cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G750JM random reboots

pargyrak
Level 7
Hi,
I just picked up a G750JM last week and since that day I am having random reboots....

These reboots happen:

Sometimes it reboots when I connected a USB device (mouse/usb flash disk/usb disk)
Sometimes it reboot while playing a game (Wing Commander Saga)
Sometime when I move the screen!

The first reboot happened the first time I tried a game, I guess when the Nvidia kicked in.

Also sometimes after the reboot the screen was flickering and when I pressed a key to login the system rebooted again.
I thought it was overheating so I tried to GPU tweak to speed up the cooling. The system seemed more stable and managed to work on it for a few hours without reboot.

Any idea what could be the cause ? I guess hardware failure but today I managed to install windows 8.1 pro volume license edition on top of the original core and fully update it without any reboots.

All the drivers are up to date. WIndows 8.1 fully updated
2 REPLIES 2

Phantzm
Level 7
It's possible there was a software/driver conflict. If it seems to have resolved itself after updating then I doubt it was hardware as it would still cause problems if it was.

Give it a few more days and make it work hard , play something super CPU/GPU intensive and see what it does.

If you want to see what may have happened hit the windows key + W and type in "event" then choose "View Event Logs" or something similar. It will allow you to view any events that occurred. This may help you nail down the issue.

Good luck !!

Link to directions for event viewer: http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/win8/windows8-event-viewer.htm
ASUS G750JM+
32GB RAM / SAMSUNG EVO 1TB SSD / 1TB HDD / BD-RW
ESO / RIFT / NeverWinter / GuildWars 2 / Thief / NWN & NWN2 /
TITANFALL / BF 2-4 / UT2004 / Q4 / Crysis 1~3 / Dead Space 1~3

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Monitor the temps with an application such as HWiNFO. If they're reaching 90+ C, then the system may be rebooting from thermal overload. If the temps seem stable but you're still having the problem, there could be a hardware malfunction that's tripping the system, in which case it's best to send it in for service (or get an exchange if you're within the retailer/reseller's return policy period).

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!