cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC gaming is dying?

revenge666
Level 7
Hi guys, i thinks this would be a good theme for discussion....
i´m a Rog hardware fan, and i remember in the old days we where working in overclocking to squeezzzeee those 3 more fps from the hardware for gamming, today we have more possibilities notebook for gamming motherboard for gamming and everyday we are watching new releases of hardware for gamming overclocking and more stuff.... sincerely ... this is getting pointless the market is turning to console gamming and mobile gamming, we are losing new game releases for pc, and i´m getting worry about that...
i think in the future, most hardware companys would reach to an aliance with gamming developers to continue selling advanced graphics cards, and motherboards or even notebooks for gamers... if something like that don´t reach to a comon understanding i think it will be pointless having a pc of 3 billon dolars for surfing the web ....
what do u think ? leave a comment below.

ps. sorry for my english it´s not the best.
MAximusS V Extreme + XFX 7970 black ed CrossfireX + 3 tb WD Black + Crucial m4 OS/Games + TT 1000W TRX2 + 4 Multi -Display + Xonar DX7.1 + Core i7 3770k + 16gb Gskill TridentX 2.4ghz + LG 2486l display x 3 + philips 42" tv + Thermaltake element V + Harmand/Kardon and Polkaudio 5.1 sound system ready 😛
16 REPLIES 16

Antronman
Level 10
1. It's a topic you'll find often in any tech forum.

2. It is total bull****. Here's why:

The majority of the mobile games market is composed of just about everybody who has a smart phone. It is small, pass-the-time games that cost usually anywhere from 5USD - Free. They don't have a large file size, little work went into developing them and they make tons of money just because of how huge the smart phone market. Along with that, mobile gaming doesn't compete with console or pc gaming, because the platform works completely differently, you don't see a mobile title going on the pc, nor vise versa.

Right now, pc gaming is vastly more profitable than console gaming, and statistics also show that more gamers are switching to the pc, realizing that this isn't 2005 or 2006 anymore, where the console you buy will be infinitely cheaper than any pc you could buy that performs even close to as well as the console does. The Xbox 360 and the PS3 were the first consumer platforms to feature multi-core CPUs. PC gaming is doing better, and will continue to do better.

Now, PCs destroy console performance. The hardware is fluid, and not static (you can upgrade whenever you want, without buying a totally new machine in most cases, or at least being able to reuse some of your older components). The hardware is much, much, much more powerful in every way. You can also create more advanced games for PC only (mmo, ARPG, RTS, arena shooter) because the controls your gamers can use will have far more buttons. Consoles currently often limit the amount of weapons you can carry in an fps to 2 or (rarely) 3. On a PC? There's some games (ex: Unreal Tournament Black) that let you carry 9 frickin' guns.

Along with that, the indie/small studio market on consoles is tiny. There's very few not-AAA, less than 60USD titles on consoles, and most of them suck. The AAA market is tiny on pcs, composing a fraction of the games available on a global platform. I can go on steam, and I will see more titles there than at the local gamestop (obviously).

Along with that, on PCs you can install game modifiers (mods) to enhance existing content, or add additional content. You can also host your own server, adding any modifiers/plugins you like to that server, which creates a much more dynamic in-game world, and also adds more replay value to your game.

Basically, PC >>>>>>>>> Console =/= Mobile
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
1. It's a topic you'll find often in any tech forum.

2. It is total bull****. Here's why:

The majority of the mobile games market is composed of just about everybody who has a smart phone. It is small, pass-the-time games that cost usually anywhere from 5USD - Free. They don't have a large file size, little work went into developing them and they make tons of money just because of how huge the smart phone market. Along with that, mobile gaming doesn't compete with console or pc gaming, because the platform works completely differently, you don't see a mobile title going on the pc, nor vise versa.

Right now, pc gaming is vastly more profitable than console gaming, and statistics also show that more gamers are switching to the pc, realizing that this isn't 2005 or 2006 anymore, where the console you buy will be infinitely cheaper than any pc you could buy that performs even close to as well as the console does. The Xbox 360 and the PS3 were the first consumer platforms to feature multi-core CPUs. PC gaming is doing better, and will continue to do better.

Now, PCs destroy console performance. The hardware is fluid, and not static (you can upgrade whenever you want, without buying a totally new machine in most cases, or at least being able to reuse some of your older components). The hardware is much, much, much more powerful in every way. You can also create more advanced games for PC only (mmo, ARPG, RTS, arena shooter) because the controls your gamers can use will have far more buttons. Consoles currently often limit the amount of weapons you can carry in an fps to 2 or (rarely) 3. On a PC? There's some games (ex: Unreal Tournament Black) that let you carry 9 frickin' guns.

Along with that, the indie/small studio market on consoles is tiny. There's very few not-AAA, less than 60USD titles on consoles, and most of them suck. The AAA market is tiny on pcs, composing a fraction of the games available on a global platform. I can go on steam, and I will see more titles there than at the local gamestop (obviously).

Along with that, on PCs you can install game modifiers (mods) to enhance existing content, or add additional content. You can also host your own server, adding any modifiers/plugins you like to that server, which creates a much more dynamic in-game world, and also adds more replay value to your game.

