cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phoebus gets really warm

Dicehunter
Level 10
Is it normal for the card to get warm ?

I have it in the top slot with a good amount of space in between it and the GPU, I have 3 fans blowing in from the front so airflow isn't an issue, Pic below -

5 REPLIES 5

Seraphim85
Level 7
My guess would be the heat coming off your Matrix. Remember a good portion of the thermal dissipation from these types of cards goes directly into the case. Yes you have cross air flow from the front however it is all rising towards that rear exhaust fan. Especially if your radiator fans are in-taking instead of exhaust you're causing an air wall right around the top of that card. A good way to test this, since you have an AIO cpu cooler, is to lay the case on its side without the side panel. To correct it if you don't already have it get a side panel fan.

If the card is still running "hot" when you lay it on it's side you could look at putting a meter on that power cable to make sure it isn't putting out too much juice.

Seraphim85 wrote:
My guess would be the heat coming off your Matrix. Remember a good portion of the thermal dissipation from these types of cards goes directly into the case. Yes you have cross air flow from the front however it is all rising towards that rear exhaust fan. Especially if your radiator fans are in-taking instead of exhaust you're causing an air wall right around the top of that card. A good way to test this, since you have an AIO cpu cooler, is to lay the case on its side without the side panel. To correct it if you don't already have it get a side panel fan.

If the card is still running "hot" when you lay it on it's side you could look at putting a meter on that power cable to make sure it isn't putting out too much juice.

Thanks for the reply, All my radiator fans are exhausting so it's not that, Guess I'll just swap the GPU and soundcard positions around, Shame really as I love the look of the current config, But temps are more important ! 🙂

Thirteenth
Level 7
My phoebus is warm to, very warm on hot days (I don't have AC in my room). I think it's normal considering sound card doesn't have fan like GPU.

Karimento
Level 7
Do what i did and install extra fan to blow cool air directly to the sound card.
I had the same issue with two different sound cards.

Florin
Level 7
Had in the past a Creative card, it was getting hot also, now the Phoebus is even hotter but is right next to my Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X card .. they both are getting pretty hot but the GPU doesn`t exceeds 72-75°C so .. i guess i have nothing to worry about the sound card.
i7-4790k + Corsair H80i | Asus Maximus VII Ranger | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866 | Sapphire R9-290 OC Vapor-X 4GB | Asus Xonar Phoebus + Audio Technica M50 | 1xSSD Corsair 120 GB | 4x1 TB Seagate HDD | Corsair CX750M | Corsair Carbide 300R | Razer Taipan + Logitech G11 | Windows 10 64bit