cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I download Files they are Corrupt

Retired
Not applicable
Every time I try to download a game installer or any direct download that is larger in size (1+ GB) there is about a 95% chance it becomes corrupt. I have tried all sorts of different online games. Most of the time its either the installer says its corrupt or windows CRC error. I have updated my built in Intel NIC to the latest driver and its still happening. I read somewhere that this is either a driver or NIC issue. They suggest getting a new one or wait for a patch. There are also a lot of options in the driver (never used an intel LAN adapter) so I don't know if I manually set them that might fix something. My marvel adapter on my Asus 3A32-MVP never had such issues. I have also reinstalled windows 7 and still same issues.

My PC specs are in the sig.
13 REPLIES 13

chrsplmr
Level 18
ShadowT..dont know if I said welcome to you...if not...WELCOME !!! Glad you could join us.

No Offense, but, You ran virus scan? HijackThis?
What Intel driver version are you using?
I never had any issues like this..and changed no settings in the driver.
Sounds like some worm or something.
(Some laugh at Microsoft Security Essentials..but, I dont--No Realtime--Just occasional scan.)
Best of Luck.c.

Retired
Not applicable
First of thank you for the welcome. This is a complete full format of my 1TB drive I doubt a virus or worm stayed on a drive written with 0's but technology can be weird like that. I tried installing some of the games before and after installing avg and malwarebytes both found no virus', trojans, or worms. Again it is only with large downloads usually anything 1GB+. There is a large chance that the file ends up being corrupted. Wish I had a spare nic to test I could probably pick one up cheap. Heck come to think of it it could be my router or something else that is buggy. I tested a particular large download on my laptop just now and it had a similar issue. I have excellent ping, signal, and internet speed. 40Mbps down 5Mbps up. I got to head off to work though so I will test some things later.

Driver is 16.5 straight form the intel website. This happened with the driver that came on the CD as well the one I downloaded.

chrsplmr
Level 18
take the router out of the mix...for a test..direct from the modem...

I wasnt sure if it was a fresh install or not..
could be the isp for that matter... too much junk on the line..

Cant really take it to another location very easy either....hmmmm.
let us know about the router...that would still leave the isp at question too..
maybe take the laptop to a different location..different isp....as a test.
If that is a fresh install, all virus software reports-clean, hijackThis?...
9 times out of 10...It is something in this, and look over installed programs..make
sure nothing slipped in there on ya...
then...you know the rest..hehe...router,isp.

There is alot of junk making its way to (win7/xp/vista) c:\users\[YourUserName]\AppData (You have to enable view in FolderOptions)\ Then check that folder content and the three folders in it, Local,LocalNow,Roaming for ANY exe's ....
also check all temp folders for exe's................... virus scans seldom find these.
We have all seen them..ie: the one that locks computer saying you have a virus (yea, them)...that is where
that is.... if you can get into safeMode..
This was a lil off topic...good info though... Some made a few thousand dollars last year fixing these..ehhehee..I wont say who.hehehe.

Im really thinking its not your setup....drivers, ect....but, love but, I could be wrong..thats why its called troubleshooting..its blind..lol.c.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
My 1st question would be what Brand and model of router are you using, Second Question is what speed are you connecting to the router at ie: 100 or 1000, and Last question is the Router getting hot during the download transfer. I don't think it's your machine/machines...but like you stated it's your router, some of them are good especially the ones with Open Source Firmware but there are ones like the Dlink DIR 655 that are absolute pieces of junk unless you get the Russian firmware, I personally know this router because for the first year I had it I couldn't use it and at a $145 I was greatly upset. Also another resource you could use to Identify the problem is DSL Reports site at http://www.dslreports.com/ it's worth a shot.

Retired
Not applicable
My router is a Motorola SBG6580 (at least I think I'm at work and this pic looks right) here.
My connection is (inside the LAN) 1Gbps full duplex. Download test from Florida (ME) to New York at ~50ping is 38-39Mbps basically slightly lower than the max speed so that is fine. I use speedtest.net . When downloading all the large files I am ranging from 4MB/s to 5MB/s. I get 2GB files in roughly 10 minutes. This router was given by the ISP (Brighthouse Networks) cause I think it creates some type of uplink downlink connection (they said its needed for their 40Mbps program). Else I was really enjoying my slightly old Linksys 310N.

Also my network is a little tricky... I have a phone modem and the motorola is the "second" modem/router. Meaning router/moden 2 is connected to phone modem 1. It has 4 ethernet ports and wifi. Connecting to the phone modem only is in a little (closet) in the laundry room I got some wires through the roof could get a direct line to my room but it will require me to do it tomorrow while no one is home.

Also before even making this post I would manually go to the local roaming and delete all files then I would restart the installer and files would populate then give an error about being corrupt. Will try hijack this if my router doesn't work. I'm hoping a simple restart of the router might help. The router uses channel bonding which I am not to familiar with. Might simply need a restart to fix it. Well I tried to cover everything you mentioned if my responses are delayed I am at work lol. So will try to keep checking and will test some things out tonight. Thanks again for the help.

Retired
Not applicable
I read on a different forum that I can call my ISP and request them to set the Motorola as a bridge and then use my Linksys as my primary wifi. I am considering this. Else will still try the above when I get home.

Retired
Not applicable
Good news is that my system is way more stable after bios update. However, even after a router reset my pc is still claiming corrupt files. Someone mentioned ram however I passed Prime 95 (something I was unable to do before bios update). Might call ISP tomorrow see if they have some ideas or can reset whatever remotely. Else I'm back to my LAN adapter.

Ferosin
Level 9
It would be helpful if you could list the name/model of all of your networking equipment and how/with what they are connected from the isps hardware in your home to your pc. The phone modem you speak of how does it connect to the motorola, the only WAN port it has is the coax connector, unless you are running some wierd config using a crossover cable. Who is your ISP and is the linksys connected to the motorola. The corrupted files could be coming from any number of sources bad cables, dropped packets, interference etc..

Retired
Not applicable
Well windows can't build a network map either... I made a crude drawing in paint sorry but best I can do to explain the setup. This WAS working before I had to upgrade my mobo which also has a different NIC card obviously. Its the built in Intel NIC using the intel driver I checked my cables yesterday one was "poor" quality so I switched it out now its good. Still no change. I know interference can effect physical cables but I feel that is the least likely also intel driver says signal and all its fancy convenient tests point to good integrity. So far my laptop and pc have shown this issue (tested pc more than laptop however). So I think its the ISP just conveniently screwing up when I get a new rig put together.