cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The definitive answer on Warranty

simonpieman
Level 7
Hello Everyone...

I am new to the world of ASUS... Actually, I haven't bought one yet.

Having had a go on a colleague's G750 with all the bells and whistles recently, I am very impressed.

However, I do not have the funds to go the whole hog and wanted to go for a lower spec G750
and put my own SSD drive in.

Can anyone confirm whether I would void my warranty if I put an SSD in it ?

I posed the question to ASUS UK support yesterday and they said the warranty would be void.

Does anyone know if that is in fact true. If it is, then I will go elsewhere.

Many thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

Phantzm
Level 7
No, it will not void your warranty. There is a removable panel on the bottom that covers the 2 drive bays and the second set or RAM slots. You can remove the drive and swap it, add more RAM and change out the optical drive without voiding the warranty.
ASUS G750JM+
32GB RAM / SAMSUNG EVO 1TB SSD / 1TB HDD / BD-RW
ESO / RIFT / NeverWinter / GuildWars 2 / Thief / NWN & NWN2 /
TITANFALL / BF 2-4 / UT2004 / Q4 / Crysis 1~3 / Dead Space 1~3

simonpieman
Level 7
Well the technical support guy I spoke to seemed quite sure it would void the warranty.

Seems a bit stupid really.. If end users rely on people like that, Asus would surely lose business.

It's not like I wanted to dismantle the laptop... Just want to add a drive and save some money !

Scionyde
Level 7
I don't own a G750 yet, but I'd imagine there's a warranty sticker somewhere on there, mentioning that if it gets removed, the warranty is void? As long as that sticker doesn't get broken, you could always hold onto the old HDD in case you need to return it.

Well my friend's one did not have any sticker on the bottom... What I wanted to do, was to install the SSD and have the supplied hard drive as my secondary drive.

Does anyone know if the machine is supplied with a spare caddy in the second drive bay or would I need to buy another one ?

Phantzm
Level 7
Mine had a spare caddy in the second HDD spot, I am sure they all "SHOULD" have one. It will not void your warranty if you swap out the drives. Either the tech was confused as to what you were asking or still hungover from the night before.

There is a little rubber plug covering a screw that you unscrew (do not remove it as it is attached to the cover) to remove the bottom cover. You can use the rubber plug to pull the cover off or pry it with an old credit card or similar if you are wary of pulling the rubber piece off (I pulled mine quite hard and it did not detach).
ASUS G750JM+
32GB RAM / SAMSUNG EVO 1TB SSD / 1TB HDD / BD-RW
ESO / RIFT / NeverWinter / GuildWars 2 / Thief / NWN & NWN2 /
TITANFALL / BF 2-4 / UT2004 / Q4 / Crysis 1~3 / Dead Space 1~3

simonpieman
Level 7
I am definitely swaying towards buying one now....

What I might do is run it for a few weeks to make sure it is all ok, then do the upgrade.

simonpieman wrote:
I am definitely swaying towards buying one now....

What I might do is run it for a few weeks to make sure it is all ok, then do the upgrade.

simonpieman, that's a good idea, make sure infant mortality is past before making changes of your own 🙂

It is disappointing to blast into an upgrade first thing on new hardware only to have to back it all out and ship the box in for RMA; been there done that; a little pile of parts waits the return 🙂

Also, regional differences do come into play, but afaik Asus provides an emtpy caddy to accept a new drive in all G750's with only 1 drive, and the bottom access panel doesn't have a warranty sticker on it, and the manual has user service instructions on how to install memory and disks.

If you pull the top/keyboard/screen to get at the 2 top memory slots you void warranty, but the 1 screw easy open panel is there to provide user access.

You can confirm by creating a login for your friend, and registering his laptop here - then file a Technical Inquiry confirming you can access the disks/memory on the bottom access panel without voiding the warranty:
http://vip.asus.com

Let us know how it works out 🙂

hmscott wrote:
simonpieman, that's a good idea, make sure infant mortality is past before making changes of your own 🙂

It is disappointing to blast into an upgrade first thing on new hardware only to have to back it all out and ship the box in for RMA; been there done that; a little pile of parts waits the return 🙂

Also, regional differences do come into play, but afaik Asus provides an emtpy caddy to accept a new drive in all G750's with only 1 drive, and the bottom access panel doesn't have a warranty sticker on it, and the manual has user service instructions on how to install memory and disks.

If you pull the top/keyboard/screen to get at the 2 top memory slots you void warranty, but the 1 screw easy open panel is there to provide user access.

You can confirm by creating a login for your friend, and registering his laptop here - then file a Technical Inquiry confirming you can access the disks/memory on the bottom access panel without voiding the warranty:
http://vip.asus.com

Let us know how it works out 🙂

Thanks for the heads up with regard to the Technical Enquiry... Sounds like a great idea.

When I looked at my friend's machine on Friday, I looked at the bottom panel and saw there was no warranty sticker. So I was slightly confused by the technical support guy.

Im glad I came on here to find out... I had pretty much dismissed buying the ASUS as not having an SSD drive is a complete no no...

Why manufacturers do not ship all their laptops with an SSD drive escapes me. The prices are dropping all the time and make the machine much more responsive / reliable.

Incidentally, what SSD would you guys recommend to put in. i would be looking at either a 256GB / 512GB depending on the model / price ? I currently run a Crucial M4 in both my desktop / laptop and they have both been really quick. Would a Samsung EVO 840 or Crucial M500 be any good ?

Thanks.

Simon

simonpieman wrote:
Thanks for the heads up with regard to the Technical Enquiry... Sounds like a great idea.

When I looked at my friend's machine on Friday, I looked at the bottom panel and saw there was no warranty sticker. So I was slightly confused by the technical support guy.

Im glad I came on here to find out... I had pretty much dismissed buying the ASUS as not having an SSD drive is a complete no no...

Why manufacturers do not ship all their laptops with an SSD drive escapes me. The prices are dropping all the time and make the machine much more responsive / reliable.

Incidentally, what SSD would you guys recommend to put in. i would be looking at either a 256GB / 512GB depending on the model / price ? I currently run a Crucial M4 in both my desktop / laptop and they have both been really quick. Would a Samsung EVO 840 or Crucial M500 be any good ?

Thanks.

Simon

simonpieman, if you are a Crucial fan, there is no reason to not continue, now that the M550 is out - which competes nicely with the Samsung Pro and Evo. At the time I got my JW the best / fastest at the time - the Samsung Pro 840 512GB went on sale at a local store, so I went with that.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7864/crucial-m550-review-128gb-256gb-512gb-and-1tb-models-tested

Performance comparisons
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7864/crucial-m550-review-128gb-256gb-512gb-and-1tb-models-tested/7

I am looking at the Crucial M550 M.2 NGFF 512GB drive for a 2 x 512GB RAID0 in the JH/JZ, but not until I find them on sale 🙂

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-512GB-Internal-Solid-CT512M550SSD4/dp/B00ITFZTHC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qi...

I am still running a Crucial C300 256GB in a desktop, it still ultra fast even after many years of power on service. It has been most reliable.