cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange freeze in Ubuntu14.04

ppmt_rog
Level 7
Hello,

Brand new on this forum so apologies if I break any rules. I search the forum but it is a big one anf could not find a similar issue.

I just treated myself to a brand new G750JM-DS71. I never had such a fast computer.

I am not a Windows fan so installed Ubuntu 14.04 as Dual boot (pleasantly surprised how easy it was!)

Ubuntu works fine in general but from regularly I experience a total freeze of the GUI. Everything stop mouse included.

The computer is not dead since I can do CTRL+ALT+F1 to go to a console. I can then go bck to the GUI wiht ALT+F7 and it works again...until the next freeze.

I can't find out what is wrong. I suspect the Nvidia driver but can't see any log that would point me to a problem.

Has anyone experienced such an issue?

thanks in advance

Edit: of course as I search again I found this message that mention freezes as well

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35105-Linux-compatibility&p=401165&viewfull=1#post401165

wonder how I could get some more info on it
6 REPLIES 6

billyray520
Level 10
Are you dual booting with Windows 8.1? Are you booting into Grub first? Just curious. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 here, but I have DVDs for Ubuntu 14.4, Kubuntu 14.4, and Debian 7.5 all 64 bit. I'm debating where to use them right now. Is your disk a GPT or MBR? Is it the 5400rpm 1 TB one? Did you install Linux AFTER Windows was already installed? How often is the freeze? How many minutes?
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

ppmt_rog
Level 7
Hi

Yes it is dual boot with Linux. I installed Ubuntu after since the laptop came with windows 8.1
Grub start first offering to either boot in Ubuntu or to launch Windows boot....Both UEFI

The disk is 5400rpm 1TB and I am not sure if it is MBR or GPT (how do I tell?)

As for the freezing it is difficult to say but last time it happened twice in half an hour

I will switch back to the nouveau driver to verify if it is related to the Nvidia driver or not

billyray520
Level 10
That means you probably have GPT. Here's a little description. I was just curious because of the way Windows 8 uses secure boot. But good that Ubuntu installed without a hitch on a Windows 8.1 setup. 😮 Is there any trigger that appears before the freeze? Here's some info on viewing log files in the Log Viewer in Ubuntu that may give you some help on the crashes. The "syslog" looks like a good place to start. The Xorg.0.log should have info about your Graphics card. dMesg log is another good place to look. You can also look under "file" and open other logs (in /var/log) that may look helpful. Anything you open will remain in the left panel even after closing an re-opening, unless you delete the log from the panel. Good luck!
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

ppmt_rog
Level 7
Thanks a lot Billiray520.

I have not found any specific trigger so far. It just happens randomly. The good think is that switching to console and back fixes so opening log files as you mentionned is a a good idea (which I should have thought about 😉 )

if it is allowed I will post some of the tails of these logs.

Thanks also for the links

ppmt_rog
Level 7
Isn't life great....you have a problem then you start looking into and of course it stops happening..

I have been a couple of hours on the laptop last night and experienced no freezes at all...Main (only!) difference was that I was on battery rather than plugged in....

Will try plugged next.

ppmt_rog
Level 7
Ok...upping a bit this one.

I found out why the freeze was no longer happening. In testing around and using nvidia-setting I had instructed the system to use the Intel dirver rather than the Nvidia driver.

As soon as I reenabled the nvidia driver, the freeze reoccurs

I am a but confused now....is there an intel graphic chipset in the laptop? so I have 2 video cards?