cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Question] Do you guys know where to buy the Msata of this laptop G750JZ?

fernandez600
Level 7
Guys the title says it all... i want to know what kind and where can i get the mSATA of this laptop. :confused:
7 REPLIES 7

hmscott
Level 12
fernandez600 wrote:
Guys the title says it all... i want to know what kind and where can i get the mSATA of this laptop. :confused:

fernandez600, the G750JH/JZ laptops don't use mSATA, they use NGFF (next generation form factor) M.2 interface drives, and the JW/JX/JM/JS don't use them - they only have 2.5" drive bay's and 2.5" drives. Someone reported getting a JS with a M.2 NGFF 256GB drive on a 2.5" adapter - so you might find the M.2 drive in more G750's in the future.

Here is a thread with a bit more info:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39905-G750JH-DB71-Who-has-replaced-the-M.2-drives-with-larg...

hmscott wrote:
fernandez600, the G750JH/JZ laptops don't use mSATA, they use NGFF (next generation form factor) M.2 interface drives, and the JW/JX/JM/JS don't use them - they only have 2.5" drive bay's and 2.5" drives. Someone reported getting a JS with a M.2 NGFF 256GB drive on a 2.5" adapter - so you might find the M.2 drive in more G750's in the future.

Here is a thread with a bit more info:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39905-G750JH-DB71-Who-has-replaced-the-M.2-drives-with-larg...

Thanks hmscott... Replacement were expensive.
Then my second option would be replace with a regular SSD. I never thought it would be a lot of hassle if you want to put just a regular SSD in there.

fernandez600 wrote:
Thanks hmscott... Replacement were expensive.
Then my second option would be replace with a regular SSD. I never thought it would be a lot of hassle if you want to put just a regular SSD in there.

Do you have a JH or JZ with M.2 drives, or a JS with 1 M.2 drive? You didn't say what model G750 you have...

fernandez600
Level 7
I have a JZ with M.2 drives.

fernandez600 wrote:
I have a JZ with M.2 drives.

2 x 128GB, or 2 x 256GB?

Asus splits up the RAID0 into a bunch of partitions, you can backup the recovery partitions using Asus Backtracker, then you can delete the recovery partition, and the 2nd large partition - also named DATA on some configurations. Then you can extend the C partition with the now freed up space, and get 1 large C partition instead of 2 smaller partitions + recovery partitions. That might tide you over so that you don't need a new boot drive to get a larger C partition.

The RAID0 is 2x the speed in READ as a single 2.5" drive, I get over 1000MB/s READ and 600MB/s WRITE on my G750JH, so it is worth keeping the M.2 RAID0 🙂

fernandez600
Level 7
2 x 128GB...
Thank you for letting me know that. Asus have this weird RAID configurations on this laptop.
Respect

fernandez600 wrote:
2 x 128GB...
Thank you for letting me know that. Asus have this weird RAID configurations on this laptop.
Respect

fernandez600, there is a new Crucial M500 512GB M.2 SATA SSD series available for sale now:

Crucial M550 512GB SATA M.2 Type 2280 Internal Solid State Drive CT512M550SSD4
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-512GB-Internal-Solid-CT512M550SSD4/dp/B00ITFZTHC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qi...

Someone bought and installed successfully the earlier version, the Crucial 480GB M.2 SATA, so there is a good chance the new larger / faster version will also work.

Although I can't find it for sale there is supposed to be a Crucial M500 1TB M.2 SATA drive available as well.

The Crucial M.2 512GB is longer than the Sandisk M.2 SATA 128GB drive; I haven't seen the new Sandisk M.2 SATA 256GB drive, it also might be longer.

The guy that has the 480GB Crucial M.2 SATA SSD said it was longer and he needed to tape it down instead of using the retaining screw.

Let us know if you replace your 2 x 128GB M.2 SATA drives with something larger / faster 🙂