cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor Advice

Fakesoap
Level 7
I bought the Z87-GD65 MSI motherboard. It has a LGA 1150 socket. What is a good processor that doesn't break the bank but still will do better than good for gaming?
6 REPLIES 6

Fakesoap
Level 7
I can always upgrade it later, I just need something that is pretty good till I can build up enough cash for upgrading.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Fakesoap :)...what would you like to spend?

Something like a i54670K is about $230

Top of the line i74770K is roughly $300

The K processors are unlocked for overclocking. if you are not into that then get the non K versions for a bit less. there are other processors but all of them are not so far from $200 and you can get a i54670 (non k version) for about that give or take a few dollars.

Thank you Arne Saknussemm.

I think I'm going to go with the i74770K.

Another question for you, What would be good RAM for this board? I'm trying to stay with 1333, but I was wondering if more of lower speed ones are better than fewer higher speed ones. Thoughts?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Right you are that is a great CPU for gaming...hyperthreading etc. If you OC it to say 4.3 or 4.4 GHz (with a good CPU cooler) it will game on for a good while....

RAM? something like a Trident X kit would be good. Really for gaming I think 8GB is OK though many go with the 16GB kits for a bit more leeway in the future. Gaming and general day to day computing isn't really affected by RAM speed just benchmarking really; so 1600 or 1866 or 2133 is more than fine I reckon....have a look around for a good offer. Fewer sticks is best so get a 2x4 kit or 2x8 kit for 8 and 16GB respectively and only go for one single kit...don't combine two 8GB kits to make 16GB for example...can give you problems.

Having said that about speed it of course doesn't hurt you any to have fast RAM and this 8GB kit is fast and good value http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32400c10d8gtx it's the same price as the 1600 kit so a no brainer to go for the faster one...

IM2L844
Level 12
And, following on what Arne said, to reiterate for emphasis, if you decide to spring for 16GB of RAM, don't make the same mistake I've made by simply getting 2 of the 8GB kits. Pay the extra $20.00 premium and get a single 16GB kit like: Trident-X Model_F3-2400C10D-16GTX (the 16GB counterpart to Arne's suggested 8GB kit)

Praz
Level 13
Fakesoap wrote:
I bought the Z87-GD65 MSI motherboard. It has a LGA 1150 socket. What is a good processor that doesn't break the bank but still will do better than good for gaming?

Hello

Why would you ask this at a support forum for ASUS motherboards. Part of the price of the motherboard is for the support that is included. Maybe ask MSI this question.