cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z97 Sabertooth VCore Temp

JimmyH
Level 10
I am having an issue with my Sabertooth Z97 Ver 1.

Just operating at stock, no XMP, No OC. The ambient is 22 C with 87% humidity.

My CPU temp using Core Temp is around the 36 Deg Average, but my VCore Temp is showing as 60 Deg C. How do I lower that?
20 REPLIES 20

JuDREDDge
Level 7
JimmyH wrote:
I am having an issue with my Sabertooth Z97 Ver 1.

Just operating at stock, no XMP, No OC. The ambient is 22 C with 87% humidity.

My CPU temp using Core Temp is around the 36 Deg Average, but my VCore Temp is showing as 60 Deg C. How do I lower that?

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM - about a 20c separation at all times from CPU TO VCORE TEMP.
So far ASUS support has given me no answers, does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
Is it normal ?

Same problems. 23 degrees ambient in the room, 4670k OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.2 volts.

For whatever reason, I get this: http://i.imgur.com/ZWsHi7l.png

Possible issue across the whole line?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not sure that this is an issue? The CPU is working as required the temps are within the normal expected range I would suggest.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

My Sabertooth Mark 1 has the same temperature problem: 4790k CPU idling 30-32c and the vCore temps idle around 50c; then whilst gaming the CPU gets up to around 40-42c and the vCore to 68c. I'm wondering if you've installed the included fans for the armor ... I haven't and I'm thinking that might be why those vCore temps are so high. I'm about to install mine in a moment to see if it makes a difference.

Well, I installed those little fans and the vCore is still showing a solid 50c at idle, however the CPU is idling 28-30c now, which is about 2c cooler total range. There was an improvement, however, on the vCore (back) which at idle is 37c now, which is where the one fan is.

Anyone try running with the vents wide-open? With or without the little fans?

Edit:

So after running some games in good graphics the CPU peaked at 40c and the vCore didn't get over 56c. Looks like those fans are definitely a necessity.

I had the same problem, with high temps for the vCore and vCore back (VRM) on the Z97 Mk1. However, I've solved the problem without installing the small assistant fans (I didn't want to install them, and I understood that they are optional).

I used Asus AISuite Thermal Radar and Digi+ VRM controls. Within this I noticed one glaring stat - CPU load line calibration was set to maximum (level 8). Now, I am not currently overclocking my 4790K, so there is no reason for a high level of LLC. Further, the CPU Power Phase Control was set to "Extreme" instead of standard. I will add also that I have set neither of these options, and they appear - at least for me - to be the default settings for the board, which I'm really quite surprised to find.

Suffice to say, I've adjusted both settings. As soon as I lowered LLC to level 1 my vCore temp dropped from around 65c to 42c within a few minutes of clicking 'apply'. No other changes necessary. To me it's kind of crazy to have load line calibration set so high from the off.

Syphadeus wrote:
I had the same problem, with high temps for the vCore and vCore back (VRM) on the Z97 Mk1. However, I've solved the problem without installing the small assistant fans (I didn't want to install them, and I understood that they are optional).

I used Asus AISuite Thermal Radar and Digi+ VRM controls. Within this I noticed one glaring stat - CPU load line calibration was set to maximum (level 8). Now, I am not currently overclocking my 4790K, so there is no reason for a high level of LLC. Further, the CPU Power Phase Control was set to "Extreme" instead of standard. I will add also that I have set neither of these options, and they appear - at least for me - to be the default settings for the board, which I'm really quite surprised to find.

Suffice to say, I've adjusted both settings. As soon as I lowered LLC to level 1 my vCore temp dropped from around 65c to 42c within a few minutes of clicking 'apply'. No other changes necessary. To me it's kind of crazy to have load line calibration set so high from the off.

This is an excellent reply and also solved my problem of the VCORE temp at 65c. Unfortunately the setting's reset everything I restart the computer. If I do not manually change it each time I start the computer, it return to 65c after about 30 mins. With the above settings, I have no issue, but upon restart the problem returns.

appreciate if anyone can help.

babu_my wrote:
This is an excellent reply and also solved my problem of the VCORE temp at 65c. Unfortunately the setting's reset everything I restart the computer. If I do not manually change it each time I start the computer, it return to 65c after about 30 mins. With the above settings, I have no issue, but upon restart the problem returns.

appreciate if anyone can help.

Hey babu_my, figured out why the settings were not saving for me. Entering BIOS (F2 or DEL on boot) I changed my Ez System Tuning profile to Normal. Then when entering Advanced Mode found that under the Ai Tweaker tab my Ai Overclock Tuner was set to Manual so I changed it over to Auto. After that checked the External DIGI+ Power Control section and found that my CPU Load-line Calibration was also set to Auto, changed it to Level 1. Further down I also found that CPU Power Phase control was set to Extreme changed this setting to Standard. Went back to Ez Mode and Saved & Exited.

Tested out the new settings in a round of BF4, before changing it I would connect and last roughly 20 seconds in game before crashing, this time I was able to finish the round.

Before I was changing the settings in the Ai Suite application not in the BIOS, not sure where you are changing your LLC levels but maybe try the BIOS option.

Will keep updating if this fails to fix the problem.

HiVizMan
Level 40
LLC at 1 is the way to go for a 24/7 system for sure. I think that auto is set to quite a high level. Thank you Syphadeus for posting your findings. Great first post.

You a big Star Wars fan?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.