Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Maximus VI and Haswell refresh?

Hello guys!
    I have a Maximus VI Gene with an Intel Core i5 4670 but I want to overclock something very strong and powerful and I'm thinking about the new Haswell Refresh i7-4790K that can reach 5GHz simply (maybe) but I don't want to change my motherboard so I have already update the bios with this:

MAXIMUS VI GENE BIOS 1402
    1. Improve system stability.
    2. Support New 4th-Generation Intel Core Processors
    3. Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first update the BIOS using USB BIOS flashback, or download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using it.

In the second point it says that with this BIOS' version I can use the i7-4790k too, right?
    Thanks for the answers.
    [IMG]

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Refresh yes with that being the Non K series that are out now, the K series refresh is called Devils Canyon and there is not 100% answer so far with some site claiming it will work in Z87 and some blatantly saying it will not and now the newest rumour is they are not arriving till Sep after a paper launch on June 2nd and will be 4.1GHZ not 4.0GHa Base Clock.

To add insult to injury, the newer Broadwell may not work on it as well. Damn shame really. I guess I will have to wait until the VII IMPACT arrives.

I do not like any of the current Z97'sand there is to be no extreme and I bet the Formula is not same old ATX size meaning top GPU slot gets blocked by big coolers.

The Z68ROG was E-ATX.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I've been following this topic about as religiously as possible since the Devil's Canyon announcement in March......

After perusing roughly 100 different articles in this time, my best guess based off available info :

1. Haswell Refresh CPUs (these are exclusively the batch released in May) MAY work in Z87 boards with a BIOS update.

2. Devil's Canyon CPUs (the CPUs being released in June) most likely will NOT work with Z87. Ditto for Broadwell CPUs when they arrive. I've seen speculation that the power management features that they moved off the MB and onto the CPU with Haswell, they have put back onto the MB with Z97......and DC is probably the first batch to have the functions removed from the CPU, hence the different designation than Haswell Refresh. Again, this is ONLY SPECULATION at this point! But it makes sense to me.....and would explain why DC would be incompatible with Z87.

We'll all know more in about a week anyway, hang in there!

Beta Bios 1504

MAXIMUS VI EXTREME BIOS 1504
    Enhance compatibility for new Anniversary Edition and Devil's Canyon CPU.
    Note: Must apply the attached BIOS updater tool first before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors.

http://support.asus.com/download.asp...Uwd8jU6IXIucrj

ROG Enthusiast Array

Oh guys this is wonderful. So I can stay with my VI Gene until the new Broadwell or something else. Thanks for the information!
    [IMG]

New ROGer Array

So in order to use the 4790K on Maximus VI Formula I have to update my BIOS.
    I currently have no processor, so when I buy that one, will I be able to update my BIOS using it? (or without any processor at all), or do I have to get another processor that is compatible with my current BIOS version in order to do the update?

I am not 100% sure if you can Flash a normal Bios without a CPU /Memory only the Bios Flashback function.

Look up it on the Asus site or manual for Mobo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast