cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Black Edition: RMA needed?

Zeist
Level 7
Greetings to everyone.

I just finished to build my new main rig and i fear my RIVBE is screwed beyond hope.
This is more or less the rig:
CPU:Intel Core i7 4960X - Speed:4499.0 MHz - Multi:45.0 - Bus:100.0 MHz
RAM:1199.8 MHz (1:18) - 16GB - 10-12-12-31-2T
(1 x Corsair Dominator Platinum Quad Channel DDR3 PC3-19200 C10 - Kit 16Gb)
MB:RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION - FW:0602 - Desktop
GPU1:NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Black
GPU2:NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Black
GPU3:NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Black
The cpu have been brought stable (or so i thought) at 4.5Ghz with vcore=1,32V following Raja guide for ivy bridge, the ram seemed to work fine and stable at 2400Mhz using the XMP profile.
After a small sequence of O.S. freezes the amount RAM at post decreased to 12 Gb.
Windows tool (HWinfo, CPU-Z, AI suite, Mem Tweak) read all four memory sticks correctly yet report only 12Gb.
To make it short i "lost" DIMM slot A1, on Bios i see it in "Abnormal" state.
Tests i did:
- I tried to change position to the 4 4Gb sticks: still slot A1 not working
- Tested two more quad channel kits (Corsair, Gskill): still slot A1 not working
- Removed ocz revo drive and tried sata ssd: still slot A1 not working
Obliviously all test have been done after going back to factory clocks and testing ram at 1333 and 1600mhz with 1,5v, clearing cmos countless times.
I need stability for intensive cuda workloads so i think i've been pretty conservative with voltage.
CPU, nvidia cards, chipset, and VRM are liquid cooled with EK waterblocks, xspc vario pump and two xspc 480 radiators.
Single cpu cores never goes over 73 degrees even under LinX massive 12 treads test, so i doubt it's have been a temp issue.

Did anyone experienced this "abnormal" state for DIMM slot?
What is dying in my rig? CPU or RIVBE board?
just a ram/mobo incompatibility? (i can hardly believe this is the issue)
I'm doomed to rebuild the whole box. 😞

Thanks
i7 4960X 4500 MHz vcore 1.32
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400MHz 16GB - 10-12-12-31-2T
Asus RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION Bios:0602
Asus GeForce GTX TITAN Black x 3 TriSLI
OCZ Revodrive 3 X2 Max Iops
2xWD 7200rpm green 2Tb
Evga 1300W G2
Corsair Obsidian 900D
6 REPLIES 6

Necrosan
Level 12
I would attempt to reseat your CPU. Maybe some of the pins correlating to the chips IMC are not making good contact.

If that does nothing for you it is probably time to RMA the board if there is no obvious debris/bent pins in the RAM/CPU sockets.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

meankeys
Level 13
My R4BE did the same thing RMA time 😞 - Will it boot with one stick of ram? mine would not only two sticks it would boot. I tried every thing still no go. does CPUZ report triple channel?. My board still preformed nice over 111514 realbench score on triple channel. Thats when I found out the board was defective.

Raja
Level 13
Try one DIMM at a time in the slots - ensure the correct slots are being used as well. Find which one will not POST. The IMC report abnormal if the DIM is unstable (memory timings and or voltages) or there is poor contact between CPU and socket (bent pin) of finally DRAM socket issue.

-Raja

meankeys
Level 13
Hi Raja
Thanks for the input. I did test with a second cpu and different memory kit. still I had no luck.

Zeist
Level 7
I've tried one stick (both gskill and corsair) on a single slot. It works with D1 slot. The faulty one, A1, make post cycle in an infinite loop with a long pause on q-code 53. Tonight i'll remove the CPU to check pins.
i7 4960X 4500 MHz vcore 1.32
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400MHz 16GB - 10-12-12-31-2T
Asus RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION Bios:0602
Asus GeForce GTX TITAN Black x 3 TriSLI
OCZ Revodrive 3 X2 Max Iops
2xWD 7200rpm green 2Tb
Evga 1300W G2
Corsair Obsidian 900D

Raja
Level 13
Yeah do that - at least you know which slot it is now. When the CPU is out of the socket, clear CMOS as well.