cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus 7 Gene - The road to overclocking memory without increasing voltage

Raja
Level 13
One for the tweakers this. Just toying with some of the advanced settings for DRAM on the M7 Gene. Wanted to see if I could push this Corsair kit to CR1 instead of CR2 (XMP spec) without over-voltage.

Adjusting these was pivotal. Every digit counts. Takes a few days of patience...:

I use the commercial version of Memtest (Memtest Deluxe) by HCI for tuning these settings. One setting at a time, keeping an eye on whether the errors occur sooner or later with each change. A wrong setting can result in a non-POST, and the window for POST is narrow.

Each CPU and memory kit will require different settings.

-Raja
18 REPLIES 18

Raja
Level 13
Above kit is 4X4GB 🙂

Raja
Level 13
Tried 4 X 8GB modules from Corsair's Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3MBA2133C9. This kit is rated 2133 at CAS 9 with a command rate of 2. On Z97 it can run faster at the same voltage - dual channel helps obviously. Tweaking settings helps tighten up secondary timings:

Alex-Ro
Level 10
Hey raja,relly informative post.Could you post auto values for psc or samsung kits,i mean so we should know where to start from ? ,example if i boot at psc 2666 8-12-8 what does auto mean,or samsung 2800 9-12-12 ?

Raja
Level 13
Alex, if I had time I would. I have a few things I need to get done over the next 6 weeks.

Why don't you have a go? It's not that hard - takes a day or two to dial in. You just need to be patient and change only one setting at a time. Start at the top of the list and work down. Find where it will POST and where it won't and dial up or down checking for stability. Then move on to the next setting when you find the sweet spot.

Alex-Ro
Level 10
I know man,but time is not on my side either.Knowing auto values at given frequencies would narrow down the search area by quite a lot 🙂 I only asked because u could have this kind of info from technical team pretty easy 🙂

Raja
Level 13
I did it all myself actually - which is why I'm encouraging others to try. Each board, CPU and kit will require tuning - might be slightly different. It is not that hard to find values if you go down the list. 🙂

Seems nobody has passion for tweaking or learning new stuff any more. Everybody wants super easy OC these days or all settings explained without doing much research or self-study. This is just an observation of a growing trend. Fewer people have time for "tweaker OC" than a few years back. Maybe you guys are noticing the same thing.

At least you have some interest in it Alex. That much is good. It's for you guys that I post this stuff in the first place. I can lead a horse to water but.. Well you know the rest.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Seems nobody has passion for tweaking or learning new stuff any more.

Well you can count me in as interested....!

Just finished finalising and tuning my CPU OC settings recently - so now I'm bored and want to concentrate on OC'ing my memory...but on a M7H.

Currently running some Corsair 16Gb [2x8] CAS 9 2133 sticks @ 2200Mhz CR=1 @ stock 1.65v

Want to play with timings to see how much tighter [if i can] I can get. Timings currently set to default XMP = 9 11 11 31 for these sticks.

BTW Raja - I just tried to download the ROG Mem Tweak It utility and I receive a 404 (page not found) error when clicking on the ROG link for Mem Tweak It in the downloads section??

Raja@ASUS wrote:
I did it all myself actually - which is why I'm encouraging others to try. Each board, CPU and kit will require tuning - might be slightly different. It is not that hard to find values if you go down the list. 🙂

Seems nobody has passion for tweaking or learning new stuff any more. Everybody wants super easy OC these days or all settings explained without doing much research or self-study. This is just an observation of a growing trend. Fewer people have time for "tweaker OC" than a few years back. Maybe you guys are noticing the same thing.

At least you have some interest in it Alex. That much is good. It's for you guys that I post this stuff in the first place. I can lead a horse to water but.. Well you know the rest.

Might be an old thread and from what it seems .. its not very active, but randomly browsing threads can catch well said things apperantly 😛

@Raja - well said, too many not putting the effort into things to achieve OC levels.

Raja
Level 13
Have you tried downloading MemTweakIT from the Maximus VII Hero support page (Utilitities section) or check if it is on your support disc (use whichever is newer)?