cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth it to upgrade to windows 8.1 yet?

Tom_Windschitl
Level 7
So i have had my G750 for a few months now and i have been putting off updating to 8.1 just in case any issues might need to be taken care of first. So to those who have upgraded to 8.1 have you had any issues? Is it worth it to upgrade?
30 REPLIES 30

chrsplmr
Level 18
Upgrade from ?
Win8.1 is awesome. imho and from what ive seen in the OC'ing results
it beats Win7 no doubt.

If you are asking specifically issues with the G, I don't have one, but have seen
none on the forum to speak of. .c.

chrsplmr wrote:
Upgrade from ?
Win8.1 is awesome. imho and from what ive seen in the OC'ing results
it beats Win7 no doubt.

If you are asking specifically issues with the G, I don't have one, but have seen
none on the forum to speak of. .c.

Yeah i am upgrading from windows 8, guess i didn't think to mention that 😛

Tom Windschitl wrote:
Yeah i am upgrading from windows 8, guess i didn't think to mention that 😛

Tom, if your question is, are the drivers ready yet, then yes they finally are adequate/stable 🙂

But, you need to download the newest drivers from the newest G750JM/JS/JZ download areas - Asus hasn't back-filled the new drivers into the JW/JX/JH download areas:

http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

The most important drivers to get installed before the Windows 8.1 upgrade, besides *all of them*, are the Nvidia BETA 337.50 driver and the latest Bluetooth driver package for your hardware - not having the BT driver update can cause boot/shutdown/reboot issues delaying action by 5-10 minutes. And, the 337.50 Nvidia driver is just the latest tested in forum Nvidia driver 🙂

What I would recommend is to do all the Windows 8.0 required/optional updates, then install all the new Windows 8.1 drivers, then do the Store upgrade to Windows 8.1, then do all the Windows 8.1 updates. It will take a while, but in the end having all the newest drivers will make it successful.

Let us know how it works out for you 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Tom, if your question is, are the drivers ready yet, then yes they finally are adequate/stable 🙂

But, you need to download the newest drivers from the newest G750JM/JS/JZ download areas - Asus hasn't back-filled the new drivers into the JW/JX/JH download areas:

http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

The most important drivers to get installed before the Windows 8.1 upgrade, besides *all of them*, are the Nvidia BETA 337.50 driver and the latest Bluetooth driver package for your hardware - not having the BT driver update can cause boot/shutdown/reboot issues delaying action by 5-10 minutes. And, the 337.50 Nvidia driver is just the latest tested in forum Nvidia driver 🙂

What I would recommend is to do all the Windows 8.0 required/optional updates, then install all the new Windows 8.1 drivers, then do the Store upgrade to Windows 8.1, then do all the Windows 8.1 updates. It will take a while, but in the end having all the newest drivers will make it successful.

Let us know how it works out for you 🙂

So to be clear i should download all the drivers from, in my case i have the JW model, from the JW downloads page. Then go to one of the new 750 models and download all those drivers as well then update to 8.1? I think thats how i understood it at least lol 😛

Tom Windschitl wrote:
So to be clear i should download all the drivers from, in my case i have the JW model, from the JW downloads page. Then go to one of the new 750 models and download all those drivers as well then update to 8.1? I think thats how i understood it at least lol 😛

Tom, that's very close 🙂

You want to make a list, perhaps have a tab open on JW and on JM, and on the laptop have the Programs and Features window open, then match what drivers you have installed - it tells you what hardware you have (along with Device Manager) - and then get the newest driver replacing the ones you have already installed with the newer version on the JM page. If it isn't on the JM page, try the JS/JZ page.

You can also search around on newer laptops that use the same hardware, or other groups focused on Notebook Audio, Notebook Bluetooth, etc.

That last suggestion is advanced, so for now you can focus on what is in the JM/JS/JZ download pages - the newer version there of what you have installed on your laptop (using the JW page as a reference too).

Make sense?

hmscott wrote:
Tom, that's very close 🙂

You want to make a list, perhaps have a tab open on JW and on JM, and on the laptop have the Programs and Features window open, then match what drivers you have installed - it tells you what hardware you have (along with Device Manager) - and then get the newest driver replacing the ones you have already installed with the newer version on the JM page. If it isn't on the JM page, try the JS/JZ page.

You can also search around on newer laptops that use the same hardware, or other groups focused on Notebook Audio, Notebook Bluetooth, etc.

That last suggestion is advanced, so for now you can focus on what is in the JM/JS/JZ download pages - the newer version there of what you have installed on your laptop (using the JW page as a reference too).

Make sense?

Well i guess i kinda got it done for me lol. I started the download for 8.1 then stopped it to start downloading drivers first. However i never got around to the drivers and forgot about the 8.1 download. So it downloaded without me knowing and when i restarted my PC it updated and well FUBAR'ed everything. Along with that i blindly went along with an action center notification that said my drive needed to be repaired, clicked repair and that caused me to loose alot of data on my hard drives. So i took it to the shop and they got it updated to 8.1 for me and recovered what was left of my data so my PC is all fresh and new(almost) again.

Tom Windschitl wrote:
Well i guess i kinda got it done for me lol. I started the download for 8.1 then stopped it to start downloading drivers first. However i never got around to the drivers and forgot about the 8.1 download. So it downloaded without me knowing and when i restarted my PC it updated and well FUBAR'ed everything. Along with that i blindly went along with an action center notification that said my drive needed to be repaired, clicked repair and that caused me to loose alot of data on my hard drives. So i took it to the shop and they got it updated to 8.1 for me and recovered what was left of my data so my PC is all fresh and new(almost) again.

Yipe!! That sucks, sorry to hear that - that is the the worst 8.1 upgrade story I have heard. 😞

Did they/you install all of the newest Windows 8.1 drivers from the JM/JS/JZ download areas?

That action center notification was something you couldn't ignore. There might have been disk corruption already, before the upgrade, and the upgrade make it worse. Doing a disk check before the upgrade should have caught that - I thought a disk check was part of the Upgrade.

Did they do a Windows 8 restore first to get back to the original OEM Asus out of the box install before going ahead with the 8.1 upgrade? Or did they do repairs from where you were after the upgrade?

hmscott wrote:
Yipe!! That sucks, sorry to hear that - that is the the worst 8.1 upgrade story I have heard. 😞

Did they/you install all of the newest Windows 8.1 drivers from the JM/JS/JZ download areas?

That action center notification was something you couldn't ignore. There might have been disk corruption already, before the upgrade, and the upgrade make it worse. Doing a disk check before the upgrade should have caught that - I thought a disk check was part of the Upgrade.

Did they do a Windows 8 restore first to get back to the original OEM Asus out of the box install before going ahead with the 8.1 upgrade? Or did they do repairs from where you were after the upgrade?

I'm honestly not sure. I'm thinking the later b/c the ROG logo is no longer the boot logo, its a windows 8 logo now. I know that the main problem though was the drive repair which effed up the boot sequence b/c it would load the ROG logo then go to a black screen.

Tom Windschitl wrote:
I'm honestly not sure. I'm thinking the later b/c the ROG logo is no longer the boot logo, its a windows 8 logo now. I know that the main problem though was the drive repair which effed up the boot sequence b/c it would load the ROG logo then go to a black screen.

Tom, darn I was afraid of that. You have a *******ized / standard Windows 8.1 install 😞

Can you post a snippet of the Storage Manager view of your disk partitions? I am hoping they didn't blow away your recovery partition.

The standard partitioning should look like Disk 0 in this image, sizes will be different, but the recovery partition should be the same size, 20GB:

Another thing to try would be to hit the Fn+F9 key immediately after powering up, and hit it until you got the restore recovery dialog.

Did you happen to make a recovery flash drive with Asus Backtracker? If you have that flash drive you can use it to do a recovery reinstall onto your boot drive of the original Asus OEM WIndows install, and then do the upgrade again, without the gotcha, and then be back to a good Asus install.

If you don't have that flash drive, and F9 doesn't let you restore ( they blew away your recovery capability ), you would need to find someone with that model G750 and build an Asus Backtracker recovery flash drive on their system to use to restore your system.

Given that you took this to someone else to fix for you, you could ask them to do it for you the right way this time, so you have the Asus build instead of a vanilla Windows 8.1 install.