Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

I bought a G750JM from BestBuy. And I love it. Even though I did up the RAM, add a Blu-Ray burner and SSD.

I've had no major issues with it, but first thing I did was to make sure that I had all the current drivers and BIOS.

I've been playing BF4, TITANFALL and ESO for the most part and everything looks amazing and runs extremely well. I use the recomended settings from NVidia's GEForce Experience, which set everything on fairly high settings. Except for Neverwinter , which for some reason it can not make changes to the settings so I had to do it all manually.

I hope your experience is as good as mine has been.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Welcome to the community! I got the G750JS at launch and no problems so far. I was just like you in that I was deciding between the G750 and Lenovo Y50. Better cooling and graphics card got the best of me and no regrets. I also had the pleasant surprise of having almost 8 hours of battery life while at college. A complete win for me.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
    Be prepared for a Myriad of problems and lack of driver support. Good luck, we'll be here to help you though
    @pokerface - you need to take your pro alienware garbage rants and get off this forum. You are not welcome here. I've been reading your rants about Alienware garbage and even the moderators want you to leave.

i've owned 2 Asus gaming laptops (G74SX, and G750JH), and 2 dell XPS laptops. The dell xps's kept eating video cards, and cpu's. i've NEVER had any problems with either asus laptop. Even all of my desktops have high end gaming boards. Never one issue.

All Alienware laptops and desktops are is just an overpriced dell. (since dell owns alienware, that makes sense) you get nothing special for another 2 grand. It's the same thing as buying a ford focus and putting a Bentley badge on it. We all know how craptastic Dells are.

now, GTFO. Go over to the Alienware forums. i'm sure they will love you there. Nobody wants your "help"
    Desktop:
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI EXTREME
    RAM: 32gb Ballistix 1866 DDR3
    Chip: Intel Core i7 4770k OC'd Stable 4.8ghz
    Water Cooling: Corsair H110i
    Power: Corsair 1200i
    Video: Asus STRIX OC'd GTX 980
    Primary Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Pro 256gb SSD
    55" Vizio HD display
    Audio: Logitech Z5500
    File Server: Dell Poweredge r710 1.3TB Hard Drive Storage 128gb RAM
    Storage SAN #1: Dell Equallogic PS100e 14x 750gb SATA
    Storage SAN #2: Dell Equallogic PS5000V 16x 1TB SaS

ROG Enthusiast Array

I was going to buy my lappy from bestbuy as well but i got the same model for $175 less on newegg. (no tax lol) It shipped out this morning so hopefully will get it soon. I just feel so left behind as far as the new tech stuff its not even funny. I think i forgot more than i know right now. Plus all the new tech is using new terminology so that makes it even worse.

As far as giving my experience when it arrives, I will do my best.

I want to put an ssd in it before i get too far involved figuring that would be much easier. Any recommendations?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Phantzm View Post
    I bought a G750JM from BestBuy. And I love it. Even though I did up the RAM, add a Blu-Ray burner and SSD.

I've had no major issues with it, but first thing I did was to make sure that I had all the current drivers and BIOS.

I've been playing BF4, TITANFALL and ESO for the most part and everything looks amazing and runs extremely well. I use the recomended settings from NVidia's GEForce Experience, which set everything on fairly high settings. Except for Neverwinter , which for some reason it can not make changes to the settings so I had to do it all manually.

I hope your experience is as good as mine has been.
    Which SSD did you use? I know everyone talks about the Samsung EVO but im sure there are other ones just as good.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bgallodoro24 View Post
    Which SSD did you use? I know everyone talks about the Samsung EVO but im sure there are other ones just as good.
    The top and pretty much only ssd drives really worth it are Samsung 840 pro>cruicial m550>Samsung evo>intel 530. Maybe some more thrown in there but pretty much the newest and best in terms of performance.

Now price point, Samsung evo<intel 530<cruicial m550=Samsung pro

Quick note though, the Samsung evo offers blazing fast speeds at almost half the cost of the pro. Why/how, it uses its software bundled with the Samsung magician, which allows ram to be used as cache to significantly boost speeds. These work great for benchmarks and small file reads. Example being windows itself. So for pure speed and average user stuff the evo drive can get you up to 1tb for the price of the 500gb pro. Note about the pro, its just that damn awesome. Its read/write speeds almost match the evo, but its just straight drive. Software makes it even faster, but those 500mbps are pure drive speeds.

For the price though, the pro and m550 are about double per size as what the evo offers. Samsungs included ssd software make migration and the toolbox for using and maintaining the drive easy. Their software is a+ top notch, equal to paid versions of third party software.

But price/peroformance wise, nobody can touch the evo right now. that's why everyone recommends it. You can find drives $10-20 cheaper, but they wont be offering 550mpbs + read/write, probably 350-450. Plus throw in Samsung software and its just a done deal.

The pro is for people who want to render and transfer large files, and write a lot each day, its a tougher drive. But you pay for it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I have the 1TB Samsung EVO.
    ASUS G750JM+
    32GB RAM / SAMSUNG EVO 1TB SSD / 1TB HDD / BD-RW
    ESO / RIFT / NeverWinter / GuildWars 2 / Thief / NWN & NWN2 /
    TITANFALL / BF 2-4 / UT2004 / Q4 / Crysis 1~3 / Dead Space 1~3

That is the higher end SAMSUNG, and you will be more than happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgallodoro24 View Post
    What I would do though, is buy the SSD then use ASUS Backtracker to move the OS stuff to the SSD before doing anything else with it.
    You will need a 16Gb flash drive to store the Backtracker image onto, then swap the drives (keep the original one out for the time being) , insert the flash drive and hold the "ESC" key when powering up. Then choose the option to restore the system. Once done, go into the systems files and rename your SSD to something other than OS as the old drive will have that name as well. Then install the old drive and format it. I have all my videos, iTunes and other misc stuff on the HDD. The SSD has my games, adobe Photoshop, auto cad and some other utility stuff on it.

There is a step by step somewhere, but I think I got everything here.
    Last edited by Phantzm; 05-22-2014 at 08:11 PM.
    ASUS G750JM+
    32GB RAM / SAMSUNG EVO 1TB SSD / 1TB HDD / BD-RW
    ESO / RIFT / NeverWinter / GuildWars 2 / Thief / NWN & NWN2 /
    TITANFALL / BF 2-4 / UT2004 / Q4 / Crysis 1~3 / Dead Space 1~3

ROG Enthusiast Array

i just bought the flash drive from best buy an hour ago. I guess i need to go and order the ssd now. too bad i didnt do it when i got the lappy. Should i hold doing any customization before i put the ssd in or is it safe to start before it comes in?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast