cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to purchase a G750. May I have some advice, please?

Wiggs
Level 7
Hi everyone. With help from this forum, I've decided to plump for a G750, after my Acer 6935G suffered a........mishap.......

Either THIS G750JX

or THIS G750JM + an SSD. Perhaps THIS SAMSUNG

But I'm at a loss as to which to go for.

The 860M has definite appeal, but I'm just worried about all this Optimus stuff I keep reading about. Now I do like oldish games eg. Doom3, Quake4, even ye olde RTCW; and I don't mind a tinker, but I don't really want ball ache every time I install one.

Also I read that you can't up the frequency of the screen with Optimus enabled, which I also understand is a desirable thing to do.

I love the idea of Optimus, but it seems badly implemented and a bit restrictive.

I guess what I'm asking is:

Is it worth having the newer GPU and have Optimus, or the older GPU without Optimus? And is there anything else to consider between my choices apart from the obvious differences in spec?

If you guys and girls could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers. Rob.
20 REPLIES 20

sasuke256
Level 7
Seems like the old gen are running cooler too..
Laptop : ASUS G750JW : i7 4700HQ - 16Gb - 2Tb HDD - GTX 765M OC (+135/500) - Full HD Matte - Win 8.1
Retiered : Toshiba L670 i5 560M/8Gb Corsair/1TB/HD5650 1Gb @ 625/800 /WD 1Tb USB3/Win7

HomieOC
Level 7
I think old gens are running a bit cooler.. my cpu idles at 42 c and gpu 44 c.. i have a G750 JZ with 880m I love optimus to be honest.. I haven't had any issues with it.

Bgallodoro24
Level 7
My 750JM will be here in two days. I will let you know what i think when it gets here. I personally think people overthink these things. I dont care if you buy a million dollar Ferrari, somebody somewhere will find something wrong with it. I think what really matters is if you are happy with your decision. After all do you think the man driving the Ferrari cares what everyone else thinks of his car lol? No matter what you pick its still better than 99% of everyone elses's.

hmscott
Level 12
Wiggs wrote:
Hi everyone. With help from this forum, I've decided to plump for a G750, after my Acer 6935G suffered a........mishap.......

Either THIS G750JX

or THIS G750JM + an SSD. Perhaps THIS SAMSUNG

But I'm at a loss as to which to go for.

The 860M has definite appeal, but I'm just worried about all this Optimus stuff I keep reading about. Now I do like oldish games eg. Doom3, Quake4, even ye olde RTCW; and I don't mind a tinker, but I don't really want ball ache every time I install one.

Also I read that you can't up the frequency of the screen with Optimus enabled, which I also understand is a desirable thing to do.

I love the idea of Optimus, but it seems badly implemented and a bit restrictive.

I guess what I'm asking is:

Is it worth having the newer GPU and have Optimus, or the older GPU without Optimus? And is there anything else to consider between my choices apart from the obvious differences in spec?

If you guys and girls could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers. Rob.

Rob, it's a tough decision for everyone ready to purchase a new G750 on the pro's / cons's of both the non-Optimus / Optimus G750's.

The JX will run cooler, overclock further, and not have any Optimus concerns at all, everything you install will run on the GTX770m, including the OS - and you won't have to give further thought to it.

The only thought will be - if you have it at all, did I miss out by going with the JX instead of the JM, and I think in this case the comparison isn't fair to the JM - a closer comparison would be to the JS - the JM won't be faster than the JX.

Even the JS won't be noticeably faster than the JX, if at all - especially if you get a JX with normally high OC potential on the 770m.

There is nothing else different in the models between the non-Optimus and Optimus models. Nothing.

Except if you check on newegg, the last generation prices have gone up and the new generation Optimus laptops are already getting good discounts.

If you already have an Optimus G750, and it doesn't overheat, and your games all run as hoped for, and you don't mind the CPU fan spinning up often, then you are set, and I wouldn't suggest changing to a JW/JX/JH.

Otherwise if it is a new purchase, give the reports being made serious consideration as to your own preferences, and get the one you think you will be happy with 🙂

Either way, you will be happy with whatever G750 you end up with. Happier than with an overpriced Alienware, and happier than with a noisy/hot MSI.

And, except for the G750JW/JX/JH, you will have to deal with Optimus in all the other laptops. Only the G750JW/JX/JH don't have Optimus.

gazzacbr
Level 10
@Wiggs: hmm, interesting. i also came from similar Acer but a 6920G. had it for 5 years and upped the graphics card (for newer games) and wifi (for mac os x). with 2xssd's in there its still good and looks like new.
my daughter has it now for school stuff.
but we digress...
I am really happy with my JX. it will run all of the old games you mention and the latest on high or ultra.
i play BF4, Crysis 3 and FarCry without any problems.
Metro Last Light plays great in 3D.
so do 3D movies in full HD.
I multi boot with os x mavericks and the optimess would not run well.
I have the shiny 3D screen, no muddy matte for me. at 120hz its really clear and sharp.
i figured if the gloss was really annoying i can just get a matte screen protector but if the matte was annoying then i am stuck with it.
so far its not been a problem.
also see the problems some folks are having with stripes and grid lines on the 2D screens. its hard to tell how much of a problem that really is. just the few people who write in here or its the general case.
seems that even people with a lot of knowledge have still not solved the problems and some are actually swapping out the screen.
see it before you buy.
maybe you will be lucky.

p.s. what exactly was the 'mishap' 😉
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

Thank you very much for the comments.
I thought the JX and JM was a fair comparison, due to the newer 860M being roughly equivalent to the older 770M. But I certainly take on board what you're saying, hmscott. I was unaware of the good OC potential of the 770M. Interesting!
The G750JS is a step too far for me in the back pocket department. That's about $2400! Things are pricey in the UK.

I was indeed looking at the MSI's, but the noise and heat put me off somewhat.

As for the Acer 6935g, I loved it. T9400 (6M Cache, 2.53 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB), 9600GT-M, 1080 screen. Quiet and speedy. Bit heavy though, 6kg!

In a nutshell:
Either the backlight or inverter failed. Dismantled an old laptop to gain a test screen for troubleshooting.
Dismantled the Acer. What a pigs what-not that was!! Had to totally remove the lid from the base just to get to the inverter. A real pain. A lot of the guts were exposed.
Plugged in test screen. Just as I plugged in the power (the battery was totally shagged), the screen slipped and touched something it shouldn't have.
Pop, pop, fizz. Hmmm, that doesn't smell good.
Cue many expletives. Effing school boy error....... Idiot.

Wiggs wrote:
Thank you very much for the comments.
I thought the JX and JM was a fair comparison, due to the newer 860M being roughly equivalent to the older 770M. But I certainly take on board what you're saying, hmscott. I was unaware of the good OC potential of the 770M. Interesting!
The G750JS is a step too far for me in the back pocket department. That's about $2400! Things are pricey in the UK.

Wiggs, the new G750's are about equivalent to their old model in the line. The JW = JM, JX = JS, and JZ = JH, the new models do have new graphics cards, but they have been tuned to be about the same performance, a little more in some things, a little less in others.

Like gazzacbr said, you should try to look at and hold a G750 before purchasing, it will help you decide to see and compare in person. But, if your Acer weighed 6kg, then the G750 will seem a bit light to you at only 4kg 🙂

Let us know what you end up getting 🙂

Never ever buy Asus products.
I got my G750JX in Dec 2013. the laptop's 17" screen die off within 6 months. Sent in the laptop for warranty claim and it is sitting there for over 2 weeks, no respond from Asus service center! Asus Malaysia's official service center is located at Plaza Lawyat, in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. The machine is still with them and until today.
I called the service center to follow up my case. Non of my calls are being picked up!
I called Asus Call center, non of them able to give me a proper status update. Non of them able to let me know when can I get my laptop back!!!
The most interesting part is, Asus Service center told me that all the services / warranty done on all Asus products are outsourced to 3rd party service tech. Asus totally has NO CONTROL over these 3rd party service tech.
Asus Service center tell me to keep waiting. They totally have NO IDEA when will my laptop able to be repaired.

I have put up multiple complaint e-mail via Asus support site. Asus don't even bother to respond to my complaints.

I am using my laptop for both gaming purpose and work. This kind of lousy after sales service caused me my work.
I don't have any laptop to use until today. I have no choice but to buy another laptop for replacement while waiting for my G750JX.
I am so frustrated. Call Asus Call center many many times and still no news and solutions on my issue.
I can't even get to Asus Malaysia management to seek for help on my issue.

So you can see now Asus after sales service really sucks all the way up.
Unless you are not planning to service your machine after purchase.
If you value your purchase, if you value after sales service, please buy other brand.
Never ever consider Asus. Don't fall into my situation.

World class product with **** up after sales = total rubbish!
I regret my decision to buy Asus today.

hmscott wrote:
Wiggs, the new G750's are about equivalent to their old model in the line. The JW = JM, JX = JS, and JZ = JH, the new models do have new graphics cards, but they have been tuned to be about the same performance, a little more in some things, a little less in others.

Like gazzacbr said, you should try to look at and hold a G750 before purchasing, it will help you decide to see and compare in person. But, if your Acer weighed 6kg, then the G750 will seem a bit light to you at only 4kg 🙂

Let us know what you end up getting 🙂

That's another nugget of info I didn't know. Cheers for that.

Unfortunately I don't think any retail stores over here actually stock the G750. So I don't think I'll actually be able to hold one. I don't mind too much though.

JazJazJaz79 wrote:
Never ever buy Asus products.
I got my G750JX in Dec 2013. the laptop's 17" screen die off within 6 months. Sent in the laptop for warranty claim and it is sitting there for over 2 weeks, no respond from Asus service center! Asus Malaysia's official service center is located at Plaza Lawyat, in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. The machine is still with them and until today.
I called the service center to follow up my case. Non of my calls are being picked up!
I called Asus Call center, non of them able to give me a proper status update. Non of them able to let me know when can I get my laptop back!!!
The most interesting part is, Asus Service center told me that all the services / warranty done on all Asus products are outsourced to 3rd party service tech. Asus totally has NO CONTROL over these 3rd party service tech.
Asus Service center tell me to keep waiting. They totally have NO IDEA when will my laptop able to be repaired.

I have put up multiple complaint e-mail via Asus support site. Asus don't even bother to respond to my complaints.

I am using my laptop for both gaming purpose and work. This kind of lousy after sales service caused me my work.
I don't have any laptop to use until today. I have no choice but to buy another laptop for replacement while waiting for my G750JX.
I am so frustrated. Call Asus Call center many many times and still no news and solutions on my issue.
I can't even get to Asus Malaysia management to seek for help on my issue.

So you can see now Asus after sales service really sucks all the way up.
Unless you are not planning to service your machine after purchase.
If you value your purchase, if you value after sales service, please buy other brand.
Never ever consider Asus. Don't fall into my situation.

World class product with **** up after sales = total rubbish!
I regret my decision to buy Asus today.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I always expect the worst from customer service in general, and have come to accept it.

Must be the English in me. We LOVE to queue ya know! 😛