cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I just got a G750JS-DS71.......

Bruno2284
Level 7
So I got my G750JS-DS71 today and I had some major issues with it (Battery charging issue and Boot issue), so the company I got the laptop from is overnighting me a new one. So I been browsing the forums and I see that a lot of people are having issues with these notebooks. So my question is. Anybody having good experiences with it ? Anything you did to make the laptop more effective and to run with less problems, I did see some of you disable the fast boot, and others disable driver signature enforcement.

any feedback is much appreciated

thanks guys

PS: sorry for my grammar, English is my 3rd language.
28 REPLIES 28

KoolASUS
Level 7
It seems the new G750 (JS, JZ and I forgot) have more problems than the previous ones, maybe because they run hotter. Strange way to do business for Asus, imo.

Anyway, I was surprised at how many people complain about their new G750 model 2014. I could be wrong, of course.

hmscott
Level 12
Bruno2284 wrote:
So I got my G750JS-DS71 today and I had some major issues with it (Battery charging issue and Boot issue), so the company I got the laptop from is over-nighting me a new one. So I been browsing the forums and I see that a lot of people are having issues with these notebooks. So my question is. Anybody having good experiences with it ? Anything you did to make the laptop more effective and to run with less problems, I did see some of you disable the fast boot, and others disable driver signature enforcement.
any feedback is much appreciated
thanks guys
PS: sorry for my grammar, English is my 3rd language.

Bruno2284, for the thousands of laptops built and sold, many of the problems come through here to find a solution before going back to the seller or to Asus for repair. This is a user support forum, so the owners of G750's try to help new owners through the process of getting to know their laptop's idiosyncratic behaviors, and try to separate those behaviors from actual problems.

Around the release of a new laptop design, like the G750JM/JS/JZ that now has Optimus there is a period of time where we need to recalibrate our understanding of what is "normal".

For the new G750JM/JS/JZ the new normal is that the CPU is under greater load with the Intel GPU enabled on the same die as the CPU, and the temperatures are up considerably from what we expect as normal on the G750JW/JX/JH.

Even with the JW/JX/JH most new owners aren't used to having 2 fans for cooling, and don't immediately get that the CPU side fan is the only one that normally runs most of the time, while the GPU fan doesn't run unless pushed hard by a game or CUDA processing.

The Optimus tuning is adding a level of frustration because you now have to be aware and check to make sure that on AC power everything you want to get processed on the Nvidia GPU is really running on the Nvidia GPU - and if it is running on the Intel GPU that means the CPU is now doing double duty as is the CPU cooling system.

So if the Intel GPU is being used most of the time, as is the CPU, then the CPU cooling system is running hotter, and the fan running faster and longer - making more noise.

The battery issue started a while before the new G750's released, and new G750JW/JX/JH's were reporting the same charging / power issues, so that seems to be related to that shared section of the old/new versions.

Then take into account the problems of starting a new production run for the G750JM/JS/JZ, you are going to get some fallout with G750's that are failing to cool adequately - and need to be returned to the seller or RMA'd back to Asus.

And, it is busy with lots of excited people spending big $ on something they expect to work correctly out of the box, and rightly so.

The good news is, the people that are returning their non-functioning G750's are getting good ones, eventually 🙂

The same thing happened with the JW/JX/JH in different ways at different times. And there are lots of happy owners of the G750JW/JX/JZ.

I was fortunate that my first JW was perfect, my 2nd JX was perfect, and my first JH was perfect. This JH is still running great, since November last year. I bought a 2nd power adapter from the Asus estore.asus.com and will likely get a 2nd battery at some point soon - those are the long term elements I would suggest getting a good backup.

Please come back and let us know how your replacement G750JZ runs!

And, while you are waiting you can read up on all the vast knowledge stored here in the forums 🙂

Welcome to the ROG forums!

mine runs as cool as a cucumber. I've played Crysis 3 and BioShock Infinite on max settings the heat is minimal and what heat there is goes strait out the back. I love my JZ.

aclin12
Level 7
mine runs as cool as a cucumber. I've played Crysis 3 on max settings the heat is minimal and what heat there is goes strait out the back. I love my JZ.

wafflechomp
Level 7
I order mine (ASUS G750JS-DS71) from xotic pc, I have no issues whatsoever. I do play Guild Wars 2 and it gets pretty warm (not hot) but playing other games it stays cool.

Bruno2284
Level 7
So I got my new laptop this morning, Battery/Charger issue is gone, everything is going great until I started to load some games... Stupid intergraded card is taking priority on everything.

try installing beta drivers
try to disable integrated card
try to use the NVidia inspection software to manually override the game
try to set high performance as default
try to load game from NVidia experience

nothing works..... I have gotten ASUS ROG laptops for every one in my company since 2011 and I never seen anything like this. Please for the love god someone help me fix this, I really don't want to send this back after it's all set-up with my stuff now.

Bruno2284 wrote:
So I got my new laptop this morning, Battery/Charger issue is gone, everything is going great until I started to load some games... Stupid intergraded card is taking priority on everything.

try installing beta drivers
try to disable integrated card
try to use the NVidia inspection software to manually override the game
try to set high performance as default
try to load game from NVidia experience

nothing works..... I have gotten ASUS ROG laptops for every one in my company since 2011 and I never seen anything like this. Please for the love god someone help me fix this, I really don't want to send this back after it's all set-up with my stuff now.

Bruno2284, you may be the guy perfect to pursue this with Asus, escalating as needed up through engineering / managerial to get the word to them you aren't happy / functional, and need a fix. File a detailed Technical Inquiry, and take it from there 🙂

You may also want to start similar technical requests through Intel and Nvidia, since the core problem is the interaction with Intel/Nvidia hardware/software outside the control of Asus, except to have decided to integrate that crap into our previously awesome laptops 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Bruno2284, you may be the guy perfect to pursue this with Asus, escalating as needed up through engineering / managerial to get the word to them you aren't happy / functional, and need a fix. File a detailed Technical Inquiry, and take it from there 🙂

You may also want to start similar technical requests through Intel and Nvidia, since the core problem is the interaction with Intel/Nvidia hardware/software outside the control of Asus, except to have decided to integrate that crap into our previously awesome laptops 🙂

Okay, After working all night on this thing I found out a couple of things. So I'm getting my games to work now, and the only way I could tell that it work is that I had to reinstall all the games after I change the NVidia to the Primary video card, after that the games started to follow the NVidia 3D settings on the control panel. Now my games are rocking with the exception of some few lags/bugs ( I think due to the beta driver). Lets see how this works for the next couple of weeks, I have 29 days to decided if I want to keep it or replace it for a MSI or Alienware.

Bruno2284 wrote:
Okay, After working all night on this thing I found out a couple of things. So I'm getting my games to work now, and the only way I could tell that it work is that I had to reinstall all the games after I change the NVidia to the Primary video card, after that the games started to follow the NVidia 3D settings on the control panel. Now my games are rocking with the exception of some few lags/bugs ( I think due to the beta driver). Lets see how this works for the next couple of weeks, I have 29 days to decided if I want to keep it or replace it for a MSI or Alienware.

Bruno2284, what a stroke of genius, reinstall after changing the environment variables that are used when installing / configuring during install - the app, OS, and video. That's a great discovery!

That is the key, these are new graphics chips, new drivers, and early days in tuning, so there is still a lot upside for performance and stability.

Remember, Optimus will follow you if you move to Alienware or MSI too 🙂