cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 on a G750JX ? and Power4Gear Hybrid issues

Shi974
Level 7
Hi everyone !
I'm not sure whether I can post here or whether this is the good place.

I'm french so sorry for the faulty English.
So I bought an Asus ROG (obviously otherwise I wouldn't be here 😄 ) G750JX a few weeks ago. I am on Windows 8 which is .... a big pain in the bottom for me. 😞 I was thinking of installing W7 on it but I thought maybe I could get used to it.
So last night, I installed the 8.1 update via the Windows Store, this morning I had to do the whole configuration again (and yeah, second confirmation : W8 is a real pain).
So I had some issues with this so called update and was put out. And then I discovered that my Power4Gear Hybrid shortcut (FN + space buttons) does not work on 8.1 ! :mad: I was seriously thinking about going back to Windows 7 so I found my old W7 installation DVD and searched for some info on how to 'downgrade' (or maybe should I say upgrade ? haha) from W8 to W7 (by the way, did not really understand that BIOS - UEFI thing but I suppose that my laptop has this UEFI protection thing and that I have to go through the process of "disabling" it ...).

So now I am hesitating between trying to fix the Power4Gear Hybrid shortcut (which is the cherry on top of the cake for me) and try to get used to 8.1 (and curse every future things that will annoy me on 8/8.1) ... or go back to W7 and waste a lot of time trying to reinstall the numerous and countless drivers my G750JX has (and some softwares but fortunately, my games and most important softwares are installed on my D drive and not the C one) ... (but the driver part is really THE big problem for me here ...)

So .... Anyone with the same problems who can help me by any chance ? I'll take any wise advice here O:-) Please 🙂

(And I am sorry if this is not the place to post this.)
Asus ROG G750JX
4 REPLIES 4

hmscott
Level 12
Shi974 wrote:
Hi everyone !
I'm not sure whether I can post here or whether this is the good place.

I'm french so sorry for the faulty English.
So I bought an Asus ROG (obviously otherwise I wouldn't be here 😄 ) G750JX a few weeks ago. I am on Windows 8 which is .... a big pain in the bottom for me. 😞 I was thinking of installing W7 on it but I thought maybe I could get used to it.
So last night, I installed the 8.1 update via the Windows Store, this morning I had to do the whole configuration again (and yeah, second confirmation : W8 is a real pain).
So I had some issues with this so called update and was put out. And then I discovered that my Power4Gear Hybrid shortcut (FN + space buttons) does not work on 8.1 ! :mad: I was seriously thinking about going back to Windows 7 so I found my old W7 installation DVD and searched for some info on how to 'downgrade' (or maybe should I say upgrade ? haha) from W8 to W7 (by the way, did not really understand that BIOS - UEFI thing but I suppose that my laptop has this UEFI protection thing and that I have to go through the process of "disabling" it ...).

So now I am hesitating between trying to fix the Power4Gear Hybrid shortcut (which is the cherry on top of the cake for me) and try to get used to 8.1 (and curse every future things that will annoy me on 8/8.1) ... or go back to W7 and waste a lot of time trying to reinstall the numerous and countless drivers my G750JX has (and some softwares but fortunately, my games and most important softwares are installed on my D drive and not the C one) ... (but the driver part is really THE big problem for me here ...)

So .... Anyone with the same problems who can help me by any chance ? I'll take any wise advice here O:-) Please 🙂

(And I am sorry if this is not the place to post this.)

Shi974, you need to update all the Asus programs and Windows drivers for WIndows 8.1. Go to the G750JM download area and download the drivers / apps you already have on your G750JX - the JM download area has the latest updates for G750's - the JX download area hasn't been updated by Asus.

http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

Use the app/driver package list provided by the control panel Programs and Features to find out what driver packages you need - check the name in the list and the version number you have installed against what is in the JM/JS/JZ download areas.

Did you do WIndows Updates after doing the Windows 8.1 upgrade from the Store? There are quite a few more updates that came after the WIndows 8.1 upgrade 🙂

And, just so you know, I uninstall Asus Splendid and Asus Power4Gear on my G750JH, as I find they aren't helpful 🙂

Let us know how it works for you!

Shi974
Level 7
Wow, thanks for your quick answer hmscott !
Well I have the Asus Live update but after checking it says that there is no new update ... (well I doubt the usefulness of this software) I'm going to check the G750JM area then 🙂

No I did not check for more updates since I am so bored with this Windows 8 thing 😕 But I'm trying to get used to it ... this said I'll check for updates too ahah

Oh alright, I always thought Power4Gear Hybrid was useful ... I thought it activated some kind of turbo mode for playing games ... Well if you say that it is not the case, I don't see its utility anymore ... 😕

Well, thanks again for your quick answer 😉 and I am going to check all this 🙂
Asus ROG G750JX

Shi974 wrote:
Wow, thanks for your quick answer hmscott !
Well I have the Asus Live update but after checking it says that there is no new update ... (well I doubt the usefulness of this software) I'm going to check the G750JM area then 🙂

No I did not check for more updates since I am so bored with this Windows 8 thing 😕 But I'm trying to get used to it ... this said I'll check for updates too ahah

Oh alright, I always thought Power4Gear Hybrid was useful ... I thought it activated some kind of turbo mode for playing games ... Well if you say that it is not the case, I don't see its utility anymore ... 😕

Well, thanks again for your quick answer 😉 and I am going to check all this 🙂

Shi974, Live Update can be ignored and/or uninstalled too 🙂

P4G doesn't do anything except for force it's Power Plans into service over manual selections. I use WIndows Balanced Power plan normally and only use the High Performance plan for benchmarking. The only real difference is the Min/Max CPU setting, which on Balanced I set to 0%/100% and on High Performance I set to 100%/100%.

The MAX CPU 100% enables Turbo, and setting it to 99% disables Turbo.

If you had come on and asked the forum how to upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8, we would have recommended doing the Windows 8.0 updates, and Windows 8.1 driver updates before doing the Windows 8.1 upgrade.

hmscott wrote:
The only real difference is the Min/Max CPU setting, which on Balanced I set to 0%/100% and on High Performance I set to 100%/100%.

The MAX CPU 100% enables Turbo, and setting it to 99% disables Turbo.

This is really enlightening ! Thank you ! I was sure it was useful since it was on all Asus computers I had ... Well indeed, it is useless and so ... I can play on the Windows balanced mode (normal use in French) since the max CPU setting is 100% 🙂
I'm pretty sure I have to uninstall a lot of Asus's softwares -___-

Well I wish I knew this forum before ! Halas ! You know how it is, you only look for forums once you already had the problem -.-
An if I knew I would have never switched to 8.1 ... Now I have to update pretty much everything u_u
Asus ROG G750JX