cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JW Framerate Drop

Retired
Not applicable
Hi guys,

Lately, I've noticed a weird problem while playing games on my G73-JW. A game will boot, run 60FPS just fine and then, about 5-7 minutes in, suddenly experience a 33% drop in framerate. This has happened in both Mass Effect and Call of Juarez. I play games through steam.

I don't think it's scene rendering related because, just now, I booted CoJ and just let it sit there, in-game, for 5 minutes and, BAM, it dropped from 60 to 40 FPS while staring at a wall.

I would really like my frames back! Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4

JRd1st
Level 12
Check out this thread - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3322-Sandybridge-Throttle-Issue-and-Workaround
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply.

I don't know if that thread is applicable. It says that it is for Sandybridge and I am pretty sure my proc is in the Clarksfield family?

irdmoose
Level 10
It's not a throttling issue related to Sandybridge. I have a G73JW as well, and I don't have those issues. Two things to try: 1) do a clean reinstall of the latest NVidia drivers. 2) Update your other drivers from Asus.

Hopefully that solves the issue. If not, you might need to do a wipe/reinstall of windows. If that doesn't fix it, you will probably need to RMA your laptop.

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks, Moose.

I just spent some time with throttle stop and think that I can eliminate throttling as the root of my problem. I already have fully updated ASUS drivers so will prolly roll with a clean install of Nvidia drivers.