Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Hey HMscott,

Will do those tests, I'm now curious to see what happens. I must admit, I don't use the battery much, my G73's battery has been dead for years. I agree that the Optimus is more of a pain than gain but I can't really complain of it since it has been working for me so far.

Just tested my idle temp and it seems pretty reasonable. I'm in NYC - the room is moderately dry and 25C.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPU Idle Temp.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	36877

Tried to load this beast with Max Payne 3 and this is what I got:

Name:	CPU Load Temp.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	36879

The CPU is still low albeit the GPU is up to ~80C. This is probably not full load for the machine but it is still a demanding game on ultra settings. Not too bad. Too late now but will do proper tests later.
    Last edited by Hegemon; 05-22-2014 at 01:54 AM.

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by Hegemon View Post
    Hey HMscott,

Will do those tests, I'm now curious to see what happens. I must admit, I don't use the battery much, my G73's battery has been dead for years. I agree that the Optimus is more of a pain than gain but I can't really complain of it since it has been working for me so far.

Just tested my idle temp and it seems pretty reasonable. I'm in NYC - the room is moderately dry and 25C.

Name:	CPU Idle Temp.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	36877

Tried to load this beast with Max Payne 3 and this is what I got:

Name:	CPU Load Temp.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	36879

The CPU is still low albeit the GPU is up to ~80C. This is probably not full load for the machine but it is still a demanding game on ultra settings. Not too bad. Too late now but will do proper tests later.
    Hegemon, thanks for the data posts

A couple of observations. When HWinfo64 starts up you can click the Sensors Only check box, and it will give you a more detailed sensor display, with thermal throttling info. The Everest edition is very old, well past 2 aquisitions of the product, and looks like it is reading low as compared to HWinfo. Everest releases now as AIDA64 with several editions - I use Engineer Edition.

Here are my idle temps, I don't have Max Payne loaded on my JH, so I will have to dig that out for comparison later.

We have the same 25c ambient temperature. Here are my current idle temps:

Name:	g750jh hwinfo sensors only idle temp.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	36881

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    Bruno2284, you may be the guy perfect to pursue this with Asus, escalating as needed up through engineering / managerial to get the word to them you aren't happy / functional, and need a fix. File a detailed Technical Inquiry, and take it from there

You may also want to start similar technical requests through Intel and Nvidia, since the core problem is the interaction with Intel/Nvidia hardware/software outside the control of Asus, except to have decided to integrate that crap into our previously awesome laptops
    Okay, After working all night on this thing I found out a couple of things. So I'm getting my games to work now, and the only way I could tell that it work is that I had to reinstall all the games after I change the NVidia to the Primary video card, after that the games started to follow the NVidia 3D settings on the control panel. Now my games are rocking with the exception of some few lags/bugs ( I think due to the beta driver). Lets see how this works for the next couple of weeks, I have 29 days to decided if I want to keep it or replace it for a MSI or Alienware.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Hegemon View Post
    Just curious, are you running a WoW gold-farming operation or similar so that you got your employes gaming laptops

just kidding
    That's my side business!!!! keep it down.

But no, I work for a large company that has multiple Marketing/Graphic designer employees and they need the extra power, so they get ROG laptops.

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno2284 View Post
    Okay, After working all night on this thing I found out a couple of things. So I'm getting my games to work now, and the only way I could tell that it work is that I had to reinstall all the games after I change the NVidia to the Primary video card, after that the games started to follow the NVidia 3D settings on the control panel. Now my games are rocking with the exception of some few lags/bugs ( I think due to the beta driver). Lets see how this works for the next couple of weeks, I have 29 days to decided if I want to keep it or replace it for a MSI or Alienware.
    Bruno2284, what a stroke of genius, reinstall after changing the environment variables that are used when installing / configuring during install - the app, OS, and video. That's a great discovery!

That is the key, these are new graphics chips, new drivers, and early days in tuning, so there is still a lot upside for performance and stability.

Remember, Optimus will follow you if you move to Alienware or MSI too
    Last edited by hmscott; 05-22-2014 at 01:25 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Name:	9 min in thermal throttling.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	377.1 KB 
ID:	36884

My great temps while burning a bluray

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    Bruno2284, what a stroke of genius, reinstall after changing the environment variables that are used when installing / configuring during install - the app, OS, and video. That's a great discovery!

That is the key, these are new graphics chips, new drivers, and early days in tuning, so there is still a lot upside for performance and stability.

Remember, Optimus will follow you if you move to Alienware or MSI too
    Remember, with optimus, you need to install and run/launch the game at least once, before you can add it into optimus manual control. Once you run it, it should automatically add itself to the group. You can also use the geoexperience and search for games, then click auto global settings as well, but i believe you need to run the game at least once as well for that. I just launch it, make sure it gets to the menu, then exit the game.

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by dblkk View Post
    Remember, with optimus, you need to install and run/launch the game at least once, before you can add it into optimus manual control. Once you run it, it should automatically add itself to the group. You can also use the geoexperience and search for games, then click auto global settings as well, but i believe you need to run the game at least once as well for that. I just launch it, make sure it gets to the menu, then exit the game.
    dblkk, run first is recommended by Geforce Experience when it can't set optimized settings, but is that needed to set the Nvidia Performance settings for that app too? I have installed apps, and set the 3D Program settings right away and the never run game shows up in the list.

Geforce Experience won't optimize some games, saying "Unable to retrieve all current settings. Try restarting the game or changing the settings within the game first." - even after running and setting settings several times. I would imagine on an Optimus laptop you need to watch what it does -checking all the settings it is tweaking.

Maybe Bruno2284 has checked this out under Optimus?

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by dblkk View Post

Name:	9 min in thermal throttling.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	377.1 KB 
ID:	36884

My great temps while burning a bluray
    dblkk, damn that's hot! You are thermal throttling, you shouldn't be. Are you in the middle of the desert? Is it really hot there? What is the ambient temps? Your minimum temp shown is about 10c too high for idle.

Sorry to say it, but you should return or RMA that laptop, that is way too hot.

Yea this is my fourth laptop now. Talked to Asus to try and get a actual temp limit from them and they gave me some tips on like running trim and other stuff. Even though everything I sent them was involving temps, but w/e. I wish I was still in amazons return policy, think I'm like 3 maybe 4 weeks in now. Yes I can RMA, really don't feel like sending it in to get a refurbished laptop back. If they'd send a new one or mine fixed alright, but I take very good care of it and worried if I do send it in ill get a refurbished with scratches or something all over it.

As far as optimism every game/program I've run needed to be run first before I could even add it into the 3d settings.

Ambient temps are in my house should be around 60 Fahrenheit. I took temps on first boot, then first min of burning/rendering, 4 min in 10 min in and just randomly throughout the entire 3 hour process, temps pretty much identical the entire time. Been happening since I got it. Idle is high, with one tab open I'm at 10 percent CPU and 55-65c. Gaming gets me 75-80c CPU and 75 gpu. That's titanfall or cod on ultra.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast