cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD on G750JH

Goriar
Level 7
Hi !

My machine is a G750JH with an internal HDD 750GB.
I've also a macbook pro with a SSD ocz vertez 250GB.

I would like to have windows 8.1 on my SSD and the other HDD only for storage (data, programs, ecc).
How can i do this?

Please guide me 😞

I've listen about a hidden partition for recovery...
9 REPLIES 9

hmscott
Level 12
Goriar wrote:
Hi !

My machine is a G750JH with an internal HDD 750GB.
I've also a macbook pro with a SSD ocz vertez 250GB.

I would like to have windows 8.1 on my SSD and the other HDD only for storage (data, programs, ecc).
How can i do this?

Please guide me 😞

I've listen about a hidden partition for recovery...

Goriar, do you have a G750JH-DS73-CA ? I wish we had that config in the US, it makes the 780m much more accessible.

The first thing you want to do is to preserve your recovery partition by creating a 16GB USB 3.0 Flash recovery with Asus Backtracker (v3.0.4 newest). That will replace the recovery partition with an independent bootable media you can set aside and save, after using it to create the Asus OEM Windows install onto your new SSD boot drive.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8.1/Backtracker/Backtracker_Win81_64_VER304.zip

After making the Asus Backtracker Recovery Flash drive you will want to remove the HD from the Bay 1 position and set it aside until you are done installing the SSD in Bay 1, booting on the Recovery Flash Drive, and restoring Asus OEM WIndows to the SSD.

After booting on the new SSD, you can shutdown and install the HD back into Bay 2 - or, you can put the 750GB drive into an external USB 3.0 enclosure, and remove the heat, noise, and power draw of the HD from the laptop.

For extra credit, now that you have a recovery flash drive set aside, your new SSD doesn't need the recovery partition added to it, and you probably would like to merge the C/D partitions to get the largest possible C partition, so delete them if possible with the Windows Computer Managment => Disk Management. If you get an error, then the partition is protected, and you will need to use /override with diskpart - google it 🙂

That should do it 🙂

Let us know how you get along, and how it works out for you.

hmscott wrote:
Goriar, do you have a G750JH-DS73-CA ? I wish we had that config in the US, it makes the 780m much more accessible.

The first thing you want to do is to preserve your recovery partition by creating a 16GB USB 3.0 Flash recovery with Asus Backtracker (v3.0.4 newest). That will replace the recovery partition with an independent bootable media you can set aside and save, after using it to create the Asus OEM Windows install onto your new SSD boot drive.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8.1/Backtracker/Backtracker_Win81_64_VER304.zip

After making the Asus Backtracker Recovery Flash drive you will want to remove the HD from the Bay 1 position and set it aside until you are done installing the SSD in Bay 1, booting on the Recovery Flash Drive, and restoring Asus OEM WIndows to the SSD.

After booting on the new SSD, you can shutdown and install the HD back into Bay 2 - or, you can put the 750GB drive into an external USB 3.0 enclosure, and remove the heat, noise, and power draw of the HD from the laptop.

For extra credit, now that you have a recovery flash drive set aside, your new SSD doesn't need the recovery partition added to it, and you probably would like to merge the C/D partitions to get the largest possible C partition, so delete them if possible with the Windows Computer Managment => Disk Management. If you get an error, then the partition is protected, and you will need to use /override with diskpart - google it 🙂

That should do it 🙂

Let us know how you get along, and how it works out for you.

Your advice are wonderful, thanks.
But i'm not very good with this things, so... is there a step-by-step guide or a video-tutorial ?

Is this a helpful guide?

- Download and install ASUS Backtracker (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8/ASUSBacktracker/AsusBacktracker_Win8_64_VER200.zip)

- Connect a USB drive (HDD or Pendrive with minimum 15GB size)

- Run ASUS Backtracker and select the proper device (pay attention that all content will be erased, so use an empty one)

- When finished, shutdown the computer.

- Remove original HDD and insert ONLY SSD.

- Turn on pc with the USB drive connected

- the program will automatically recreate everithing like original state (Windows 8, apps and recovery partition).

Before you make anything of these step, you have to convert SSD disk to GPT partition (i'm not sure if ASUS Backtracker do it automatically so follow thi steps)

- connect SSD to any PC (internally or externally).

- under disk management select SSD (not the partitions but the entire SSD), right click onto it and convert to GPT.

Here example screenshot (i've already GPT disks, so mine screenshot is quite different) :

using 750GB HDD like Data drive

To do this, simply connect the HDD to any PC and follow these steps:

- Download and install Partition Wizard Home Edition (http://software-files-a.cnet.com/s/software/13/20/02/09/pwhe8.exe?ptype=3000&ontid=2094&siteId=4&edI...)

- when opened, select 750GB drive and delete all partitions

- click apply

- if you want, recreate partition from program, or from disk management

You need to use this (or other) partitioning program because Windows Disk management doesn't allow you to delete recovery and startup partition.

If you want to delete hidden recovery partition, keeping it only on a USB key, re-install ASUS Backtracker and select from it the "delete option" (it's a good idea if you bought a 128GB SSD, because hidden recover partition is around 20GB)

blah...

Goriar wrote:
Is this a helpful guide?

- Download and install ASUS Backtracker (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8/ASUSBacktracker/AsusBacktracker_Win8_64_VER200.zip)

- Connect a USB drive (HDD or Pendrive with minimum 15GB size)

- Run ASUS Backtracker and select the proper device (pay attention that all content will be erased, so use an empty one)

- When finished, shutdown the computer.

- Remove original HDD and insert ONLY SSD.

- Turn on pc with the USB drive connected

- the program will automatically recreate everithing like original state (Windows 8, apps and recovery partition).

Before you make anything of these step, you have to convert SSD disk to GPT partition (i'm not sure if ASUS Backtracker do it automatically so follow thi steps)

- connect SSD to any PC (internally or externally).

- under disk management select SSD (n

Goriar wrote:
Your advice are wonderful, thanks.
But i'm not very good with this things, so... is there a step-by-step guide or a video-tutorial ?

The Asus Backtracker has instructions, the laptop has a manual in many languages with info on removing the bottom panel for disk and memory work, and believe it or not, my response was the step by step - just in human worded non-numbered steps. 🙂

I think you can do it, it is just a matter of taking the info, and making the list based on what I gave you, and fill in the steps with instructions from the documentation. You can do it 🙂

Here are a couple of links for video, showing the removal of the bottom panel, and another of the disassembly of the whole laptop - you don't need to do it, but it will be instructive. And some links to deleting and recombining partitions - really everything you can google for yourself, if you know what you are looking for - which you now have!

G750 replace disk add memory
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=g750+replace+disk+add+memory

G750 disassembly
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=g750+disassembly

Windows delete a partition and extend volume with the space freed up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmPuFe-1tw0

In Windows 8.x you may run across no delete option in Disk Management GUI right click on partition. If that happens, you need to do the partition deletion from an Administrator CMD shell. Here is a short and to the point description on how to override the protection stopping the delete by using diskpart - delete partition override

http://andreagx.blogspot.com/2011/01/windows-7-delete-and-remove-locked.html

You probably want to watch and read a bunch of stuff before tackling it for yourself, and write up your own steps gathered from what you watch and read. It is the best way to really know it, rather than just doing steps that work for someone else with a different expertise pool - it makes a difference. I can give you the steps, but you have to spend some time learning how to hold the hammer 🙂

Goriar
Level 7

WarpKez2014
Level 7
I am looking at doing something similar, but reviewing the partitions of the system drive, which ones can be safely removed?
Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 System 300 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Recovery 900 MB 301 MB
Partition 3 Reserved 128 MB 1201 MB
Partition 4 Primary 372 GB 1329 MB
Partition 5 Recovery 450 MB 373 GB
Partition 6 Primary 537 GB 373 GB
Partition 7 Recovery 20 GB 911 GB

Partitions 4 and 6 I wish to merge, but they are separated by a 450MB partitions, and there is a 20GB partition at the end of the disk.

From what I can tell, 1 through 3 are required (System, EFI, and MSR), but are 5 and 7?

WarpKez2014 wrote:
I am looking at doing something similar, but reviewing the partitions of the system drive, which ones can be safely removed?
Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 System 300 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Recovery 900 MB 301 MB
Partition 3 Reserved 128 MB 1201 MB
Partition 4 Primary 372 GB 1329 MB
Partition 5 Recovery 450 MB 373 GB
Partition 6 Primary 537 GB 373 GB
Partition 7 Recovery 20 GB 911 GB

Partitions 4 and 6 I wish to merge, but they are separated by a 450MB partitions, and there is a 20GB partition at the end of the disk.

From what I can tell, 1 through 3 are required (System, EFI, and MSR), but are 5 and 7?

If you backup your recovery feature with Asus Backtracker onto a USB 3.0 16GB flash drive, and verify it boots and will work, you can delete your recovery feature - but not partition 2/recovery.

The Partition 1,2,3 need to remain. 2 is named recovery, but it's in front of the C partition and can't be absorbed, it isn't worth the effort to delete move and absorb - if someone wants to try it and document how to do it, I guess adding 1GB extra on my 237GB C drive might be nice.

Partitions 5,7 can be removed if you have backed up the recovery feature, and if you back up the data you have on the 6 partition, you can delete it and then absorb all the free space by extending partition 4. Now you have a maximized C partition 🙂

Partition 4 is your C partition, and Partition 6 is your D or F partition - depending on the disk mix/lettering. Partition 5