cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX USB meltdown!

Darkmattr
Level 7
I'm not sure exactly what happend, but i have a few ideas.. I installed the new BIOS, updated to the newest batttlefield 3 nvidia verde drivers, and installed the windows update intel management engine componants, somewhere along the line I lost access to ALL of my usb slots, not just the finicky but eventually working usb3.0 fresco but all of them.. it will seemingly work but even when i plug in my logitech unified usb for mouse and kb , its got to the point that it will freeze if i try to use the mouse.. I've tried uninstalling and reintalling all drivers and i'm very experienced with this sort of thing but am totally mysystefied here... my usb drivers will all have the yellow ! with the error 19 of device is corrupted in registry or something like that, even when i try to completely removed all traced of both fresco and intel drivers it always boots up the same.. I gotta be missing something.. i believe it may be related mostly to the intel drivers and possibly caused by the intel management engine windows update as the first thing that started messing up before USB was my dvd burner would not even acknowledge, it would just freeze up when i put in any disc and imgburn said it would not initialize..
If someone can help me rescue my system I would be eternally greatful.. 🙂
11 REPLIES 11

Darkmattr
Level 7
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

When you flashed that BIOS did you go back in and reset the BIOS defaults?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Yea that was one of the first things I tried as I have a vertex 2 SSD(tho non-boot in this config) and had to make sure it was still on ahci... so not that.. i've tried messing around in there as it seems likely... another thing i noticed in turbogear now, there is no webcam listed, you know where you can disabled the ODD and cam to save power? there just is ODD now... This made me really think ok the bios is set wierd.. but not the case..

Darkmattr wrote:
Yea that was one of the first things I tried as I have a vertex 2 SSD(tho non-boot in this config) and had to make sure it was still on ahci... so not that.. i've tried messing around in there as it seems likely... another thing i noticed in turbogear now, there is no webcam listed, you know where you can disabled the ODD and cam to save power? there just is ODD now... This made me really think ok the bios is set wierd.. but not the case..

Sounds like your chipset drivers are gone or something.

Personally, if my system was this messed up I'd do either a clean install or I'd do a restore from a backup image even if I DID figure out the problem.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st - heh i hear ya, im just frustrated because I finally got everything set up 🙂 , worst of all though for some reason my system restore was completely disabled, as I first looked to that solution... JD I also feel as if it's a chipset issue.. Unfortunately I don't have my system image...(switched second hard drive out for SSD) So i'm going to have to do a fresh install.. I DO however have my install with drivers and the like on a flash drive along with windows 7 ultimate... Sigh hear we go again..

Thanks a ton for the replies, you guys have been more helpful then anywhere else by far...

Good luck, man!

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Hmm actually I think I just made some progess.. I no longer get that code 19, and a few windows things seemed to kick in and update but it's not picking up my usb drivers correctly... could you tell me what storage drivers you have? it's just picking up my usb drivers as standard ahci usb drivers but with a ! and my ahci intel drivers said like series 6 or something.. isn't it ICH10?

dstrakele
Level 14
If there is no problem in the new BIOS settings, I'd go for a System Restore to an earlier time. That won't change your BIOS, but should undo any registry changes. I did the 202 BIOS flash just yesterday and my USB ports are okay. I didn't choose to set the new BIOS to defaults.

I did notice 3 new Security updates in Windows update this morning, but have not yet installed them. I don't find any bad info on them but this shows you a security update could result in your issue: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/usb-ports-are-disabled-after-ins...

Note that a System Restore also resolved this issue.

I also chose not install the "Optional" new Intel Management Engine as that is described as something corporate IT guys use to remotely manage their minion's workstations.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

irdmoose
Level 10
And of course, the worst case scenario if running a system restore doesn't fix the problem... you might need to re-image the computer from the factory recovery (or a previous image if you've been backing up with something like Acronis or EaseUs). If that doesn't fix it, which it probably will since it seems to be a registry issue, you may need to RMA.