Basically, PC >>>>>>>>> Console =/= Mobile

Thanks for your point of view,
I diden´t start the thread to discuss the benefits of PC over Console ... clearly you can´t compare a console which cost the same of your video card.... i´m thinking that it would be less gamming studios developing for PC... i´m not comparing technical platforms... because a PC it´s another thing in the whole world of technology that we are diving today.
but i´m seeing less titles for PC and more that are exclusive for gaming consoles... and i think console gaming is more profitable for game developers, because it´s difficult the piracy on that platform.
don´t forget about tablets too ... they are mobile too... and are getting a slice of the public too...

and another thing to think is...... not the better is the best... if electric cars are better than combustion one... why we still using combustion motors? because it´s more profitable for oil companys so the question is what is most profitable? console, pc, or mobile? for game developer studios?
Greetings
MAximusS V Extreme + XFX 7970 black ed CrossfireX + 3 tb WD Black + Crucial m4 OS/Games + TT 1000W TRX2 + 4 Multi -Display + Xonar DX7.1 + Core i7 3770k + 16gb Gskill TridentX 2.4ghz + LG 2486l display x 3 + philips 42" tv + Thermaltake element V + Harmand/Kardon and Polkaudio 5.1 sound system ready 😛

CloudD901
Level 9
There is definitely a large amount of gamers that simply don't know enough about computers to seriously game on the PC. They see consoles as a quick and easy way to get/play games without having to worry about hardware issues, upgrades, or costs. It has always seemed that consoles got more attention than PC's especially since they have the major companies to do their advertising (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft).

Even so, PC gaming is not dying, it will always be there. I'm sure we had even less of a PC game market 10-20 years ago when even less people knew how to work computers. Sure the market for parts may be adjusted for supply/demand, but as long as we are here, there will always be a PC market.

Spoonhandle
Level 7
I'm glad to see a report on exactly how I felt the market was shifting. During the Xbox360 & PS3 console boom the PC gaming market was not as strong as it had been in the past, but even then was definitely not dying. Now as the XBOne and PS4 are that much more powerful/PC like, many gamers are going from consoles to PCs.

" We actually think the launch of the new console systems will help lift the PC game business because there is large overlap between console and PC gamers and it becomes another platform for developers."

The Steambox is a perfect example of this kind of overlap. Steam OS takes the user interface of a PC and makes it more console-like; it's primary purpose is for gaming.
The PC gaming market is not as large as the console market, but it brings in more money and is by no means dying.

EDIT: There is so much information now on how strong the PC gaming market is now, which is very exciting:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/04/why-pc-gaming-has-exploded - This article especially ends in exactly what I had decided with the launch of the XBone and PS4. "Why get a console at all?"

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-state-of-pc-gaming/0127770 - “PC gaming is at an all-time high. Consoles have come into line with PC architecture, there are now more ways to consume content than ever before – we’re seeing great indie and self-published releases capturing the imagination of the market with unbelievable sales,”

Sure the OVERALL sales of PCs are down, but PC gaming has always been a fairly small portion of the entire PC hardware market. So while the overall sales might be down, the PC gaming portion of that is up.

"The PC games market has never been more a more interesting and exciting place to be."

Antronman
Level 10
Again, PC gaming is on the rise.

Vastly more titles on the pc. You'll only find AAA titles on consoles. PCs...

1% AAA
59% Small Studio
40% Indie

PC is also less negatively affected by pirating, and is currently more profitable.

We use combustion engines because they are quite a bit cheaper. Getting an equally performing electric motor takes a lot of R&D money, and it costs more to produce. Thus, it is less profitable for everybody, and less affordable.

Why do you think you don't see as many electric car sales? Because the Tesla S is a pricey bitch. Hybrids are currently considered the #1 mass consumer solution, because the electric motor costs less to make (because it doesn't need to be as powerful or efficient).

Performance solution will always be combustion though :cool:
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
Why do you think you don't see as many electric car sales? Because the Tesla S is a pricey bitch. Hybrids are currently considered the #1 mass consumer solution, because the electric motor costs less to make (because it doesn't need to be as powerful or efficient).

Electric motors are VASTLY more efficient AND more powerful watt-for-watt than an internal combustion motor. The electric motor directly converts electric energy to mechanical energy (internal combustion motors have to convert chemical energy and lose 95% of their efficiency as heat).

The point: The cost of the electric car - even with its ~5000% greater efficiency - is offset by the $10,000 battery and the fact that the technology, while not new, is largely untested in automobiles (compared to the internal combustion engine). This is not unlike the cost of that brand new Titan GPU which becomes so devalued in 6 months that it's taken off the shelves instead of sold at a fraction of its original cost, and you're also paying for hype.

Z

jaisivakumar
Level 7
no definitely not

Radunnn
Level 7
anjyway, u have some exclusive games that are just for some platform (ex xb1 or ps4). but the games that are available for pc i play them at pc because they have better aspect

Gorman
Level 12
How can you even say that?

"In just 5 and a half months, more games have been released on Steam this year than in the entirety of 2013. "

It's crazy to say that pc gaming is going down. Go check out steam, way too many games.

On a sidenote, overclockers are usually overclockers first, gamers second. They don't usually play hardcore. These people who spend $2000 on gpus alone are only marginally gamers. Most gamers have grandfathered bare minimum systems. Most gamers play on lowest graphics settings and they are usually pretty happy about it. In general you can say that if you care about graphics then you aren't a core gamer, you might be a casual gamer or an enthusiast.

Someone up there mentioned steambox. Right, because all pc gamers just secretly want to have a console therefore make pc more like consoles? What a silly idea. The virtualisation is good though and is giving steam a lot of independance. IMO pc gaming has never been better.