Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Zchivago View Post
    If you unplug your webcam, you can still use your PC.

Z
    You are very nearly 1 whole year late with that joke. Say it again in one month, but change your avatar to a slowpoke face.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Lenovo Thinkpad T410
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair V Formula - Z
    ProcessorAMD FX 9590
    Memory (part number)BLE2KIT8G3D1869DE1TX0 (8-8-8-24, 1866 MHz)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS R9 390 STRIX (OC, GAMING)
    Storage #1SG Constellation 6 TB (6x1 TB) RAID 0
    Storage #2SG Constellation 2 TB (2x2 TB) RAID 1
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseCaseLabs STH-10
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    Mouse Microsoft Sidewinder X5
    Headset Logitech G930
    Mouse Pad Perixx 900x440x3 mm + Steelseries 320x270x3 mm + ALLSOP hard pad
    Headset/Speakers Logitech G930/Altec Lansing 5.1
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)

Quote Originally Posted by Antronman View Post
    Why do you think you don't see as many electric car sales? Because the Tesla S is a pricey *****. Hybrids are currently considered the #1 mass consumer solution, because the electric motor costs less to make (because it doesn't need to be as powerful or efficient).
    Electric motors are VASTLY more efficient AND more powerful watt-for-watt than an internal combustion motor. The electric motor directly converts electric energy to mechanical energy (internal combustion motors have to convert chemical energy and lose 95% of their efficiency as heat).

The point: The cost of the electric car - even with its ~5000% greater efficiency - is offset by the $10,000 battery and the fact that the technology, while not new, is largely untested in automobiles (compared to the internal combustion engine). This is not unlike the cost of that brand new Titan GPU which becomes so devalued in 6 months that it's taken off the shelves instead of sold at a fraction of its original cost, and you're also paying for hype.

Z
    Resistance is futile (at <1 Ohm).

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Lenovo Thinkpad T410
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair V Formula - Z
    ProcessorAMD FX 9590
    Memory (part number)BLE2KIT8G3D1869DE1TX0 (8-8-8-24, 1866 MHz)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS R9 390 STRIX (OC, GAMING)
    Storage #1SG Constellation 6 TB (6x1 TB) RAID 0
    Storage #2SG Constellation 2 TB (2x2 TB) RAID 1
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseCaseLabs STH-10
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    Mouse Microsoft Sidewinder X5
    Headset Logitech G930
    Mouse Pad Perixx 900x440x3 mm + Steelseries 320x270x3 mm + ALLSOP hard pad
    Headset/Speakers Logitech G930/Altec Lansing 5.1
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
    You are very nearly 1 whole year late with that joke. Say it again in one month, but change your avatar to a slowpoke face.
    Haha!! I am also not a console gamer, and my attention span is a little longer.

Z
    Resistance is futile (at <1 Ohm).

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

New info from PC Gamer website

Quote:

The overall demand for PC hardware may be in decline but the market for gaming specific hardware is actually doing quite well, according to a new Jon Peddie Research report (via MCV). The firm pegged the total worldwide market value of PC gaming hardware at more than $21.5 billion, and predicted that it will grow significantly over the next three years.

What exactly the PC and console markets entail within the context of the JPR report isn't made clear, although on the PC side of the coin it includes "computers, upgrades and peripherals used for gaming." What is clear is that the arrival of the next generation of game consoles hasn't had much of an impact on the momentum of the PC, nor is it likely to in the future—not because the demand for home computers is growing—it's not—but because dedicated PC gamers are pouring more and more money into their rigs.

"We continue to see a shift in casual console customers moving to mobile," JPR Senior Analyst Ted Pollak said. "While this is also occurring in the lower-end PC gaming world, more money is being directed to mid- and high-range builds and upgrades by gamers."

He described "committed PC gamers" as power users who aren't interested in "pure content consumption platforms," which I'm assuming is a fancy way of saying "game consoles." Instead, they pay big bucks for hardware that will let them play at very high settings as well as perform other tasks, like video editing, content creation and arguing on internet forums, "with maximum horsepower at their disposal in a desktop ergonomic environment."

The report predicts that the PC gaming market will grow to to more than $23 billion by 2017, driven by the availability of increasingly powerful hardware that allows PCs to do things that consoles cannot. JPR President Jon Peddie noted that 4K gaming is already a reality for "highest-end" systems and said that even mass-market machines can now push 2560x1440 resolution, well beyond the 1080p resolution (1920x1080) offered by the latest consoles.

New ROGer Array

I find it hard to believe that you would think pc is dying off as a gaming platform.

Especially when you see stuff like eSports taking off League of Legends World championships had a higher viewing than the superbowl last year. While you might not be familliar with the super bowl its basically the biggest live sports event in the united states, so I guess its kinda like the world cup? I dont know im 'merican so I dont watch the world cup.

To me thats huge to see an era of online games taking precidence over a major merican sporting event.

Next if you look to consoles you will quickly see that they are actually becoming more like a PC with every Next Gen system that comes out. Yes PC
    s will lose out on some stuff like console exclusives and what not at initial launch. However they usually make it to the PC within a week or so. If you do a brief history of gaming you will see that gaming started out on cards and boards. It made a jump to pc and had a bumpy start with many things hit or miss. However it stayed consistant enough to eventually take off and turn into what we see today.

Now you can't say that you can do everything a console can do on a pc. Since more often than not they have different architecture however the most recent consoles actually share many standard pc grade parts. You can actually get the same gfx cards and processors that both the ps4 and xbone use for your pc.

However you cant say that you can do everything a pc can on a console either.

So it begs the question of what makes YOU believe that pc is dying out? I mean in all reality everything is a phase that people go through. Some people like video games, some people like making movies. Some people just like to mess around.

However the best thing to note is that while something might die for you. There are many new people that will fill in your stead. Its like most MMORPGS in a way. Once the game is no longer fun for you, you begin to see it as a dying game. You make yourself believe that its not longer worth playing. Many people will even go as far to post on the forums that the games dying. To which its not you are just moving on away from it.

So for you, you might be moving away from something that you used to like but no longer do. You may see consoles as a cheaper way to play the games you like. If this is the case thats great. However there are still many many many people who still love to play games on a pc. They enjoy doing things with a keyboard and a mouse. They enjoy the freedom of hardware choice without brand specific problems. Oh you have this game do you have this console?! Awe man what do you mean that console is the worst mine is the best....

So to you sir, I tip my hat to the and bid you farewell. With hopes that you enjoy to what your next tastes bring you to.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hello guys, I myself don't think pc gaming is dying. There are over 100,000 members here at ROG and it's growing everyday. That's not counting other companies like evga, gigabyte, msi etc. that sell gaming hardware too.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Mike Kelly's Avatar

How long have we been waiting for Half Life 3 !!!!! They really **** me off !!! LOL

There are many titles that are coming out only for consoles, and if they do come
    out for PC, they are written for the consoles and just ported over.
    I like FPS games and dont play MMO's but many new ones
    like Watch Dogs and other future ones are Third Person Shooters, which
    Im not crazy about either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2