The JS has been amazing so far, this is RoG after all. My other laptop is G73 which I bough back in 2010 and is still a freakin beast albeit much, much slower than the JS. Never had any problems with both laptops and that's why I only go RoG.
    Hegemon, that is awesome that you are happy with your G750JS, it gives me hope that I will be happy with my G750JZ

It looks like the mix of things you do, and the performance you are getting is working for you, and that's great too.

I just want to correct a couple of assumptions and focus on the issues that other G750JM/JS/JZ owners have mentioned.

The complaints about applications stuck on Intel GPU, hot Intel CPU/GPU, games that won't obey the Nvidia/Intel Optimus settings and stay on Intel - or worse, games that work on Intel and switch to Nvidia then crash until moved back to Intel, all of those complaints here on this forum are all about G750JM/JS/JZ, not the other 80% of the world

When you tried World of Warcraft on Intel, were you then able to switch to Nvidia and compare performance, what was the FPS difference, and could you move to higher/highest settings moving from Intel to Nvidia?

We all want it to work, and people wouldn't be complaining if there wasn't a problem - and yes the other 80% of the world with Optimus has been complaining about it for years, we are just wondering why we find ourselves moved over to this problematic Optimus system instead of remaining on our previously successful discrete CPU/GPU laptops

Don't you wish your laptop didn't have Optimus either, whether it is functioning ok for you or not, isn't it more work for you than it was on your G73 to get things to work the way you want them to on your G750JS?

Have you run extensively on battery yet? Have you noticed an extended runtime on battery vs your G73?
    Last edited by hmscott; 05-22-2014 at 01:14 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast