cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Black Edition - Multiplier Won't Go Above x34

topnotch
Level 7
The BIOS says that turbo is 4500, but CPU Z, Real Temp, OCCT all indicate x35, even under 100% load. This is the second processor and motherboard - both exhibiting the same behavior.

I am running a 4930K, 16GB G.Skill, 780Ti, Antec HCP-1000.
11 REPLIES 11

Raja
Level 13
1) Make sure the CPU is not throttling due to being too hot.

2) Use the latest UEFI build.

3) If 1&2 are not helping, make sure CPU-Z is the latest version as well.

I don't think there is a temperature issue. I'm running the latest BIOS 0602. CPU Z is 1.69.2, Real Temp 3.70, AIDA64 4.30.2900, OCCT 4.40; they all indicate the same.

I'm going to try and run at stock to see if it ramps up to 3.9GHz. If that works, then I will disable thermal monitoring and anti surge support and enable extreme OV.

If non of that works, I will switch to BIOS 2, which I think is 0507.

abvolt
Level 11
0602 never worked for me either it would just freeze while in bios..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

Raja
Level 13
0602 works fine for me here and no Turbo issues. Two boards and CPUs suggest some kind of OS or setup issue.

None of the settings you mention affect the turbo ratios. Might be worth listing everything you have changed in UEFI, whether this is a fresh OS install and or if you have changed any of the power options in the OS.

Also check your board is showing an ME version in the main screen. That's the only other thing that would affect the turbo ratios not working - if the ME is corrupt.

Menthol
Level 14
Raja,
And if your board shows no MEI version, will a bios flash fix that

Raja
Level 13
Will need to flash one BIOS chip to the other or need a programmer. This situation does not happen often on X79 if at all so I doubt its that. Two boards and CPUs wreaks of some kind of user config issue.

jeepcoma
Level 10
Also, some of the virtulization options in the BIOS cause incorrect reporting for all programs in Windows, but do not actually affect the operation. Have you had a chance to compare any benchmarks? That would help narrow down whether it's A) correctly going into Turbo, but incorrectly reporting or B) incorrectly going into Turbo and correctly reporting.

I would also check that your power profile is set to High Performance and that the max CPU speed is 100%. I know Balanced mode will eventually let the CPU reach max turbo given enough load for enough duration, but Power Saver, I think, prevents any turbo at all (I could be wrong). Some program installs like to futz with your power setting and the parameters too so it's worth checking.
Rampage IV Black Edition | 4960X 4.5 GHz x6 @ ~1.232V | 64 GB 2133 1.5V @ Stock XMP
2x Crossfire Matrix Platinum 7970s @ Stock | AX1200i | H100i | Corsair Link Commander
1 TB EVO | 3 TB WD Red | CoolerMaster Cosmos II

Thanks for all of your responses.

I just loaded stock settings in both BIOS 1 and BIOS 2, 0602 and 0507, respectively. There was no change, no turbo. Please see the attached screenshot.

What is a ME version and where do I look.

I am running Windows 8, High Performance Power settings, no sleep, hibernation, everything is set to 100 percent.

Benchmarks show that the displayed multiplier is correct. I can achieve 4.250GHz at 34X125 - much better benchmarks - actual setting is 35X125.

Could this be a Windows 8 issue?

I used to have a Rampage IV Extreme, and it worked perfectly.