cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-Express lane allocation on ASUS/TUF/ROG Z97 motherboards

X-ROG
Level 15
Due to the very limited PCI-Express lanes available from the Z97 chipset, you have to make some conscious choices on how you build your system and use the available lanes:

ROG:

TUF:

ASUS
12 REPLIES 12

Anders11
Level 7
And this ^ is exactly why the Ranger should be sold worldwide. As far as I know it's the only board that leaves a PCIex1 slot and takes the two M.2 lanes from the the PCIex4 slot. Most new boards that include SATA Express use the same lanes for both it and the M.2 slot - I need all those Intel SATA ports! Asmedia ports just don't cut it.

Grumpy_OLD_git
Level 7
im not expert on this, learning fast, but would it not be better on the Asus Maximus Gene VII to have an option for M.2 X2 and Mpcie either x1 or X2 and pcie X4_1 turned Off.

an sli user would still be able to add wifi card as example. the way the board is at the moment, with M2 on, Mpcie is useless. (will run bluetooth)
486 Dx2 running dos 6.2 and Windows 3.1

danjw
Level 10
Can you update this to add the Formula? It would be nice to know exactly how this is setup.

danjw wrote:
Can you update this to add the Formula? It would be nice to know exactly how this is setup.

I second this since I have been interested in getting a M7F.

Technatorium wrote:
I second this since I have been interested in getting a M7F.

Maybe they will do it on Thursday. 😉

danjw
Level 10
So, the M7F should be in consumer hands today. Either those that will-call for Newegg or pre-ordered and next day shipped it (or live near there facility). Either way, people will be getting these boards today. Can you please get the PCIe lane allocation information up today.

Thanks,

PhoneyVirus
Level 7
Tell you the truth the three PCIe x16 slot should of never been put on the board period, not only does it confuse the hell out of you, it's completely useless when you think about it.

PhoneyVirus
https://twitter.com/PhoneyVirus
https://phoneyvirus.wordpress.com/

Debating purchase yet, as apparently according to some, you cant sli, while the 3rd slot is active, as the 2nd slot drops to 4x. Please confirm?

danjw
Level 10
As far as the Formula, 3rd 16x v2 slot is on a different bus then the CPU's v3. So, I don't know how it could interfere with the cards on the PCIe v3 bus. That said, I haven't used on the the M7F boards, so anything is possible. If you look at the manual (it is available from the support tab on Asus's product page), it tells you any conflicts. That slot does share bandwidth with the SATAExpress_E1 port, the one hanging off the Asmedia controller. The M.2 port hangs off the mPCIe 1x port via the same card with the Wifi/Bluetooth module.